+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Meru VS Ruckus in Technical; Originally Posted by TheRobins I did research into areohive. At the end of my looking into them as a product, ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRobins View Post
    I did research into areohive. At the end of my looking into them as a product, there seemed to be some issues with broadcom chipsets (cannot remeber which ones). The products are very well priced for the hardware themselfs, and performance wise would compare to the big market players. What ruled them out for me was their software, seemed very much like meraki and designed for business and conference centres as in configuration.

I still haven't chosen between Ruckus and Meru, all the boxes for Ruckus are ticked but also hearing locally of great Meru stories, it makes it very tough. Im not going to go AC with Ruckus which saves quite a bit, but have left scope in the future to purchase AC points if new devices make the need nessacary, and the ruckus by back scheme looks as if it could help out here.

I did miss 1 answer from ruckus, and thats where you can do bandwidth throttling via their AP's, I want to throttle our BYOD for Staff and Guests, so as to make sure they dont take our bandwidth. If it didnt I could always do this via smoothwall after our install over the summer of course.
    Yes you can do rate limiting on an SSID basis.

The 11ac products from Ruckus have just come down in price making them very well priced.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here's my final thoughts on the Meru vs Ruckus debate.

With Meru, I have heard absolute horror stories with woeful performance even with lots of APs on the one hand and some very satisfied customers with great results on the other hand. I conclude from this that design and configuration of a Meru system is very important for its success, and there may be some correlation in the types (wifi chips) and density of devices in the success or failure with Meru.

With Ruckus, I cannot remember hearing someone express dissatisfaction with any implementation. From my own experience, I think you can pretty much throw the APs anywhere reasonable, tag the switch ports properly, turn the ZD on and it just goes (oversimplified maybe, but it's hard to break a Ruckus system). Point being, that Ruckus is very forgiving of misconfigurations and is pretty much trouble free (but very capable and advanced as well).

So, for me Ruckus is a dead simple, high performance, reliable WiFi system. It might be possible to get better performance out of a perfectly configured Meru system, but it will likely always be more fragile and difficult to setup and maintain.
    Last edited by seawolf; 26th June 2014 at 01:27 PM.

3. Thanks to seawolf from:

TheRobins (26th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Here's my final thoughts on the Meru vs Ruckus debate.

With Meru, I have heard absolute horror stories with woeful performance even with lots of APs on the one hand and some very satisfied customers with great results on the other hand. I conclude from this that design and configuration of a Meru system is very important for its success, and there may be some correlation in the types (wifi chips) and density of devices in the success or failure with Meru.

With Ruckus, I cannot remember hearing someone express dissatisfaction with any implementation. From my own experience, I think you can pretty much throw the APs anywhere reasonable, tag the switch ports properly, turn the ZD on and it just goes (oversimplified maybe, but it's hard to break a Ruckus system). Point being, that Ruckus is very forgiving of misconfigurations and is pretty much trouble free (but very capable and advanced as well).

So, for me Ruckus is a dead simple, high performance, reliable WiFi system. It might be possible to get better performance out of a perfectly configured Meru system, but it will likely always be more fragile and difficult to setup and maintain.
    Couldnt have finished that any better myself.

I agree that if setup correctly and managed a Meru system would probably out perform a Ruckus solution, Personally for me, Im on my own, dont have much time and just need it to work, whilst being in budget, Hello Ruckus

Thank Post
    Try Extricom - the inventor of 'Channel Blanket' technology. Nothing tops their performance and stability. Have installed all from their 8port system up to 32 AP's system with aprx. 600-700 users connected. Just worked and performed like a charm...
    BTW - Meru is a 'software based' vendor of 'Channel Blanket' tech. - that is trying to deliver what Extricom does on HARDWARE basis. Haven't hear anything bad about Meru though - other than some certain performance limitations... Extricom would be a bit more expensive in start-investments I believe....
    Last edited by holmeren; 2nd July 2014 at 03:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Single channel vs Microcell...... Age old debate really. Meru have been doing single channel for some time now and are the only ones really in the market that do it well...... However you must question why no other vendor has decided to venture into this market. Lets take an example of formula 1. If one of the car manufactures creates a distinct benefit over the completion they will all monitor the advantage, if this gives them better performance they will all copy it, if not they wont. Itís a bit like Meru and everyone else. All vendors copied the Meru airtime fairness system (created there own scheduling system) because it gave benefit. Nobody has copied the idea of single channel... Why? Co-channel interference.......The fact is that single-channel WLANs are indeed affected by co-channel interference in the same manner as the Microcell WLANs, but to a much more significant degree. Co-channel interference becomes one of the most significant challenges to performance in the single-channel architecture.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wifispray View Post
    Co-channel interference becomes one of the most significant challenges to performance in the single-channel architecture.
    Some bold statements in there. Here are some facts. Meru Networks outperforms Cisco and Aruba in 802.11ac testing: Tolly Group - ARN

Thank Post
    Youre quite right. I understand RF to a high level being a licenced radio amatuer so can understand that interference will always be there.

I have gone for a Meru solution. This was after much deliberation and investigation. Mainly based on the actuall company who are supplying and fitting it and the schools that I visited that were using it.

Lets see if in 2 months time I start moaning about my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by wifispray View Post
    Single channel vs Microcell...... Age old debate really. Meru have been doing single channel for some time now and are the only ones really in the market that do it well...... However you must question why no other vendor has decided to venture into this market. Lets take an example of formula 1. If one of the car manufactures creates a distinct benefit over the completion they will all monitor the advantage, if this gives them better performance they will all copy it, if not they wont. It’s a bit like Meru and everyone else. All vendors copied the Meru airtime fairness system (created there own scheduling system) because it gave benefit. Nobody has copied the idea of single channel... Why? Co-channel interference.......The fact is that single-channel WLANs are indeed affected by co-channel interference in the same manner as the Microcell WLANs, but to a much more significant degree. Co-channel interference becomes one of the most significant challenges to performance in the single-channel architecture.

Thank Post
    Meru Networks outperforms Cisco and Aruba in 802.11ac testing: Tolly Group - ARN - Facts ....... An independent report commissioned by Meru.

There are no facts here its ALL marketing. All schools need to test the solutions offered by the vendors and make up there own minds what works best for them..... Meru shouldnt be a defacto for school... Neither should Ruckus...

Thank Post
    Youre quite right. I understand RF to a high level being a licenced radio amatuer so can understand that interference will always be there.

I have gone for a Meru solution. This was after much deliberation and investigation. Mainly based on the actuall company who are supplying and fitting it and the schools that I visited that were using it.

Lets see if in 2 months time I start moaning about my decision.
    I have seen Meru work well in schools...... Dont get me wrong the technology works, they wouldnt be selling so much otherwise in schools.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by njc235 View Post
    Source: Tolly Group report commissioned by Meru Networks.

Wouldnt trust it. You would be amazed if this report would have shown Cisco to whoop the Meru do you think this report would have been public, not a chance. Have a look for all of the Cicso based reports that say its the best in the world. Why didnt they check it against Ruckus or other competitors in the market, maybe they did but just ommitted it from the report. Im saying this even though I have gone for Meru.

There are only a few true independant sources, and then you cannot be sure these have been influenced. Nothing better than seeing it in action.

Thank Post
    Source: Tolly Group report commissioned by Meru Networks.

Wouldnt trust it. You would be amazed if this report would have shown Cisco to whoop the Meru do you think this report would have been public, not a chance. Have a look for all of the Cicso based reports that say its the best in the world. Why didnt they check it against Ruckus or other competitors in the market, maybe they did but just ommitted it from the report. Im saying this even though I have gone for Meru.

There are only a few true independant sources, and then you cannot be sure these have been influenced. Nothing better than seeing it in action.
    I am an independant..... I like to give people facts about the technologies that are not influenced by over marketing. The truth is all vendors have a place in the market and offer something. Selecting the vendor should be based on many things but focused on the customer requirements....... Never just a one product for every situation.

Thank Post
    Do not trust marketing.....one of these guys is lying as the maths does not add up!

http://imgur.com/fHGVWDM
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @WifiWizard they'll only test in conditions specific to show that theirs is faster, as such you can skew the results anyway you want. I could make my own wifi access point, and skew results so it is 100% faster than all the others.

Thank Post
    Absolutely correct. What is required is to ignore marketing, get eval equipment and thoroughly test vendors to your own specific requirements.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did just that a few years ago (well 5 years now). Bought in HP, Meru, Xirrus, Ruckus, Cisco etc. Did reasonably thorough tests on the device, same tests on each one. Ruckus came out top, Meru second, Cisco 3rd, notable performance from Xirrux. Shortcomings from Aruba, HP, Belkin and DLink.

I had contact from Meru, Xirrus, Cisco and Aruba, all of whom improved their technology.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast