+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Weird problem: I can ping, but can not physically find a router ! in Technical; Situation: server 2012 who acts as a dhcp and dns server several access points with fixed ip adresses outside the ...

Thank Post

Weird problem: I can ping, but can not physically find a router !

Situation:
    server 2012 who acts as a dhcp and dns server
    several access points with fixed ip adresses outside the scope of the dhcp. All have wpa2 aes password.

problem:
    since 2 days some laptops don't have internet when they connect (successfully) to an accesspoint (other laptops work with that access point)
    => ipconfig tells me they connect to a different router (192.168.0.1), when I go to http://192.168.0.1 I am greeted with a login page from conceptronic (default admin admin wants to load a page but stays blank after 5 min of searching, other passwords give me a login error)
    When i give the problem laptops a fixed ip and gateway, all is good. Only on automatic dhcp it chooses that wrong router somehow.

I do not use the brand conceptronic anywhere in the building... so I am guessing that router is somehow connected wirelessy with my wireless network? Sugestions?

Thank Post
    Look to see if you have if you have more the one device with the some IP address is a good start! What router is it?

Thank Post
    it's a whole other subnet:

dhcp range for my computers: 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.230. My accesspoints start at 192.168.1.233-243 with the dhcp and dns server somewhere above that: no leases are the same (checked)

the router is 192.168.0.1 apparantly and it's a conceptronic, but since it's not one of my own (i never bought something from conceptronic) i can't give u other specifications....
    Last edited by emboha; 5th November 2013 at 10:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Something, somewhere is just running it's own DHCP. Try and track it down it's probably just an AP - are there any odd wireless SSIDs around?

Thank Post
    Ok I see you have a Rogue AP some where on your network? yeah Maybe try an wifi app on your phone and have a walk round!

Thank Post
    heh, i got into the admin console with some other standard password. Changed the admin password and messed up the settings up(disabled dhcp etc) (I know, I'm evil ;-) ) so now the laptops are connecting fine.
    He can always hard reset the thing, but since it was standard password protected, i don't think he knows a lot about these kind of things...

When the problem occurs again, i'll have a lookout for some rogue AP's in the building with my smartphone.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 5th November 2013 at 10:29 AM.

Thank Post
    if they are auto connecting to the wifi with the same SID does this mean that the person (assuming you think it's someone messing around) knows your wifi password to make it auto connect or do you think he has joined the laptop to the wifi himself?

Thank Post
    Can always download network monitor called The Dude from Mikro Tik and will give you an idea where it is ( what switch on )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by emboha View Post
    heh, i got into the admin console with some other standard password. Changed the admin password and fucked the settings up(disabled dhcp etc) (I know, I'm evil ;-) ) so now the laptops are connecting fine.
    He can always hard reset the thing, but since it was standard password protected, i don't think he knows a lot about these kind of things...

When the problem occurs again, i'll have a lookout for some rogue AP's in the building with my smartphone.
    I'd have looked at the SSID it was dishing out and tracked it down (feeling all Columbo!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnykewell1
    if they are auto connecting to the wifi with the same SID does this mean that the person (assuming you think it's someone messing around) knows your wifi password to make it auto connect or do you think he has joined the laptop to the wifi himself?
    Or there's no security and the kids have just been clicking on it...
    Last edited by gwendes; 5th November 2013 at 10:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 832 Posts
    Could have been a rookie attempt at a man in the middle attack - I'd be trying to track that AP down and find out what it's doing on your network

Thank Post
    Yeah I thought that afterwards gwendes but then would it say unsecured?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnykewell1 View Post
    Yeah I thought that afterwards gwendes but then would it say unsecured?
    It would if you found it.

Wouldn't worry - most of the time I've found old routers/APs they've just been from a test environment that wasn't properly decommissioned or a member of staff trying to 'help' by bringing in old kit from home!

Thank Post
    I connected the laptop to the right AP myself (the one i installed and is protected) and even then, it got a wrong default gateway.
    For now, the problem is gone since i disabled the dhcp on the roque AP, but i will definetly track it down, if next time, it pops up again.

Thank Post
    One really basic rule I enforce is...you don't connect anything to my network that hasn't been given to you to connect. (Yeah they probably think the same as you're thinking but at least the network stands a chance of working when they want it.)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast