+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Sophos and the Admin Password in Technical; Because the ICT Co-ordinator decided to tell their pupils our admin password, we have had to change it. Now Sophos ...
    Thank Post

Sophos and the Admin Password

Because the ICT Co-ordinator decided to tell their pupils our admin password, we have had to change it. Now Sophos will not work - is there anyway to change the password that Sophos uses? At the moment it looks like we have to uninstall sophos and re-install it on all the computers because no deployment software works in this school!!!

Thank Post

Re: Sophos and the Admin Password

Just use the console to redeploy to all the computers over the top of the current installaion using the new password.
    Also your ICT co-ordinator should be reminded of the various issues of them having admin access eg data protection etc etc.

Thank Post

Do you run the Sophos Mangement Console? Edit the updating policy there.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by clareq
    You can't just edit the updating policy - this is Sophos we're talking about here things are not that simple :!: You would have to do what ChrisH says (and in future, give your sophos service a different password )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would create a special Sophos account so it will stop these things appening. Also i have a script that will totally strip Sophos of a computer if you run into problems. Let me know if you would like it.

Z

Thank Post

Second the above, you should really have seperate service accounts, with complex passwords for added security. These accounts should only have the permissions necessary, very few of them should need full domain admin rights, and they should never be given out or used for any other purpose other than installing services like these.

We have a general service account which things like scheduled tasks run under, and key services like sophos have their own dedicated account on our network.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts

@button_ripple - Sophos uses a default service account called "sweepupd". Search for this in Active Directory, change the password, then change the password(s) in Sophos EM.

You do not need to uninstall and re-install Sophos. You just need to force an update so your workstations receive up-to-date account information.

I have to say that for any teacher (especially the co-ordinator) to disclose the admin password to their pupils really needs a good slap.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyKGB
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq
    You can't just edit the updating policy - this is Sophos we're talking about here things are not that simple :!: You would have to do what ChrisH says (and in future, give your sophos service a different password )
    Well, we change all admin passwords regularly, and we always roll out the password change that way.

Thank Post
    how come the ICT co-ordinator had access to the admin account and what made him give out the password to the children more so?
    Last edited by john; 23rd March 2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: please use the correct spelling of come

Thank Post
    I'm getting more and more worried about ICT co-ordinators.
    Last edited by AyatollahPies; 24th March 2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Spellink

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Uninstall and reinstall? Rubbish. Use the console like everyone says! And why is every SAV problem on here followed a few posted down with "I have a removal script". It's not broke, just not configured.

All you need to do is change the updating policy in the Enterprise Console and the client will pick it up.

*IF* you're really stuck the credentials are stored locally in...

%programfiles%\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Config\iconn.cfg

...and YOU could script something to swap out the current file for a new one on boot/logon/shutdown etc.

If you need to obfuscate the password then look at: Enterprise Console: obfuscating the username and password

FYI: sweepupd is not an automatically created account. It's just that it's been on peoples systems since SAV4 that everyone thinks we put it there . However a "quick install" of EM Library creates a "SophosEndpoint" account. Otherwise it's up to you what account you use for updating. We don't recommend using anything as powerful as an admin unless troubleshooting an updating problem etc.

Thank Post
    I use a standard domain account that's been given local admin rights via restricted groups so it can do the remote installs via the "Protect Computers" wizard and also use it for the updates. We've got that sweepupd account as well, always wondered if it was some legacy account from a bygone age

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophos-Support-5 View Post
    Uninstall and reinstall? Rubbish. Use the console like everyone says! And why is every SAV problem on here followed a few posted down with "I have a removal script". It's not broke, just not configured.

All you need to do is change the updating policy in the Enterprise Console and the client will pick it up.

*IF* you're really stuck the credentials are stored locally in...

%programfiles%\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Config\iconn.cfg

...and YOU could script something to swap out the current file for a new one on boot/logon/shutdown etc.

If you need to obfuscate the password then look at: Enterprise Console: obfuscating the username and password

FYI: sweepupd is not an automatically created account. It's just that it's been on peoples systems since SAV4 that everyone thinks we put it there . However a "quick install" of EM Library creates a "SophosEndpoint" account. Otherwise it's up to you what account you use for updating. We don't recommend using anything as powerful as an admin unless troubleshooting an updating problem etc.
    crikey... I've just found myself agreeing with someone from Sophos... whatever next I wonder?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I use a standard domain account that's been given local admin rights via restricted groups so it can do the remote installs via the "Protect Computers" wizard and also use it for the updates. We've got that sweepupd account as well, always wondered if it was some legacy account from a bygone age
    I've decided to add staff laptops to sophos console, currently they have standalone sophos installed which will update in school and at home but I can't keep an eye on virus alerts etc, so thought I would add them. But I don't want to use the domain admin username and password when I protect the laptops, can anyone give me dummy's guide to setting up another user to have enough rights to use in sophos, as in the explanation above - please?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You might actually learn something thats what was next

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast