+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Wireless Networks Thread, Sophos and the Admin Password in Technical; Because the ICT Co-ordinator decided to tell their pupils our admin password, we have had to change it. Now Sophos ...
  1. #1
    button_ripple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Luton
    Posts
    346
    Thank Post
    93
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Sophos and the Admin Password

    Because the ICT Co-ordinator decided to tell their pupils our admin password, we have had to change it. Now Sophos will not work - is there anyway to change the password that Sophos uses? At the moment it looks like we have to uninstall sophos and re-install it on all the computers because no deployment software works in this school!!!

  2. #2
    ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Lancs
    Posts
    5,011
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 282 Times in 260 Posts
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: Sophos and the Admin Password

    Just use the console to redeploy to all the computers over the top of the current installaion using the new password.
    Also your ICT co-ordinator should be reminded of the various issues of them having admin access eg data protection etc etc.

  3. #3
    clareq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    732
    Thank Post
    53
    Thanked 189 Times in 125 Posts
    Rep Power
    101

    Re: Sophos and the Admin Password

    Do you run the Sophos Mangement Console? Edit the updating policy there.

  4. #4
    Oops_my_bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Man chest hair
    Posts
    1,738
    Thank Post
    438
    Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Sophos and the Admin Password

    Quote Originally Posted by clareq
    Do you run the Sophos Mangement Console? Edit the updating policy there.
    You can't just edit the updating policy - this is Sophos we're talking about here things are not that simple :!: You would have to do what ChrisH says (and in future, give your sophos service a different password )

  5. #5

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,039
    Thank Post
    888
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    453

    Re: Sophos and the Admin Password

    I would create a special Sophos account so it will stop these things appening. Also i have a script that will totally strip Sophos of a computer if you run into problems. Let me know if you would like it.

    Z

  6. #6

    maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,067
    Thank Post
    209
    Thanked 430 Times in 310 Posts
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Sophos and the Admin Password

    Second the above, you should really have seperate service accounts, with complex passwords for added security. These accounts should only have the permissions necessary, very few of them should need full domain admin rights, and they should never be given out or used for any other purpose other than installing services like these.

    We have a general service account which things like scheduled tasks run under, and key services like sophos have their own dedicated account on our network.

    Mike.

  7. #7

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340

    Re: Sophos and the Admin Password

    @button_ripple - Sophos uses a default service account called "sweepupd". Search for this in Active Directory, change the password, then change the password(s) in Sophos EM.

    You do not need to uninstall and re-install Sophos. You just need to force an update so your workstations receive up-to-date account information.

    I have to say that for any teacher (especially the co-ordinator) to disclose the admin password to their pupils really needs a good slap.

  8. #8
    clareq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    732
    Thank Post
    53
    Thanked 189 Times in 125 Posts
    Rep Power
    101

    Re: Sophos and the Admin Password

    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyKGB
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq
    Do you run the Sophos Mangement Console? Edit the updating policy there.
    You can't just edit the updating policy - this is Sophos we're talking about here things are not that simple :!: You would have to do what ChrisH says (and in future, give your sophos service a different password )
    Well, we change all admin passwords regularly, and we always roll out the password change that way.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    389
    Thank Post
    45
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    how come the ICT co-ordinator had access to the admin account and what made him give out the password to the children more so?
    Last edited by john; 23rd March 2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: please use the correct spelling of come

  10. #10
    AyatollahPies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    900
    Thank Post
    48
    Thanked 105 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    42
    I'm getting more and more worried about ICT co-ordinators.
    Last edited by AyatollahPies; 24th March 2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Spellink

  11. #11
    Sophos-Support-5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Abingdon, UK
    Posts
    48
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    You can't just edit the updating policy - this is Sophos we're talking about here things are not that simple :!: You would have to do what ChrisH says (and in future, give your sophos service a different password )
    Uninstall and reinstall? Rubbish. Use the console like everyone says! And why is every SAV problem on here followed a few posted down with "I have a removal script". It's not broke, just not configured.

    All you need to do is change the updating policy in the Enterprise Console and the client will pick it up.

    *IF* you're really stuck the credentials are stored locally in...

    %programfiles%\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Config\iconn.cfg

    ...and YOU could script something to swap out the current file for a new one on boot/logon/shutdown etc.

    If you need to obfuscate the password then look at: Enterprise Console: obfuscating the username and password

    FYI: sweepupd is not an automatically created account. It's just that it's been on peoples systems since SAV4 that everyone thinks we put it there . However a "quick install" of EM Library creates a "SophosEndpoint" account. Otherwise it's up to you what account you use for updating. We don't recommend using anything as powerful as an admin unless troubleshooting an updating problem etc.

  12. #12
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    166
    Thanked 220 Times in 203 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    I use a standard domain account that's been given local admin rights via restricted groups so it can do the remote installs via the "Protect Computers" wizard and also use it for the updates. We've got that sweepupd account as well, always wondered if it was some legacy account from a bygone age

  13. #13
    KarlGoddard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bolton, Lancashire
    Posts
    272
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophos-Support-5 View Post
    Uninstall and reinstall? Rubbish. Use the console like everyone says! And why is every SAV problem on here followed a few posted down with "I have a removal script". It's not broke, just not configured.

    All you need to do is change the updating policy in the Enterprise Console and the client will pick it up.

    *IF* you're really stuck the credentials are stored locally in...

    %programfiles%\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Config\iconn.cfg

    ...and YOU could script something to swap out the current file for a new one on boot/logon/shutdown etc.

    If you need to obfuscate the password then look at: Enterprise Console: obfuscating the username and password

    FYI: sweepupd is not an automatically created account. It's just that it's been on peoples systems since SAV4 that everyone thinks we put it there . However a "quick install" of EM Library creates a "SophosEndpoint" account. Otherwise it's up to you what account you use for updating. We don't recommend using anything as powerful as an admin unless troubleshooting an updating problem etc.
    crikey... I've just found myself agreeing with someone from Sophos... whatever next I wonder?

  14. #14
    chrbb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,508
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I use a standard domain account that's been given local admin rights via restricted groups so it can do the remote installs via the "Protect Computers" wizard and also use it for the updates. We've got that sweepupd account as well, always wondered if it was some legacy account from a bygone age
    I've decided to add staff laptops to sophos console, currently they have standalone sophos installed which will update in school and at home but I can't keep an eye on virus alerts etc, so thought I would add them. But I don't want to use the domain admin username and password when I protect the laptops, can anyone give me dummy's guide to setting up another user to have enough rights to use in sophos, as in the explanation above - please?

  15. #15
    lukang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    nonya
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    11
    You might actually learn something thats what was next

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Local admin password reset?
    By sidewinder in forum Windows
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 15th October 2009, 07:26 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th December 2007, 07:12 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23rd October 2007, 08:32 AM
  4. HELP! Recovering Windows 2003 Admin password
    By crc-ict in forum Windows
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th September 2006, 06:40 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19th July 2006, 01:48 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •