+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, How do I remove a Domain trust that I can't contact? in Technical; New Post with New Information - Please Proceed to Post 6 Hey everyone. Whoa, new design for edugeek :P Didn't ...
    Thank Post

How do I remove a Domain trust that I can't contact?

New Post with New Information - Please Proceed to Post 6

Hey everyone. Whoa, new design for edugeek :P Didn't wanna go with phpBB 3 eh?

Anyways So at the school I'm working for we have one domain. However for some reason, when we add computers to that domain, they get in the domain list at login "Our Domain", local computer, "Domain of another school in district", "Domain of a second nother school in district".

You can't log in to the second 2 domains. I'm not sure why they're in the list or how they get to the list. Since I didn't originally configure the domain and neither did the guy before me, I have no idea how they got there lol. I looked all through active directory for any information, and looked through DNS and couldn't find any records to do with it. If anyone has any information about how I may be able to clear these random stale things I'm finding that would be great!

Thanks guys, hope the holidays went well for everyone and you all had a much deserved break!

Take care.
    Last edited by link470; 11th July 2008 at 03:37 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like there has been a trust with another domain or that your domain could possibly be a child to another.

Thank Post
    Yeh they're Trusted Domain.

Go to Administrative Tools > Active Directory Domains and Trusts

In here right click your domain and go to properties, in the Trusts tab you'll see a list of the domains.

Seems extremely odd that you'd want a trust between schools! That would mean an Enterprise Admin from another school could access your network I presume?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have it here....

Thank Post
    Ah yes. I did have a look in there however I had one problem. When I right clicked my subdomain [the domain I manage here at this school] in domains and trusts, I could only find the root domain, no other subdomains. The thing is none of these domains can be contacted anymore. I don't know why they were configured like this, but the other 2 I can't get properties for since they can't be contacted. Should I just remove the trust with the main root domain?

Edit: I can't even remove the root domain from trusts, it's greyed out.
    Last edited by link470; 11th July 2008 at 03:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Edit 2 [July 10, 2008]: Hey guys, still workin on this one if anyone's reading this topic. I found out the district had these 3 other domains in the login list before because they used to connect to them a few years ago when our schools servers had to go to be stored at another school while this school was getting maintenance. They had to move all their systems over to the other school and get it up and running there. But the old Network Admin never used DCPromo to clear the domains from the list before they moved back. He just moved the servers. So the names are still in the list, and none of the domains exist anymore. I tried going into Active Directory Domains and Trusts and removing it, but that didn't work since the domains can't be contacted. I also tried using NTDSUTIL, and that also failed, it gave me access denied when I tried to remove the server. The only solution I could think of for that, was to make sure I was an Enterprise Admin. However, there's no group called Enterprise Admins. So I couldn't add myself to it. I think this is because I'm a subdomain, school.district.ca. However that district.ca doesn't exist, that's just what the domain was called when the domain was created. So if we're school.district.ca, the other 3 that show up on login and that trusts are magically established with are school2.district.ca, districtoffice.district.ca, and district.ca. However, district.ca doesn't exist as a domain. I'm a subdomain of a domain that doesn't exist. I just want to clear the district.ca, school2.district.ca, and districtoffice.district.ca from the trusts list, thus deleting them from the login window, and leaving me with our domain of school.district.ca. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Last edited by link470; 11th July 2008 at 03:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Link470,
    I've noticed that this thread is pretty old but I also see that no one answered your question. I'm now having the same issue with a domain that was taken offline before the trust was deleted and I can't remove it without connecting to the domain trying to perform a metadata cleanup. Did you happen to find out the fix action? Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread