+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Stages of wireless adoption - Poll (Kind of) in Technical; I have 200+ laptops, wifi printers, etc. I use 28 Dlink 3200APs 54Mbp G standard only. The are what were ...
    Thank Post
    I have 200+ laptops, wifi printers, etc. I use 28 Dlink 3200APs 54Mbp G standard only. The are what were called smart access points (they don't need a central controller) Than can be administered from a single program but really only to clone settings. so a 2.5 solution.

They are rock solid enterprise class APs and plenum rated. 7 Years old and still working!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Junior school- Ruckus
    Middle-deemed-secondary Meru
    so..3, I guess?

Thank Post
    Special School

age3-19

stage 3 managed ruckus

Thank Post
    1400 on roll Secondary School here - we're level 3, having just had a Xirrus install. Previous to that we had a centrally controlled 3com nightmare setup. 'Twas awful.

Thank Post
    Ah my thread is sinking without trace, didn't get anywhere near 50 responses lol

Thank Post
    2004 to 2011 we were stage 2, now were stage 3 with Ruckus.

Thank Post
    Peter, try asking again but this time ask people to comment not only what vendor they selected, but also WHY they chose that vendor. That should be more revealing.

You should always start with your requirements, vendor selection much later.

NM

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by petertec View Post
    Would be great to hear from guys at secondary schools in particular as to where you are at?
    We're a prep school - Ruckus controller and access points, not too expensive (under 10,000 for the complete system) but it seems to work just fine for what we've done with it so far (number 3 on your list). We've had 20 or so laptops at a time in a classroom with no problem, and we have people wander in and out of the building during the day using the wireless network. There was a thread with neilmac a week or two ago where we discussed wireless location systems - track individual wireless devices around the school (asset management) and/or electronic tags for visitors. It's a feature that I think our school in particular would find very useful, and it's another feature to bear in mind if you're looking at buying a wieless system.
    Last edited by dhicks; 17th October 2013 at 08:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Secondary. 2/3 I think.

We have/had CISCO WAP's which were installed before my time to give site wide cover for teacher laptops. We then started deploying laptop trolleys, which proved problematic in supporting the density of devices that could accumulate within an area. For years chatter has been about 1:1 devices, so we put in place a strategic programme to move from the unmanaged CISO WAPS, to a managed system which could support (in theory!) the required device density. In our case we choose MERU. We are 2 years into what was a 3/4 year programme, but we will probably pull forward the remaining work to complete the changeover by next summer.

IMO @neilmac's advice is good. Difficult to actually follow but good!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmac View Post
    ...ask people to comment not only what vendor they selected, but also WHY they chose that vendor. That should be more revealing.
    In every case I chose the platform that a 'Solution Architect'(*) I had developed a good working relationship with, and a strong respect for, who demonstrated a holistic understanding of what we were trying to achieve, recommended (and yes they were part of the sales team that would land the order). Different Solution Architect/Company each time. Happy customer.

I gloss over the one I'm not allowed to talk about, but if you put a negative in front of each of those statements you can imagine (if you like) how it turned out.

(*)One of them was a low four digit CCIE and he sold me Chantry/Extreme kit with the AutoCell plugin.
    Last edited by psydii; 17th October 2013 at 09:59 AM.

Thank Post
    2.5 for us, definately not yet in the full enterprise arena, nor do we need to be. (400+ pupil primary)

I found out that if you inherit a ten year old wired n/w with 100Mbps switches and occasional domestic quality access points resting on the top of cupboards it rather pays not to upgrade your core. If you wait long enough the appeal of wifi will highlight the patheticness of the present solution and funds will appear, followed by some more funds to upgrade the core, cabs, etc. Worked for me.

And to add...I chose Ruckus. Two 'consultants' offered us top price netgear and dlink solutions [with one eye on Mercedes Benz catalogues I think]. I chose, because no one else would, and I chose Ruckus because after a great deal of googling I could not find a bad word about them. I have been very pleased with the solution, so has everyone else in school.
    Last edited by catch21; 19th October 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Thank Post
    We were between 2 + 3 in the summer, now we're move of a 2.9 and I'm currently working on becoming a 3 as my main project at the moment.

About 4 years ago my manager bought into Aruba, no real investigation was done in to different products, features etc so I've kind of had this one thrust upon me by force rather than choice. It has turned out to be a good choice through sheer blind luck though, I've currently got 22 APs on a 3200 mobility controller (Probably need another 10-15 for 100% coverage though, it's patchy in areas and our maths + drama depts currently have no wifi at all).

For quite a long time we had 6 APs in the main guest visted area of the school and two SSIDs - one with a simple WPA password and the other which was open but only accessible through a captive portal login guests could get through our receptionist or librarian (rest of the school had hp AP 420 basic access points). Now though we're finally getting round to making it fully BYOD compatible, implementing RADIUS on two SSIDs, one for internal domain connected devices with full network access, one with intermediary access with captive portal + Device enrollment capability, then a guest system which will be firewalled off from the main network in a walled garden scenario granting guest users + student devices access to the internet connection only(each on their own vlans i should add).

Quite enjoying learning the Aruba system at the moment, I've got an 850 page configuration guide for the controller alone, then a further 100 pages for configuring clearpass + airgroup. Safe to say I'm being kept busy.....Not the cheapest of systems though by any means, so I'm glad it's something we've expanded on over time rather than all in one go.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    Secondary school approx 750 students, 120 staff, Aerohive installed and configured by LAN3 full school coverage except for the sports-hall which is a separate building which had its own cisco wireless APs 1140s.

We are at stage 3 as we have BYOD although not fully utilised by the staff and students.

Approximately 120 different mobile devices ranging from HP100e netbooks to Ipad's to nexus 7's etc

Thank Post
    Site wide MERU here - primarily BYOD but laptops in DT (8), Library (10) & Science (16) & 8 teachers with ipad mini's and apple TV's.

Thank Post
    we are using equipment to comply with section 3, but we only have enough of it to comply with 2.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12