+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, NETGEAR WFS709TP ProSafe Managed Wireless in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

NETGEAR WFS709TP ProSafe Managed Wireless

Does anyone have one of these?

Basically I can't afford managed wireless (£5k plus), but at Bett i was told by the Netgear chaps that this retails at around £1,500 - affordable for me, and as we have the compatible Netgear Prosafe WAP's on our laptop trolleys I wouldn't have to purchase too many aerials.

Does anyone know why this seems so cheap?

Does it have any disadvantages over a more expensive solution?

Cheers, Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Look at this "OEM version of Aruba Network's 800-series controller paired with Netgear's own lightweight-series access points." http://www.networkcomputing.com/show...800770&pgno=11

Thank Post
    I'm dragging this thread back up as crunch time has now arrived and sadly the comparison guide I was hoping for, hasn't materialised (not to demean anyones efforts!)

So, did or has anyone plumped for one of the Netgear WFS709TP units and how have you found things so far?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    I'm dragging this thread back up as crunch time has now arrived and sadly the comparison guide I was hoping for, hasn't materialised (not to demean anyones efforts!)

So, did or has anyone plumped for one of the Netgear WFS709TP units and how have you found things so far?
    Yep!!

Just waiting for delivery of 48 dummy clients, 3 controllers!!

Also purchased 9 netgear POE (Power Over Ethernet) switches

Will let you know how it goes next week

5. Thanks to benIT from:

contink (11th April 2008)

Thank Post
    I can definately recommend the WFS709TP as we have 2 of them linked together serving 32 WAGL102 light access points. We went down this route as we had previously installed 30 WG302 access points 3 years ago which were great but did not support VLANs or multiple SSID's (this has been added to the WG302v2).

We have configured the units with 4 SSID's over 3 VLANs and with 4 different authentication methods without a problem. One of the great benefits is that the light access points are reset if they lose connection with the switch.

In answer to why they are so cheap it is partly because they can only control 16 APs per controller and you can only stack 3 controllers together linking 48 APs max. If you need more than this you would have to look at a higher cost unit.

Another great thing about these is I have had great experiences with netgear support for blue (business) products.

I Hope this helps.

7. 2 Thanks to trekmad:

contink (11th April 2008), Gatt (27th January 2010)

Thank Post
    4 SSID's over 3 VLANs and with 4 different authentication methods
    If you got a minute, would you mind explaining a bit more about your setup please as it looks very interesting?

Particularly interested as to why its so complex.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Our setup in as follows by VLAN.

Vlan 1 (default network VLAN) has two SSIDs

1. SECWIRELESS - Radius authenticated wireless allowing our staff laptops which are domain members to connect to our network.

2. SECWIRELESS2 - WPA Shared passphrase allowing staff PDA's, Mobile phones and approved govenors/visitors laptops to connect to our network.

Vlan 2 (Student Internet)

INTERNET - open authentication allowing our boarders to connect to the internet. This is on a separate VLAN directing traffic from the AP's wireless network to a Firewall/Router which has filtering packs on to prevent access to undesirable content.

Vlan 3 (Voip)

SECVoip - open authentication allowing our wireless Mitel handsets to connect to our telephone system over wifi.

Vlan 3 has highest priority on both our Lan and WLan to ensure voice calls stay active under high traffic conditions.

VLANs 1 and 2 exist to separate internet traffic to different broadband lines as our max available broadband speed is around 5MB. Additionally it provides security for our core network to restrict our students from disrupting our core network.

Thank Post
    I'm interested in the load-balancing aspects of it:
    Am I right in thinking that if there are multiple clients (like a set of laptops) in the range of 2 or more APs, it will automatically balance them between the APs. So - even if the signal strength on one AP is poorer, it will still send a few clients to that AP because, overall, the throughput will be higher than everyone connecting to the loudest AP.

What about the a/g version? If the clients have a/g cards, will it automatically balance the clients between the 2 frequencies?

How's about:
    We have a network of 8 unmanaged g-only APs. I was thinking of replacing those with the managed wireless solution (most classrooms will get very good signal from 1 AP and weak signal from 1 or 2 others) - this should provide basic coverage everywhere.
    But, to cater for our 30 laptops (half of which have a/g cards - the other half have a/b internal (but currently disabled) and g external), allow staff to plug in another 1 or 2 mobile APs to a nearby ethernet socket. I was thinking that, with 802.11a having 8 non-overlapping frequencies that would be a good way of providing extra capacity. Will the controller cope with this? i.e. will it say, "oh yes, there is already one AP using channel 1, and another using channel 5, so these new ones can use channels 8 and 13".
    Then, it should load-balance the pcs between them?

Thank Post
    @trekmad
    Very interesting.

I haven't quite grasped why you have 2 separate SSIDs on Vlan1 - please point me off to an article if you don't want to give me a 101 lecture

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 935 Posts
    I would say he has 2 as some devices won't support the high level stuff that RADIUS maybe uses and also if you have a governor just popping in who needs the internet you don't want to have to add it to all that RADIUS stuff to get it online instead just bang in a wep key and off you go.

13. Thanks to john from:

SimpleSi (13th April 2008)

Thank Post
    John is spot on.

15. Thanks to trekmad from:

SimpleSi (13th April 2008)

Thank Post
    @treckmad:
    Do you use the 802.11a/g version? If so, can you take a look at my question above?
    I've downloaded the manual and I can't find anything that explains how the load-balancing works, making me wonder if it even does it.

Thanks,

Thank Post
    @eean: From my research the wireless guide, Prosafe does support load balancing and automatic RF management. Assuming that the Netgear kit works the same as others, you can use the same SSID on both radios in the dual-band APs and the solution should balance across the all the radios.

A note about the Netgear is that it supports the least number of APs in a solution (16 per controller with a maximum of 48 per solution - 32 with a redundant controller).

One of the problems I am having with the guide is getting info from manufacturers... for instance Netgear sent me some marketing blurb saying how great their networking products are because they have metal enclosures!

18. Thanks to Ric_ from:

eean (13th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    A note about the Netgear is that it supports the least number of APs in a solution (16 per controller with a maximum of 48 per solution - 32 with a redundant controller).networking products are because they have metal enclosures!
    This is true Ric but remember not everyone is dealing with a secondary size site.. this sort of limitation is not going to be an issue for a Primary unless they're housing 1000 pupils!

As for the marketing spiel.. Gah!

I think overall I've decided to go for this unit for the project I've got lined up. How it performs we'll see... but certainly I'm going to be giving it a thrashing with about 8-10 AP's and 80+ laptops so I'll keep you posted

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @eean: From my research the wireless guide, Prosafe does support load balancing and automatic RF management. Assuming that the Netgear kit works the same as others, you can use the same SSID on both radios in the dual-band APs and the solution should balance across the all the radios.
    Thanks.
    So, if I had 15 a/g clients, it would put roughly half on a and the other on g. Then, should another 15g-only clients come along, it'd move some of the a/gs to a to free up space on g for the g-onlys. If it does, that's bloody cleaver but I wonder if I'm expecting too much.

I don't want to spend 2k on some kit and ripping out all the APs we have, when I could have achieved something similar by creating a few extra SSIDs for mobile-APs and assigning specific computers to them.

Now, this is a long shot, but I'll ask.
    Anyone know what happens when a client has 2 cards. So my RMs have a/b cards (which are currently disabled) and g-only external. How would Windows and the APs cope if the internal card were re-enabled (b disabled on the AP or, possibly, card). I'm guessing there's no way of making senible use of this internal a card (like teaming the adaptors together??) and windows will make 2 separate connections and access them in the order specified in "Network connections - advanced settings"?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast