+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Censornet - System Requirments in Technical; Hi All, I know a number of you run Censornet. We are thinking of deploying it - but are concerned ...

Thank Post

Censornet - System Requirments

Hi All,
    I know a number of you run Censornet. We are thinking of deploying it - but are concerned about what sort of server we need to purchase to run it. We are looking to run the commercial version using a single NIC just for proxy and filtering. We will be authentication against AD.

We have approx 650 pc's - and would estimate that on a very busy day we might get 400 concurrent users on the net.

I have read the suggested specs on the Censornet website - but does anyone have any real-life expierience with these kind of numbers? What sort of spec of server are you using?

Thanks,
    Steve

Thank Post
    Hi Steve,

We run censornet V3 here on an old workstation, it has 512Mb Ram and 80Gb Hdd. It's a AMD 2Ghz athlon and it runs fine.

We have about 200 computers and can have around 125 users going through the server at any 1 time, so not quite as many users as you have using it.

It has 2 nics in, 1 to go to the internal network and 1 to go to the external network.

We also have it authenticating against AD and it comes up with a little logon box when a user opens internet explorer.

dezt.

Thank Post
    i used to use Censornet V3 and found it OK. There were a few issues with it though that i found made it a little unstable. I used the open source version. If i left it over the weekend i would most certainly have to restart it monday morning as it would not accept connections.

I did all the updates but still happened. it may just be me though.

I have since had a trial version of school guardian which in my opinion surpasses censornet and has a lot more configuration options. I use ntlm authentication at the moment so users don't need to authenticate after logon but they are still logged and filtered.

I can't remember if this was in the censornet version i used. It also integrates quite nicely with AD.

After trying both of them i think we will go with the school guardian. support is really good, actually its great. they have helped me out a lot and i haven't even purchased it yet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread