+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Best way of spreading wireless load without managed system? in Technical; I know the only real way of not having AP's overloaded is with a managed solution, and I think we ...

Thank Post

Best way of spreading wireless load without managed system?

I know the only real way of not having AP's overloaded is with a managed solution, and I think we are looking towards that next year, but for the time being we are stuck with unmanaged Cisco Aironet 1100's

A department was complaining that after the first 8 or so laptops log on, it becomes almost impossible to get any more on, which makes sense if they are all trying to connect to the same AP

There are multiple ones, one in each room, and from a quick roam around that room when you get to the outer edges, it does what you expect and connects to the next room

However the tables arnt like that, all the kids sit fairly central so it makes sense as to why they are all hitting the same AP.

I cant put a connection limit on them, because while it works a treat and doesnt let anyone else connect, there is no intelligence to pass the connection request onto another WAP, the laptop just sits there trying to connect and constantly getting rufused

So my question is, is there any simple way to improve this a bit?
    My idea, which may be awful, is that if I put 2 WAP's in the same room, at an equal distance apart, with the same SSID and on the same channel, would both be available or would it just cause havoc?

I cant really have multiple ones on different channels in the same room, because it would interfere with surrounding rooms.

Is my idea ridiculous or not? It was suggested to me a while ago by someone doing a quick network audit, when we said about all the problems we have with wireless

Or is there any way of decreasing the amount of data transfer that happens during logon? I already use a tiny mandatory profile, I try and keep starup scripts etc to a minimum on laptops, but still it takes ages

Thank Post

Re: Best way of spreading wireless load without managed system?

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder

A department was complaining that after the first 8 or so laptops log on, it becomes almost impossible to get any more on, which makes sense if they are all trying to connect to the same AP
    We somtimes have over 50 clients connected to 1 AP at one time, when say 2 rooms next to each other both book a 30 machine laptop trolly. We get no complaints of speed issues, and i was in the rooms the first time i knew that many laptops would be in 1 area to see how it handled it. You either have way to much being redirected on the laptops to network resources so traffic per client is way to large, or your getting interference.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers

We somtimes have over 50 clients connected to 1 AP at one time, when say 2 rooms next to each other both book a 30 machine laptop trolly. We get no complaints of speed issues, and i was in the rooms the first time i knew that many laptops would be in 1 area to see how it handled it. You either have way to much being redirected on the laptops to network resources so traffic per client is way to large, or your getting interference.
    What AP's are you using?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

You cannot put 2 waps on the same channel within hearing distance of each other it will cause havoc.

The only option is to put them on seperate channels and then you could use mac filtering on them to decide which laptops connect to which wap.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers

What AP's are you using?
    D-Link 2100 AP Got 20 of them round the school, all alternating between channel 1,6 and 11 making sure non of them overlap in channel number. Runs all staff laptops with sims and pars etc , and all 120 student use laptops fine.

PEO
    Thank Post

I have setup 3 areas for our laptop trolley which holds 30 laptops. each area has 3 3com APs. each AP allows only a maximum of 10 laptops. works really well.

Thank Post

Hope that firmwares upto date there is a very easy exploit you can do on those APs

PEO
    Thank Post

ChrisH are you refering to the 3com APs? if so what is the exploit and how. Yes firmware is upto date and monitored :-)

Thank Post

PEO
    Thank Post

God I almost had kittens for a sec

Thank Post

Re: Best way of spreading wireless load without managed syst

Quote Originally Posted by plexer
    You cannot put 2 waps on the same channel within hearing distance of each other it will cause havoc.

The only option is to put them on seperate channels and then you could use mac filtering on them to decide which laptops connect to which wap.

Ben
    Thought so, thanks, just needed it confirmed

Might try with the MAC filtering

Thank Post

I found this page on cisco's site about avoiding wireless interference quite useful when I was planning our setup:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wire...e/Channel.html

If you want multiple APs in one room on different channels, you may be able to turn the power of the signal down on the APs - unfortunately I'm not familiar with your model so I can't say. It's definitely possible on Linksys APs running DD-WRT firmware. Unfortunately, as the article explains, the laptops may still be transmitting at full blast so they will cause interference between rooms.

Thank Post

If the laptops have abg cards how about putting a couple of 802.11a APs?

We have 3 802.11a APs each with a different SSID and 10 laptops setup for each AP.

Thank Post

Why do you need to split the SSID's

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    If the laptops have abg cards how about putting a couple of 802.11a APs?

We have 3 802.11a APs each with a different SSID and 10 laptops setup for each AP.
    We have 4x Cisco Aironet 1200 Series AP 2 in science dept and 2 in Technology dept. Each pair support 20 laptops between them. Both pairs of AP's have the same SSID with automatic channel selection turned on.

No problems with speed BUT awful problems with dropped connections. We have 11b/g and 11a bands enabled with the same SSID.

Do you think spliting the AP's into 2 different SSID's with 10 laptops associated with each would solve my problems. Or has it to do with having the same SSID for both 11a and 11g bands. I have WPA-PSK encryption enable and are using windows zero config to configure Intel 3945ABG wireless card in laptop.

The other weird thing is we have much more problems in science than in technology. In science the AP's are nearer.

We also have an old lucent 2 card AP which is 11b with a different SSID. But this shouldn't be a problem as the Cisco's are dynamically choosing the optimum channel to use to avoid interference. Called "least congested frequency" by cisco

Cheers

Thank Post

Sorry

Yes you would want different AP's in order to load balance. Sorry forgot what the original question was. Can anyone give me advise pls?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast