+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Useless IT Provider in school in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Useless IT Provider in school

Hi, i've inherited a useless IT support provider in my new school. Any ideas on how to deal with them?

Highlights so far:
    four replies to approx. thirty emails on various issues
    RS232 ports being retrofitted to every new PC in the school, and we have no RS232 devices anywhere
    'we can put in new access points at a cost of £5k plus labour, but there's no guarantee they will work'
    'its not the network we put in, you have bad broadband'
    'your iPads aren't compatible with some sites on the internet'
    'YouTube is going to be shut down soon, so there's no point allowing it on the firewall'
    'Gmail doesn't work on the iPad, you need to replace these with Nexus tablets'
    'We could install a TV in the library, but we don't stock them. And anyway, if you have a TV you have to have a TV licence for every screen in the school'
    Invoicing us for inputting wifi passwords on to iPads- each one took ten minutes to do, apparently!

The dafter ones have been to individual teachers, although they do continue to be unprofessional to me.

Anybody have experiences with this sort of nonsense that can help me out? The company are keeping me quite entertained but eventually the SMT will think i'm an idiot if I keep passing these 'excuses' on. It's already difficult to explain why things are no longer working after they've been in to do work...
    Last edited by playstation; 6th December 2013 at 09:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Heh! Document everything with all your concerns and go to the governing body if need be.

Thank Post
    Get rid of them?

Ask for the current contract you have with the provider, and how long it is for, how much it is costing.

Keep a copy of allt he complete dribble they are giving you as answers etc, approach a proper provider with evidence of such rubbish being provided. Get proper provider to confirm this company is indeed spinning the school a lie. Attempt to leave contract due to breach of contract.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    Attempt to leave contract due to breach of contract.
    Sounds more like failing to provide services agreed in contract to me.

Thank Post
    True, depends on the contract though.

Thank Post
    Not only that, but name and shame. Companies only learn when their bottom line gets smaller and smaller. They don't deserve to exist!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,359 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by playstation View Post
    eventually the SMT will think i'm an idiot if I keep passing these 'excuses' on.
    Are you just repeating what they've said? I can see SMT thinking you're an idiot if you do that.

If you're explaining that [company] have claimed [thing] which isn't true, then I don't get why SMT would blame you for their incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    Keep a copy of all the complete dribble they are giving you as answers etc, approach a proper provider with evidence of such rubbish being provided. Get proper provider to confirm this company is indeed spinning the school a lie. Attempt to leave contract due to breach of contract.
    ^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowx View Post
    Not only that, but name and shame. Companies only learn when their bottom line gets smaller and smaller. They don't deserve to exist!
    ^ Also this.

Thank Post
    If the contract is still valid but you are having to pay for additional services, i.e. Wifi on ipads (not difficult) then just use someone different along side them. Stop calling them out for jobs jst pay them the bare minimum you can until the end of the contract.

Thank Post
    Now it's your time to make everything right!

I would also report back to your IT provider company Director regarding their employees IT basic knowledge.

Highlights so far:
    RS232 ports being retrofitted to every new PC in the school, and we have no RS232 devices anywhere
    'we can put in new access points at a cost of £5k plus labour, but there's no guarantee they will work'
    'YouTube is going to be shut down soon, so there's no point allowing it on the firewall'
    'We could install a TV in the library, but we don't stock them. And anyway, if you have a TV you have to have a TV licence for every screen in the school'
    Invoicing us for inputting wifi passwords on to iPads- each one took ten minutes to do, apparently!
    LOL, Make me laugh!

Thank Post
    Some of these made me giggle. I know thats wrong, but really! Gmail doesn't work on an iPad! ROFL.

Seriously though, some of these jobs almost anyone with a little tech know how can do. I'd do the jobs you can, and then inform SMT that since they couldn't do it, you took matters into your own hands, and completed the jobs. They may start questioning the bills they're paying then.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd take that list and write responses to each point, then give it to smt and explain why you shouldn't use them anymore.

The answers are funny and shocking in equal measure.

Thank Post
    Hey, thanks for all the replies!

The amount of times I have thought 'seriously, I am not an idiot' this term is staggering. I was teaching (in another school) before I took this job and I think they are using this to try and annoy me... teachers, and all that!

I have documented everything since week 4 of this term, sent the SMT the relevant info along with links proving that what they have stated is nonsense.

As for the contract, i'm hopeful we can remove these fools and i'll gladly say who they are once this is resolved. I have already had a quote for a Ruckus system to replace the 54g Netgear Access Points they installed prior to me taking this job (they are the latest technology! It can easily support your requirements!) and the company that has provided this quote is much better. The odd thing with the current company is that they are reasonably large and presumably can't be this awful all the time? I've now dealt with four employees and the boss and they are all full of nonsense. The '£5k but there's no guarantee it will work' came directly from the boss!

I am getting masses of work done in this job, the IT company have set hours each week and i'm able to do 90% of the work, leaving them with easy tasks to do each week- but no danger of contract reduction as there are 'insurance purposes' things to do. The only problems that arise are from their work- which fortunately is being noticed on a regular basis, as is my work in driving the ICT department forwards in terms of software and usage.

More awesomeness:
    Teacher- I cannot access the teacher drive
    Company- Well the solution is to reformat your PC, it'll take at least a week
    'Could you plug your iPads into the ethernet?'
    'Ah, the whiteboard has a USB B connection, your PC has a USB A- you'll need to replace the whiteboard'

Thank Post
    Would definitely be going to smt with this and maybe some quotes from other companys who could provide the same service. Show them how much money they can save. you might be able to break the contract because they are providing inadequate services

Thank Post
    I bet they got this one from back in April 2013 when the April Fools joke was doing the rounds that Youtube was closing down and the competition to find the best ever video was over.

Thank Post
    I would name and shame this provider. You may help someone who is considering using them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast