+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Who has Ruckus? in Technical; hi i have had it installed in a very old building, 79 AP's two controllers, got it from Net CTRL ...
    Thank Post
    hi
    i have had it installed in a very old building, 79 AP's two controllers, got it from Net CTRL and the support as always is second to none. would recommend these guys with no probs
    STariq

2. 2 Thanks to stariq:

Net-Ctrl (6th February 2014), stevenlong1985 (4th March 2014)

Thank Post
    I have ruckus 1 controller and approx 70 access points, support was really bad with the company we bought through however been speaking to net ctrl and they are to take over support for us.

Sent from my iPad using EduGeek

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    Have you considered Uquiqit Unifi - will beat ruckus on price hands down and the performance is on a par - in one school we are ripping ruckus out due to ongoing costs and putting unifi in.
    got that in one school as well and again no complaints but that school has less devices and is a small school

Thank Post
    Yeh we just ripped out our old ruckus network and replaced it with unifi
    I'm very impressed with it and it's giving us much better coverage and throughput than the network it's replacing

Thank Post
    The Ruckus WIFI was here when I arrived 3 years ago and the only downtime is when I moved it from one rack to another and 2 patches.

Cannot think of anything bad to say about it really, the management GUI is good, support when I needed it was good, lots of resources and info from other ruckus users is out there, WIFI is reliable and well used, only ever replaced one access point because there was a flood and water go into it - we have 50 access points.

support two primary schools that have it, only real issues there was they skimped on the initial number of access points to keep costs down and installed it o top of crap wired infrastructure, but that's due to be sorted over summer holidays and even so, this is not a reflection of the kit, yup happy camper here

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    If the buyer gets a deal, they normally come with 5 year support
    Yeah we got 5 years with ours. And I don't think ongoing support is particularly expensive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been running Ruckus for about 5 years now. Gone from a single network to running 3, with captive portal, 802.11x, and a hidden one I use.

Works flawlessly. Took me a couple of hours to transfer from the old "slap it in the rack and go" setup to the current one. Easy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've been using Ruckus for 3 1/2 years now. Works great and the new APs are especially good.

Thank Post
    How about the Meru system?
    Isn't a Single channel network the future with AC and limited available wider radio frequencies / channels?
    We too have been quoted by both. We had meru in and explain how ruckus are playing down AC due to the above.
    Has any one else heard anything like this?

Thank Post
    No, it's not the future...

More frequency is likely to come on tap in the next year or two worldwide following the FCC's lead:

Revolution Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi May Get A Capacity Boost, Thanks to the FCC

SCAs should, of course, be avoided where possible due to the inherent co-channel interference issues they cause.

For what it is worth, I am an Aerohive fan due to the controllerness nature of their product as it is instead done in protocol between the APs in a distributed fashion.
    Ruckus have the best antenna technology and are a great choice too.
    Meru are not a choice I would make precisely because of their SCA approach.
    Last edited by nicklowe; 6th February 2014 at 07:31 AM.

12. Thanks to nicklowe from:

nephilim (6th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklowe View Post
    No, it's not the future...

I hope you realise more frequency is likely to come on tap in the next year or two...

Revolution Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi May Get A Capacity Boost, Thanks to the FCC

SCAs should, of course, be avoided where possible due to the inherent co-channel interference issues they cause.
    what the fcc do dosent mean uk authorities will follow. until tv over broadband takes off i suspect a lot of this spectrum is used by freeview and i for one dont want to go down the satellite route freesat has channels missing that are on freeview, cant get cable and wont give sky money while the murdochs have a large stake

Thank Post
    Hi,

You're right, of course it does not mean that we will follow, but as that article mentions, this is being considered in concert with the other regulatory bodies, the UK included.
    Historically, we have always followed.

Nick
    Last edited by nicklowe; 6th February 2014 at 07:16 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    How about the Meru system?
    Isn't a Single channel network the future with AC and limited available wider radio frequencies / channels?
    We too have been quoted by both. We had meru in and explain how ruckus are playing down AC due to the above.
    Has any one else heard anything like this?
    Personally, I find Meru to be more about talk and marketing than great technology and solid WiFi performance.

Have a look at some of the very in-depth, real world conditions testing that Tom's Hardware did a few years ago with some of the most widely known and used WiFi system. Ruckus came out on top, and Meru wasn't tested.

Why Your Wi-Fi Sucks And How It Can Be Helped, Part 2 - Welcome To The Wi-Fi Cage Match

Meru have always claimed their single channel architecture was superior way before the advent of 802.11ac. However, the problem with the Meru architecture is that all the APs on a "blanket" share the same channel. So, coping with interference is extremely difficult on that "blanket". So, despite Meru's claims, they are going to run into the same problems with 802.11ac although they may achieve higher speeds using the architecture than other APs, they will do so with higher risk of interference as they have had in the past.

I have not tested the new Meru APs though, so I could be wrong. But, If I were to build a WiFi network all over again, I would either be looking at Ruckus or Ubiquiti.

16. Thanks to seawolf from:

webby74 (27th February 2014)

Thank Post
    When I asked the big vendors about Ubiquuti they all claimed their kit wasnt "real" enterprise class hardware?
    They also said the controllerless solution was far inferior in control and features than Meru/Ruckus/Meraki etc?

It did put me off, also no support? Anyone else had experience?

Thank Post
    Be careful to pin down what you mean.

If there is nothing performing the function of what a physical controller does, it is not enterprise class hardware as you lose features necessary for such environments.
    With a company like Aerohive or AirTight they do it in protocol between their APs in a distributed fashion, it's actually far superior than having a physical controller.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast