+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Meru wireless issues in Technical; Hi, I am trying to get my head around a few Wireless issues we have in school. We currently use ...
    jaf

Thank Post

Meru wireless issues

Hi, I am trying to get my head around a few Wireless issues we have in school. We currently use Meru wireless (MC3000) with 320 and 320i APs.

The first problem is we have some Samsung wireless enabled cameras in school which we wold like to connect to the wireless. Every time we try and connect it just fails to connect. I have tried inputting the IP config manually and it just says "connection failed". I can't seem to find settings for the proxy anyway so I think even if I could connect them to the wireless they would still not have internet access. Has anyone experienced these before?

We are also trying to get Airplay working through the wired LAN - this currently works if both devices are wireless and on the same SSID, but when the PCs are on the wired LAN this refuses to work. We are using software called Airserver to mirror the iPads onto a PC screen so this can be projected. Have spoken to the people who put in the wireless and they think it's to do with the VLANs, however there I cannot find any documentation about the VLANs in school and do not know enough about this to be able to get this working. As far as I can see there are 3 VLANs for the wireless and 1 for the wired LAN - does this sound about right?

The other thing is we have a wireless printer which is currently connected to the server through ethernet and then shared out to PCs. We can connect this to the wireless so pupils can print directly to an iPad through this, however the IP config has to be changed back to static afterwards when put back onto the LAN again. Is it possible to have this on the wireless so it appears on the desktop PCs as a normal printer, while allowing it to print from iPads using Airplay? I can't get my head around how to do this. When connected to the wireless the wired LAN and wireless LAN cannot see each other - as in if I connect a laptop to the wireless I would not be able to see any of the servers or shared areas. We are RM CC4.

Thanks very much for your help.

Thank Post
    It could be to do with the UDP broadcast settings and multicasting that is causing the mirroring problem. We had a similar issue when using some SMART software which changing these settings solved.

Thank Post
    It does sound like your VLANs are causing the problems, you will need a router configured to allow traffic to pass traffic between the various VLANs.

Also we have just had a new MERU Wireless network installed, and were having all sorts of connection problems, it turns out our old SSID was the problem, it was WPA, our suppliers configured a new WPA2 one and all our problems have gone away.

Hope this helps.

jaf

Thank Post
    Thanks for your help, it does appear to be the VLANs which are causing the issues.. we are working with our networking support to get the permissions reset on the VLANs! Thanks

Thank Post
    For airplay to work across multiple vlans you need to have Service Control enabled which is only available on system director 6.1...

Once firmware is updated the policy's are pretty simple to configure

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    SD 6 won't run on the mc 3000.

You can very cost effectively upgrade to a virtual controller that can run it though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread