+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Redirected desktop problem in Technical; OK, i've messed up, I know that much. Here goes, We have been looking into using spiceworks for the helpdesk ...
    Thank Post

Redirected desktop problem

OK, i've messed up, I know that much.

Here goes, We have been looking into using spiceworks for the helpdesk system for a while now and i've had to look into deploying a shortcut on users desktops to point straight to the spiceworks helpdesk.

Easy enough to do so far,

This is what I did, I created a standard desktop for all subject areas with their shortcut icons on and redirected the desktop to the specific destop folder and placed a shortcut to the Spiceworks helpdesk in the folder as well.

Everything worked fine and the helpdesk was about to go live, until a few teachers complained that their desktop had changed and they could't do their registers, they couldn't find the PARs icon, which had only moved a few rows accross.

After hearing this the SBM (my line manager) told me to remove the redirected desktops.

This is where I messed up, I removed the policy and deleted it (bad idea), when I set up the GPO I forgot to select the option to revert back to the old desktop when the policy is removed, now all the users are still being redirected to the desktop I setup for them.

I need to be able to remove the redirected desktop and have them point to their roaming profile for their old desktop instead.

Can anyone help, please, i'm at breaking point with this problem and I can't take the abusive comments from the teaching staff anymore, I can feel myself getting more wound up every day with this.

Again, please can someone help with this, i'm begging for a solution.

Thank Post

Re: Redirected desktop problem

Im not sure if this is possible but....
    Can you not just set up another re-dircted desktop but this time re-direct it to c:\documents and settings\%username%\desktop

????

Thank Post

Can you use delprof to clean all machines of profiles and force the desktop settings through GPO?

Thank Post

I've found a MS technet article that tells me which registry key is affected for the redirection. What I need to do is change a registry key for all my users. Is there any way of doing this without walking round to every PC and doing it for each user.

The key I need to change is in HKEY_CURRENT_USER which doesn't come across when I connect to a network registry in regedit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread