+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, NETGEAR WFS709TP ProSafe Managed Wireless in Technical; @eean: There are systems (such as Bluesocket) that can make use of your existing kit which might help ease your ...

Thank Post
    @eean: There are systems (such as Bluesocket) that can make use of your existing kit which might help ease your migration costs.

I think you are asking a bit much for 'teaming' your wireless interfaces though. This is a limitation of Windows networking though rather than the wireless solutions.

Thank Post
    I am just in the process of setting up a some netgear WFS709TP units.

I am having some problems with settings, so far I have configured....

On the Controller...

enabled 802.1x/WEP
    Enabled RADIUS
    Added Windows 2008 Radious Details (IP Etc)

The server is set to do not authentication ( is this right? Or do I need to create selfsigned certificate?)

The clients connect ok, but keep saying "Validating Identity" and "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network xxnamexx"

Any help appreciated

Ben

Thank Post
    Right... here's my initial insight into this little joyous bundle.

1. Firmware = image management (WTF?!)
    2. Documentation = 200+ pages (but useful)
    3. Time = find Dr Who or a suitable Time Lord to take you back a few millenia so you don't die before you work it all out :P

Ok... so it's not that bad but it's not that easy either. A few tips to the uninitiated.

DHCP:
    Don't just plug the switch in and then forget about it... If you leave it without at least running the basic setup you'll find your DHCP server being pushed around by the one on the switch. As soon as you've done basic setup though it turns DHCP off by default.

Not sure if it was related but I'd recommend restarting your DHCP service when you've done this too... Spent 3 hours trying to figure out why DHCP wasn't working properly this morning but can't be sure it was related.

Non-AP's plugged into the port?
    For some reason the switch won't complain if you plug a non-AP connected patch into it. Not necessarily a bad thing but you will probably want to know if you've gotten the wrong one.. Check for ports that don't get the status light lit up after 2 or 3 minutes

Oh and watch out for that... the AP's take a couple of minutes to "check in" so a certain amount of sitting around is required.

Firmware
    I haven't a frigging clue what the dumb at Netgear were thinking but I'm guessing because AP related stuff used the term firmware they felt they couldn't use it again for controller related [whisper]firmware[/whisper]. The way to upload is:
    Maintenance > (Controller) Image Management

You then upload the (no suffix) "image file".

One nice touch is that you seem to have two different boot partitions in the flash so you can upload one new "image", try it and if it fubars, you can go into the serial interface and reset it.

Hyper "what now?" terminal?
    You're going to want to install this somewhere that has a serial port and be ready to use it... It's absolutely vital for when you f*** up (like I did) and set the controller to use an IP that's already in use . Instructions are in the KB on the site though so you just follow those and you are away.

... and so concludes my first day using this thing... I've not gone into the majority of tools and really just shoved some AP's in where the old ones were before. Doubtless I'll have other nuggets to share but those are the initial ones. In fairness I'm not sure that it's as hard as some have made out in reviews but I've a pretty new "image" firmware so I'm guessing early bugs have been ironed out...

Gotta love POE and the netgear APs though... Lovely stuff

Thank Post
    hi

can anyone tell me if this device can manage access points that are not plugged directly into it, the access points are on the network but would not be directly plugged into it.

The netgear site suggests that this can be done via ip tunnels but I need to make sure

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    hi

can anyone tell me if this device can manage access points that are not plugged directly into it, the access points are on the network but would not be directly plugged into it.

The netgear site suggests that this can be done via ip tunnels but I need to make sure

Thanks
    yes it can support this.

This is ideal for use with other POE switches in another building, allowing them still to have no mains, but controlled by the controllers!!!

The Ip tunnels (or VLANS) are setup automatically, but you can configure further if required!

Cheers

Ben

Thank Post
    Right... bit more of an update as today has been "WLAN day"..

Been having fun trying to work out why the Access Points were randomly dropping my connection and two in particular kept going offline. It was only when I booted up my laptop and Wi-Spy that the obvious hit me like a 2 by 4.. They were all on channel 1.

Turns out my wizard experience was a bit of a sham and as folks on various reviews have pointed out, you really need to do some reading or have a professional to hand when configuring this thing.

So, here be part #2 of my review.

Basic Configuration
    Chocolate fireguard springs to mind... Just don't bother... You need the Advanced tab to get this thing work.

Confusing Acronyms
    Throughout the manual you will find references to the IRM Intelli Radiofreq' Management... It's actually ARM on the configuration pages (helpful? Not really! )

Which Channels
    For whatever reason the switch thinks you're in the USA and defaults all its channel policies to be US based. If you're intending to use IRM .. Oops I mean ARM, you'll want to edit the Advanced > RF Polioies > Policies page pronto.... Oh and ignore the less than helpfully confusing title when you've actually gone to that link.. "Misconfigured AP"

Setting ARM
    I didn't bother with this in the end but for whatever reason the AP at Location 1.1.1 kept trying to use it so I decided to set it anyway..

Make sure you edit your policies (see above) and then for your WLAN > Radio just tick ARM Scanning, and keep your defaults for the fields: "ARM Scan Time (msecs)" & "ARM Scan Interval (secs)".

To be doubly sure you don't randomly disconnect users who are actually on a channel and their laptop doesn't like channel shifting, you should also tick the field "ARM Client Aware".

That's about it.

Setting It Manually
    As I said, ARM/IRM is not overly impressive so I opted to setup my AP's manually using the Configuration > Advanced > WLAN > Advanced tab

It's pretty simple stuff but for Location 1.1.1 it seems to be a little reluctant to follow the policy (could be something I did though)..

All of this aside, I have to say I'm now relatively happy with the setup... I did need to read a LOT of information, fathom out that the firmware developer and manual author aren't on the same planet, let alone wavelength and learn the odd quirk work-around but all in all it's a neat piece of kit.

If you're looking for something that will work pretty quickly out of the box though, forget it, unless, as has been mentioned before, you have a netgear pet professional on tap.

Thank Post
    I have 2 wfs709tp controllers and 30 Aps. They are all set on 1 VLan with 1ssid at the moment (all on channel 1 - is this a problem? Seems to work ok) I would like to set up captive portal linked to my AD users but can't get the logon page to come up. It will connect but only if I use the Internal Database. Any tips?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dtaylor View Post
    I have 2 wfs709tp controllers and 30 Aps. They are all set on 1 VLan with 1ssid at the moment (all on channel 1 - is this a problem? Seems to work ok)
    Yes, having them all on one channel is a problem. The channel is the radio frequency the AP is broadcasting on. Having them all on the same frequency means that one AP will be interfearing with adjacent APs. Yes, it will work, but you will be slowing it down.
    You should use 1, 6, and 11 as these channels do not overlap frequencies. If you have more than 3 APs within range of each other you could use 1, 5, 9 and 13 because these are almost non-overlapping.

There should be a setting in the wireless manager to let it sort this all out for you - this should also automatically 'turn down' other APs if they are causing interference.

Thank Post
    Thought I'd pass on this little resource I found today while reviewing the wlan at one school:

http://neclub.netgear.com.cn/nebs/Up...1028104049.ppt

Much more useful than the manual!

10. Thanks to contink from:

dtaylor (19th December 2008)

Thank Post
    I've had quite a while since I've needed to come back to the WLAN controller and our network but I've realised I can't remember how on earth I set things up and as it's currently not broke I don't want to "fix it" while trying to suss out a small change to allow guess access.

I suspect that I set everything up using this:
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networ...tml#post141909
    .. guide and that it didn't involve too much in terms of configuration of the controller.

That in turn makes me suspect that I haven't gained the max' benefit from the controller so I'd like a reality check from anyone who has the same controller, is using RADIUS and is happy for me to phone and bounce a few queries and ideas of them.

Ideally a best practice with this controller is what I'm after but basically any help so I can deal with the sinking feeling in my gut.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Hi,
    Probably a bit late now, but I've got one of these units which I selling (at a ridiculously low price) if you're interested. I've also got a few light access points.
    Thanks
    Dave

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by asmidir View Post
    Probably a bit late now, but I've got one of these units which I selling (at a ridiculously low price) if you're interested. I've also got a few light access points.Dave
    Heya,

I'd be interested in the AP's primarily so if you can PM me a price on a couple of units that'd be useful... Any idea of what you're after for the Controller would be useful too and I may be able to swing it for another school as well...

Thank Post
    Hi,

No problem, I'll check tonight / tommorrow morning and I'll post back what I've got.

Thanks

Thank Post
    @Asmidir. Can I ask you why you're selling it? I ask I I'm just thinking of buying one of them?

Thank Post
    Hey everyone I know I am also a little late to the game but was hoping I could pick a few brains. First of all there was a guy selling about a half a dozen of these units on e-bay brand new (not refurbs) for only $300 which is how I got mine.

I set up a small network for testing and have 2 vlans and 2 SSID's one private and one public. Correct me if I am wrong but you can't enable MAC Filtering on one SSID and not the other? It seems like an all or nothing deal, no matter what I try I can't get it set up that way.

What I wanted to do was set up the private SSID with MAC Filtering and using a WPA PSK and the other Public SSID using the captive portal and the internal database, this would be used only for contractors or people that just need to connect without access to the internal network.

While this seems like relatively simple setup I can't get it to work for the above mentioned reasons. I have the latest firmware installed...

Currently I only have 2 access points but have 2 more coming hopefully today. I am also having the issue with both access points being on the same channel. I have ARM Enabled and do not have client aware which apparently can prevent ARM from taking action. this was mentioned in a "Best Practices" FAQ I randomly found on the site.

Does anyone have a configuration with access monitors? I was planning on having one to start and take it from there. What are the benefits of having them.

I am setting this up in a house that is used for business it is 100' by 50' and 4 floors. The users need as much bandwidth as possible so it seems like 3 access points will do the job. I haven't had much luck with the planning tool telling me where to place them but also have gotten in to a lot of detail on the building other then the dimensions and number of floors.

Any more info you might have would be great.

Thanks in advance.

~ Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast