+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Meru 1020AP Density in Technical; Andy, Any chance you could send me an email with your contact information and the Meru ticket reference so I ...

Thank Post
    Andy,

Any chance you could send me an email with your contact information and the Meru ticket reference so I can pick this up for you?

My email is plambert at merunetworks dot com.

Kindest regards,
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMR2 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Apologies for the extremely late reply.

We are using an MC 3200 5.3-132 fw with 1020 AP's. We're using Spectralink 8440 handsets with fw 4.2.1.0003 through a Mitel 3300 PBX.
    We get exactly the same problem on the MC1500 controllers as well and I am struggling with the support here.

The controller shows lots of calls and the IP addresses are often back to front in the to from fields on the controller. We also get the one way voice or dropped calls. We did some Wireshark tests to try to capture it and I've put a diagram together here
    Gliffy Public Diagram - RFBI Analysis .

Appreciate any help people may have.

Thank Post
    Thanks, have pm'd you and replied to an email from mhowell.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    At that density, assuming your walls/floors aren't unusually opaque I would expect to see Channel Layering configured.

If Paul wasn't looking into this and you don't have channel layers (i.e. pair up each AP with each member of the pair on a different frequency say AP1 on CH1 and AP2 on CH11, AP3-CH2 AP4-CH11, replicated across the site with a couple of options ticked on the controller to enhance channel selection by the clients) My next troubleshooting step would be see how loud each AP was to its neighbour. If its louder than -65db(*) I'd consider picking an area within the site and disable alternate APs (ie. AP 2, 4 , 6 based on their physical location not their actual AP number) within that area (don't forget space is 3 dimensional so above and below need to be taken into account) and see if you got improvements in client connection stability.

(*)the idea being that -65db is required between the device and AP for Voice. If you have got that between APs then every time there is a simultaneous broadcast by clients or APs in that area the radios will not be able to differentiate and the signal will be lost, so a reduction in density actually improves things. Meru has mechanisms to minimize these collisions at its very core so it is much better at highish denisty ap deployments than the general competition, but there are limits... That said for channel layers your require pairs (or triads) or APs/Radios to be very close...

I wonder whether the people whole installed the wireless understood your intended use case?

Thank Post
    Hi Guys,

Thought I would update the thread with the resolution.

Updated to the latest firmware 5.3.153 and our Spectralink phones aren't dropping calls anymore!

One of the bug fixes included in the release:

38428 - Issues that caused Polycom phones to abruptly terminate SIP calls and poor voice quality has been fixed

While I'm happy with the result it would have been nice to know that this was already a reported issue being worked on. After tearing my hair out for months I can finally sleep a little easier.

5. Thanks to AndyMR2 from:

psydii (25th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Ultimately this is the kind of slant you are going to get from a sponsored forum...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinova View Post
    Ultimately this is the kind of slant you are going to get from a sponsored forum...
    Hmm. While a solution was provided, getting there was not the best experience for the end user.. And played out in public.

If you complain about something in public, you should also follow up to let potential future readers how things turned out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @Destinova are you a disgruntled former employee or something as you seem bent on railing meru as absolute carp. This is the 2nd thread you've done it on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12