+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Features of new switches in Technical; Whatever you mean by "making each server secure" it won't protect you against people plugging their own virus-infected hacking-tool-equipped laptops ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Features of new switches

Whatever you mean by "making each server secure" it won't protect you against people plugging their own virus-infected hacking-tool-equipped laptops to the network. If I had the money for it, full RADIUS would be a must for me.
    What? RADIUS doesn't prevent that. It prevents random kids from plugging their £299 PC World laptop in. It doesn't stop a member of staff plugging in their virus laden work laptop in after bringing it back from their holiday in the south of France (damn those open access hotel networks).

What you want to stop that, is NAC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Whatever you mean by "making each server secure" it won't protect you against people plugging their own virus-infected hacking-tool-equipped laptops to the network. If I had the money for it, full RADIUS would be a must for me.
    What? RADIUS doesn't prevent that. It prevents random kids from plugging their £299 PC World laptop in. It doesn't stop a member of staff plugging in their virus laden work laptop in after bringing it back from their holiday in the south of France (damn those open access hotel networks).

I think the key word in his post was own. Which is exactly what you just said

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff

Our teachers don't have laptops, so RADIUS would protect us just fine - any laptop is a rogue here!

Thank Post

Thanks for the advice about the cables, I'll probably get the contractor to put four strands of fibre in just to be on the safe side!

> Whatever you mean by "making each server secure" it won't protect
    > you against people plugging their own virus-infected
    > hacking-tool-equipped laptops to the network. If I had the money for it,
    > full RADIUS would be a must for me.

A quick Google/Wikipedia check tells me that RADIUS is a protocol to authenticate a user/device before it is allowed to use a network. Pupils and staff can bring their own machines in to connect to our network and can install whatever software they like on them, so I don't think such an authentication scheme is going to be much help.

Our switches will be arranged in a star topology, connected by some kind of backbone (probably a 2Gbps copper/fibre backbone created by duplexing together several ports on some of the switches). A pupil could connect to a network port and analise any traffic they can see going through that port. Surley this would just be traffic to their own machine and any broadcast packets that get sent around the whole network? If I understand correctly, the only way for them to see any other network traffic would be to break into one of the managed backbone switches or place a physical network tap on a cable somewhere.

Naturally, a pupil could try and break into a server by finding out a password or exploiting a security hole. I could get the anti-virus package to scan for things like keyboard loggers to stop password capture, and make sure that the servers are up-to-date with the latest patches. Do I understand this all correctly, or are there other cracking tools/methods I need to be aware of?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks
    I could get the anti-virus package to scan for things like keyboard loggers to stop password capture, and make sure that the servers are up-to-date with the latest patches.
    Suppose someone connects a laptop infected with a virus which goes looking for other hosts to infect. Would the management on your £150 switch act quick enough to shut that port out before it had dragged the network to a halt? (That question would also apply to faulty NICs, but that's nothing to do with RADIUS, so we'll leave that where it is for now.)

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks
    If I understand correctly, the only way for them to see any other network traffic would be to break into one of the managed backbone switches
    That would be correct.

To be honest, your network sounds reasonably secure; it would be more secure with RADIUS of course, but whether or not to get the more expensive switches with that comes down to whether you feel the risk is worth the financial saving.

Thank Post

> Suppose someone connects a laptop infected with a virus which goes
    > looking for other hosts to infect. Would the management on your £150
    > switch act quick enough to shut that port out before it had dragged the
    > network to a halt? (That question would also apply to faulty NICs, but
    > that's nothing to do with RADIUS, so we'll leave that where it is for now.)

Actually, I think so, yes. The Dell 2724s support broadcast storm control, which would seem to be the feature to have to stop this kind of thing. This, of course, assumes that all our machines are up-to-date with patches and so forth and it'll just be the ocasional pupil's machine that winds up getting infected with anything.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12