+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Set Default Gateway for all users in Technical; I've recently taken down our schools proxy server. We had 2 gateways. One gateway was going into our proxy server, ...
    Thank Post

Set Default Gateway for all users

I've recently taken down our schools proxy server. We had 2 gateways. One gateway was going into our proxy server, and out to the internet. The other gateway, was going into our firewall, and out to the internet. Strange setup, but that's how they had it. We have 2 IP's, one on the otherside of the firewall, and one on the otherside of our proxy server. The students went through the proxy, and the staff went through the main default gateway.

Here's the problem. I disabled the proxy service on the ISA 2000 server that always gave us troubles and never actually did a good job of blocking anything. I purchased a Barracuda Web Filter [the 310 model] and it's working flawlessly. The only issue is that the proxy server was now their friend, as students would try to access the internet through the proxy and have their sites they used to access back.

That's why I disabled the proxy service. So that gateway no longer goes anywhere. So the teachers are still being set at the main gateway through the ipconfig /setclassid * proxy command in their login batch file. However the student accounts dont have the permissions to write to the registry to make that entry. I'm not sure if this is something I need to set before hand on all the images under the network card and add it to the default gateways list, or if there's an easy fix like setting it at the domain level or having the dhcp server configure it automatically.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    You should be able to just do this from the DHCP mmc snap-in by setting the IP of the gateway in the '003 Router' setting of the Scope Options

Thank Post
    You should be able to make any changes you need through GPO. The way I have it set up here is I have a group "NoInternet" and when the pupils are banned I move them to that group and when they log on the get a dummy proxy setup which removes all access to the internet. I believe lots of schools do it this way. You should be able to set the internet details to however you want. Changing them for staff and pupils based on the groups the users are in.

If you use IE7 you will need to download the new adm template for it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread