+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Ghost and Network Cards - Complete Novice in Technical; I need to take an image from one of our older PCs. These are Windows 2000. I haven't taken an ...
    Thank Post

Question Ghost and Network Cards - Complete Novice

I need to take an image from one of our older PCs. These are Windows 2000. I haven't taken an image of these since our domain changed when we acquired a new Suite of XPs and a Server 2003 network upgrade.

We image the XPs across the network, booting from LAN and using Learning Network Manager to manage the images. I can boot from LAN from the older computers, but, after running Sysprep (the version that came with Win2000), when I try to take an image I get a message saying there is no information about the network card and the imaging aborts before even getting underway.

We have Ghost32 installed on the server.

Previously, these machines were on a Viglen network. We imaged these by multicast with ghost on the server and a floppy disk in the client. We have two sets of floppy disks for the older machines, as there are two different builds with two different network cards.

I guess I am missing the Ghost software from the Win2000 machines. I also imagine we are only licensed for the number of floppy disks we have for them.

Is there a combination of booting from LAN and floppy disk in drive that i can use?? What are my options here?? Could I still use the Multicast method instead?? (Basic English please and as much detail as possible).

Thank Post
    when you do a sysprep, you need to tell the image that there are different drivers for the NIC. the location needs to be specified in the sysimage.

This is the technet guide to using sysprep.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post
    when you do a sysprep, you need to tell the image that there are different drivers for the NIC. the location needs to be specified in the sysimage.

This is the technet guide to using sysprep.
    Thanks, but I need more information. The technet article is for XP and I am using 2000, which I believe uses a different version of Sysprep. There is no mini-setup check box and no reseal. And I don't understand how you can tell the image about the drivers when you run sysprep, even reading the article. Sorry to be so dense but Ghost and imaging has always been set up for me by the ICT provider before, and now I am without that help at all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post
    Can someone please tell me how to do this with Windows 2000 sysprep? I have found the kb article about Win2000 sysprep:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298491

but I still can't work out where or how I tell sysprep about the type of network card the machine has, and where the drivers are. Sorry.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    The ghost software on your server - what version is it ?
    Is there a list of PCs on your network in it ? [ With their MAC addresses etc ]

If not you need to install the ghost client on the PC - then the ghost console should see it - [ after a re-boot ] - the client software is normally held on the server:

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\ClientInstall

Once installed you need to set the relevant DOS drivers on the PC in the ghost console - you can then set a task to collect the image - depending on what ver of ghost you are using, the sysprep process can be part of the image task..... [ you can even create your own .inf file with the relevant mini setup settings in..... ]

Thank Post
    I have found a program called ghost32.exe on the server. Once opened, it show Ghost32 8.2, which I assume is the version number. But it is just on its own, no other programs with it. We are using Learning Network Manager, and it seems to be associated with that. I have just trawled the LNM documentation which deals with sysprep and imaging. The process uses RIS, and I can boot remotely from the Windows 2000 machines. The documentation I have seen so far doesn't mention anything about network card info, but does take you through the process of creating the sysprep.inf file using setupmgr or something like.

Can't find anything about installing Ghost on the clients, and can't actually find Ghost on the XP clients which work fine with imaging.

I remember the ICT provider, when still around, managed to take an image using RIS and LNM/ghost, from one of the 2000 machines, just as a test. But it hadn't been sysprepped so I can't use the image. The problem I had with the error message about network card information only came after I had sysprepped a Win2000 machine.

Thank Post
    Folks, I am really stuck with this one. Brief summary of situation so far:

Windows 2k3 Server
    Windows 2000 client

1. Can boot the client from LAN (F12 key)
    2. Can take an image involving LAN/LNM/Ghost when machine isn't sysprepped first
    3. When I sysprep the machine, after booting from LAN, I then request to take an image and get told that the process is terminated because there is no information about the network card
    4. Having done a Windows Explorer search, I can only find a program called Ghost32.exe in the RemInst folder on the server and have no idea if or how I need to install this to the client
    5. The XP clients we have will create and restore images involving LAN boot/LNM/Ghost quite happily with Sysprep, and don't appear to have any version of ghost installed locally on them.

Anybody??

Thank Post
    Ok, I have now worked around this problem. I did find what looked like a solution on the Microsoft support website, but it involved installing a hotfix on the server that came with a lot of warnings about being untested so I decided against this. However, I recently demoted the old server so that I could use it as a general extra storage space. This was the server that used to act as dc for the machine I am trying to re-image. It still has Ghost on it, so I tried the old multicast method and loaded the image onto the old server. It worked fine, and I was able to then use the image to repair a couple of the same type of machines which have been out of action for ages.

Of course, if the old server dies, this won't be a solution anymore. But in the meantime it will do.

Thank Post
    Have just found this help on the Intel website.

Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter - Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter fails to install using Microsoft* RIS

It relates to a similar problem, and covers the particular network card we have in these machines. I'm going to try and update the boot agent and drivers for the network card, and see if I can then use RIS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread