+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Has anyone tested 802.11ac wireless yet? in Technical; I've just been testing out our new 802.11ac transmitters and wondering if anyone else has upgraded yet? We are using ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Has anyone tested 802.11ac wireless yet?

I've just been testing out our new 802.11ac transmitters and wondering if anyone else has upgraded yet?

We are using Aruba 225 transmitters here, with netgear GS510TP POE switches and it seems to work well.

I've managed to connect at 1GB/s over wireless on my macbook air. Really pleased at those speeds as the quickest we could get before was 144mbps. Has anyone noticed a difference in real world usage?

Most of our client equipment isn't capable of AC yet so wondering what to invest in in terms of laptops/tablets now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have been holding off for AC gear, seems silly buying N when its replacement is defined and out or close. Should be decent and remember that ac waps will help over 2x2 n waps even with old tech along with better backhaul to the network. Remember if you really need the extra bandwidth on real laptops you can swap out the Nic for a mini pcie one.

Thank Post
    I don't know whether your referring to testing it in general (Home Use) or do you mean just School use. I don't use it in School only use 5Ghz 802.11n setup as we won't be buying anything that's worth the whole Wi-Fi infrastructure change for a while. Though I do use AC at home as all of our devices apart from 1 is compatible with AC and it does work very well and very quickly at some points it would exceed Ethernet speeds.

4. Thanks to abillybob from:

zag (15th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    As above, I've started to deploy wireless N using 5GHz only. I can't see why anyone needs more than 300Mbps just yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I doubt it would manage better than gb ethernet, I think the max theoretical is something like 1.3gbit bit that is shared between wap and client and all other clients as well as being half duplex. It may on a tiny few occasions match 1gbit ethernet if the laptop is sitting on a wap in a faraday cage doing a udp download but cable is just better if you want speed and reliability.

Ac is still a huge improvement as it gives you about a gigabit to share between everyone on that wap but not as good as cable for bandwidth and reliability. Something our MoE and their dropkick tech 'experts' don't seem to get. @dhare46

I hope that at some point people will make sure that they remember that almost all tech is great in the right situation but it all has its limitations that are never listed in the advertising brochure.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    As above, I've started to deploy wireless N using 5GHz only. I can't see why anyone needs more than 300Mbps just yet.
    Yeh that's exactly my point, I've got a 1gb/s connection here but its on a macbook so its hard to test things like logon speed yet.

I'll have to try and get a windows laptop and see the difference.

I'm more interested in how it will work with 30+ laptops connecting all at once. Hopefully it will fix some problems with have with capacity. We're upgrading from 802.11g transmitters.

Things like battery life on the clients are also a consideration
    Last edited by zag; 15th May 2014 at 01:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I doubt it would manage better than gb ethernet, I think the max theoretical is something like 1.3gbit bit that is shared between wap and client and all other clients as well as being half duplex. It may on a tiny few occasions match 1gbit ethernet if the laptop is sitting on a wap in a faraday cage doing a udp download but cable is just better if you want speed and reliability.
    Well it was downloading from my server quicker with AC wireless than it was when it was connected via Ethernet.... You must be right although for some reason it WAS quicker.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Yeh that's exactly my point, I've got a 1gb/s connection here but its on a macbook so its hard to test things like logon speed yet.

I'll have to try and get a windows laptop and see the difference.

I'm more interested in how it will work with 30+ laptops connecting all at once. Hopefully it will fix some problems with have with capacity. We're upgrading from 802.11g transmitters.

Things like battery life on the clients are also a consideration
    AC will of course be better than N, but you need to weigh up cost vs. performance. I suspect most of your clients probably can support N, so running G/N in 2.4GHz would be a good start, slowly moving up to N on 5GHz. I think it'll be sometime before AC becomes affordable and as standard on devices.

Even the almighty iPad only supports dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz up to N and not AC. No doubt Apple will do a hardware refresh at some point.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    AC will of course be better than N, but you need to weigh up cost vs. performance. I suspect most of your clients probably can support N, so running G/N in 2.4GHz would be a good start, slowly moving up to N on 5GHz. I think it'll be sometime before AC becomes affordable and as standard on devices.

Even the almighty iPad only supports dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz up to N and not AC. No doubt Apple will do a hardware refresh at some point.
    We jumped from 802.11g so the price difference between N and AC wasn't that different. We decided to go direct to AC.

I've already noticed all our ipads connecting over 5GHz, thats pretty cool. Shame they are currently limited to N speeds though.

Thank Post
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'd buy AC WAPs if I were upgrading today - I just wouldn't go to the effort replacing all adapters to AC compatible ones. The cost is going to be very high at the moment. The Intel Wireless-AC 7260 currently costs about £20 per machine!

Thank Post
    All our Staff laptops support AC , but we have Ruckus and i do not think they have Wireless AC Access Points yet.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'd buy AC WAPs if I were upgrading today - I just wouldn't go to the effort replacing all adapters to AC compatible ones. The cost is going to be very high at the moment. The Intel Wireless-AC 7260 currently costs about £20 per machine!
    That Half Mini PCI card looks like a nice upgrade choice!

I've bought one to test with, thanks. If it works I might buy a batch load.

Thank Post

I like the Intel stuff, it's always good quality and good driver support. Compatibility is excellent too.

Thank Post

thats what i shoved in my laptop to go from n to ac. (iirc cost me less than £20 nearer £15) i get 600ish mb to my bt router its definately faster than n for file transfer but not by as much as id like

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    thats what i shoved in my laptop to go from n to ac. (iirc cost me less than £20 nearer £15) i get 600ish mb to my bt router its definately faster than n for file transfer but not by as much as id like
    Yeh I'll have to test it at home as well. I've got the new BTHome Hub 5 which has been excellent so far.

What kind of file transfer speeds are you getting using AC?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast