+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Enterprise Anti virus in Technical; Hi all, We are (at last!) getting shot of Mcafee (if anyone is thinking of buying it, Don't, absolutely useless ...

Thank Post

Enterprise Anti virus

Hi all,

We are (at last!) getting shot of Mcafee (if anyone is thinking of buying it, Don't, absolutely useless IMO!!), and are looking for another AV solution for our school network.

What are people's opinions on the AV they use, I am looking at the following:

AVG enterprise
    Kaspersky
    Panda
    Sophos

What are people's experiences of using any of the above?

Cheers

Manick

PEO
    Thank Post
    most LEA use nod32.

I wouldn't recomend sophos. I think AVG is ok for the home. never used the other 2

Thank Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply,

NOD32 ??? wassat then?

TBH, I'm not that interested in Sophos either having used it at my last school, it needed quite a bit of configuring as I recall, and it wasn't that hot.

AVG is absolutely fantastic for home use and I am hoping that this transfers to enterprise use, anybody answer this?

Ta

Thank Post
    I Use Sophos and would recommend it every time. We use it on all our clients,Microsoft servers and Novell servers. You can do all the admin from one very easy to use console and it wasn't difficult setting it up. The latest version alerts you to suspicious file and lets you control which applications are authorized or not.

Thank Post
    NOD32 seems to be recommended on a lot of sites I use. I also know people who use it and from what they've told me it's very effective. They're home users though so I'm not sure what it's like on a network.

http://www.eset.com/solutions/enterprise.php

Thank Post

NOD32

We use NOD32 on the school network. It has a very small footprint does not "interfere" with usage but is very effective. Admin and monitoring tools are easy to use - deployment, configuration, scans etc. I switched from Sophos which was way too invasive and slowed my network quite considerably, but I guess it depends on your set-up.

Having used it at home for many years I have been really pleased that it is as good on my work computers and system.

Hope this helps with the evaluation.

p.s. Eset do education prices
    Last edited by leco; 25th January 2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: forgot the education price option

Thank Post
    NOD32 here as well i couldn't beleive how much better it was than Symanec, way smaller footprint and the admin tools are comparable.

http://www.eset.com/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manick View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply,

NOD32 ??? wassat then?

TBH, I'm not that interested in Sophos either having used it at my last school, it needed quite a bit of configuring as I recall, and it wasn't that hot.

AVG is absolutely fantastic for home use and I am hoping that this transfers to enterprise use, anybody answer this?

Ta
    We used to use AVG. Very reasonable pricing (50% discount for education, license lasts for 2 years). It ran generally OK, not the best at virus detection, and it was an absolute b*tch to manage if you happen to have mismatched core AVG files (eg if an engine update failed). We moved away from it when the LEA had already paid for a blanket solution for all schools (the cr*p InoculateIT)

Thank Post
    Many thanks guys,

After doing a bit of reading up, taking into account what you are all saying and looking at virus bulletin's top 100 (VB), I'm now looking at:
    Nod32
    Sophos (never thought I'd say that)
    Kaspersky.

Panda seemed pretty desperate, saying they'd undercut any other AV by 10%!!, they didn't do very well in the VB tests, having failed quite a few.

NOD32 is quite expensive, but does look the better AV, it all boils down to management at the end of the day and what they're prepared to fork out.

Cheers

Thank Post
    We use CA Etrust. Have done for years. Easy to install, never seems to go wrong on the client side...can lock it down with it's management and policies etc.

Thank Post
    AVG for us - has worked a treat so far though I have experienced the problem when the core engine files get out of step with everything else and it starts to winge.

Mind you, we retained McAfee on our servers though - purely for Groupshield Exchange which is licenced on a per-server basis rather than a per-mailbox basis like a lot of other stuff can be - in a school with 1000+ mailboxes, that made economic sense irrespective of my thoughts on McAfee.

By running two distinct and seperate products across server and clients we hope that something that gets past one will get caught by the other.

I've never had to put that to the test, but have this wierd feeling I've just hexed it by speaking out...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have sophos here. And whilst the new console is quite good, there do seem to be an awful lot of problems with the clients. I have 25% reporting errors at the moment.

Thank Post
    We too use Sophos and see 5% - 10% errors

Normaly just failed to update in time errors though.

Thank Post
    We use NOD32 internally and on all our customers sites. Very easy to install and highly configurable. Works well even on older slower machine which symantec/Norton would grind to a halt.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread