+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Home drive size limits - what are yours? in Technical; All users of all ages (year 3-13) get 50MB to start, and then upped as needed, after a good going ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

Re: Home drive size limits - what are yours?

All users of all ages (year 3-13) get 50MB to start, and then upped as needed, after a good going through home areas to remove cat and dog pics, pop stars, music etc.... Upgrading to Server 2003 R2 soon and going to put the filters on as well as the new Soft Quotas option for most users, as well as my new RAID 5 array (74GB disks). Set the starting quota to 100MB with a 30MB soft overflow to them all. Biggest quotas belong to Admins and house masters, were all over 1GB

Thank Post

All pupils and all staff - No Limits

I have alot of 73Gb SCSI hard drives and generally place 1-2 year groups on each one, with the Year 10 and Year 11 seperate as they seem to grow more.

Never really ran into any space issues and just watch for hard drive space available and if major jumps in backup space are used up I check the pupil areas using Treesize (nice program).

Its probably less hassle that way than having to constantly explain quotas to pupils and staff and having to force them to delete things.

Thank Post

@siuko: It's good for the kids to get into the habit of using quotas - the curricula (is that a word?) state that the little darlings need to be able to manage their files and keeping an eye on disk usage is one of the most important things IMHO. DIDA also specifically mentions archiving and compressing files to save space.

Thank Post

since upgrading to windows server 2003 we havent imposed limits.

We have 120GB storage between our 260 ish staff and 1600 students (office network is separate and runs novell)

It was suprising how unlimited space hasnt been abused and most of the save areas have all work related content.

Thank Post

Our user areas aren't abused and most people seem to have very little - it's nice to know that they can't go mad though

Thank Post

No Disk Quota's 1 server with 200 gig in it for home directorys.

Its been in for 2 years now, with last years, year 11 still on and its only using up 120gb with shadow copies on too. So until space becomes a problem i do not intend to use quota's its gives you more issues.

Thank Post

You guys are lucky. I have plenty of users using photoshop who have no concept of resolution or dpi. Got a few students with over 1GB. Staff are the worst, some have almost 3GB now. Backing up roughly 550k essential files every night atm. Pictures from digital cameras are the worst offenders it seems, people don't know that you don't *have* to take all your pics at 5 megapixels. :/

Thank Post

Sounds highly familiar - these new digi cams are the new "virus" of computer networks, when staff realise that a picture at 2 megapixel will make an A3 print well will be the best day of the year! (newest digital camera that i have seen used was 8megapixel, and they were taking them on that resolution and putting them on my lan! EEK

Thank Post

Photoshop is a pain too. I had a wonderful picture today, people shouldn't be surprised if there quota fills up if they decided their canvas needs to be 5000x5000 pixels. I pointed out that I would need 6(!) dell 30" tfts arranged 2 across and 3 down just to view it a 1:1 :P

More bad news, this was mentioned today at work too. Noooooo!

Thank Post

Yup, had the talk about that one, nice camera, but wish people would understand when high resolution is needed. The last time I used the 5M on my camera was when I needed to ensure some A3 glossy prints I was ordering were going to be of the highest quality possible for a display at work, so it was very justified, but normally my camera is set to 3M at the most.

Another program to avoid (appart form photoshop) is Corel Painter, its a great tool for Artists, but makes HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE files in your profile, it must have taken a lesson from Google Earth, makes profiles easily over 200MB in size in one opening.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Another program to avoid (appart form photoshop) is Corel Painter, its a great tool for Artists, but makes HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE files in your profile, it must have taken a lesson from Google Earth, makes profiles easily over 200MB in size in one opening.
    If you're interested, they've fixed that problem in Google Earth now, but it won't change the path to its cache if you upgrade an old version so you have to either do a full uninstall and then install the new version or install over the top and do the necessary tweaks (registry iirc)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee
    If you're interested, they've fixed that problem in Google Earth now, but it won't change the path to its cache if you upgrade an old version so you have to either do a full uninstall and then install the new version or install over the top and do the necessary tweaks (registry iirc)
    Thanks for the info, we still have GE banned as we don't trust google and there policies in general about data collection / harvesting. Running out main MIS via the web etc.... We didn't want any chance of MIS data being accidently harvested or anything like that as the google info is not 110% clear still in our view. We use MSN Virtual Earth for that kind of thing, no software, just go to the webpage and off we jollywell! But as we keep reviewing, I will bare it in mind that they have fixed that problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

50MB each for students, 150MB for staff. There is plenty more capacity on the server but backup capacity is more limited and we have to get SIMS and other systems into those backups too.

Because of Google Earth and iTunes I've deliberately limited the size of roaming profiles to 30MB. I was getting fed up with the amount of 3GB profiles I was seeing on my server :|. I've had to stop it uploading Google Earth and Macromedia stuff to the roaming profile server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries

250mb

Thank Post

200mb

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast