+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Samsung netbooks and Ruckus in Technical; We have a Ruckus WIFI network and are having issues now getting a good connection with our Samsung NC10 netbooks, ...
    Thank Post

Samsung netbooks and Ruckus

We have a Ruckus WIFI network and are having issues now getting a good connection with our Samsung NC10 netbooks, it's just them as I tested android, iPad, Acer Laptop (Intel card) and they all connect at an acceptable speed. Tested them using the speed test utility. The Nc10's have Qualcomm AR5007EG WiFi cards v10 driver ( latest I cold find and did have MS driver previously which was no better).
    Now how long this has been an issue I don't know as no one ever tells me there is an issue! So had the chance to do a bit of testing this morning, scores on the doors were as follows:

an iPad using the app, 40.4Mbs Down, 19.1MbsUp

an android using the app, 33Mbs Down, 32Mbs Up

Vista based laptop (Intel card)139Mbs Down, 37Mbs Up

Samsung NC10, 239Kbs Down, 488Kbs Up (Packet loss is 56%down and 5%up although I have seen 80%!)

Anyone got any ideas what I could do, adding plug in usb cards could be possible if they were very low profile as we are a primary school and anything sticking out too far would just get broken.

Thank Post
    Have you looked at the driver properties to see if you can change any of the driver settings from device manager? Thats the only thing i can think of at the moment.

Thank Post
    What do the controller logs say ?

Thank Post
    Answer to both he above is? With the settings on properties I haven't a clue what half of them mean so could make it worse ( not by much though) and with the logs don't know enough to tell if the info is any use. Have passed it all on to our installer who are usually quite good so will see what comes from that.

Thank Post
    If it turns out its the wifi card/ driver that are just no good then would something like this be a better alternative Buy NETGEAR N150 Nano Wireless-N USB Adaptor | Free Delivery | Currys

Nice and small and not obtrusive so as to be knocked off? Just not sure of their performance?

Thank Post
    For that price id be tempted to buy one just to test.

Can you gain access to the internal wireless cards to change but again at the price, if the netgear ones work you cant complain. You just dont want the kids to take them out.

Thank Post
    Think I may have another make at school, bigger but at least it would prove a point if it had better performance but the Low profile one would be ideal. Anther job for tomorrow then!
    Last edited by TechSupp; 7th October 2013 at 10:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Have you checked the power management settings? If the wireless card is set to 'maximum power savings' in the power profile, then all sorts of odd things can happen. Set it to 'maximum performance' and see if things improve.

9. Thanks to FishCustard from:

TechSupp (7th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Ok, will add that to list for tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Just an update to this, Ruckus had all the logs etc from testing and confirm that the connection from Samsungs are rubbish to not put too fine a point on it, they blame the Atheros wifi driver in the Netbook. Anyone else got ruckus and Samsung NC10 's with this card on W7 and have them working? I cant be the only only with tis issue surely? Sure we didn't have this issue after we went to w7 so next job is to downgrade ruckus controller firmware to one we had a while ago and see what happens then and also contact Samsung. Anyone got a good contact for Samsung technical that has proven worthwhile previously?

If all else fails is it possible to replace the wifi module in a Netbook for another make I.e. Intel or is that just something not possible?
    Last edited by TechSupp; 28th October 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Which Android device did you test with?

All of the other devices that 'worked' appear to be 5ghz capable. The AR5007 is not. It is a single stream 2.4ghz only device.

Have you run any non-wifi interference scanning? I'd suggest forcing one of your AP's to channel 1 and trying again (as channels 6 and 11 are most frequently impacted with non-wifi interference).

This aside, as per other posts, I'd take a look at your driver version (make sure it is up to date), and also ensure your wireless power saving is disabled (Windows 7 power profile, set WiFi to Maximum Performance). You'll often see that with Maximum Performance your devices will work better at density, in turn reducing the power consumption!

wotnowires

Thank Post
    As far as I am aware there is no interference as we had that area I was testing in scanned. After a bit of googling going to try some different versions of the driver and another model of Samsung Netbook (different card) just for comparison. Thanks for the suggestions though. Will try and update this thread with any news in case anyone else has similar issues. All was fine on XP (well lets say, certainly better than the results at the moment!).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wotnowires View Post
    Which Android device did you test with?

All of the other devices that 'worked' appear to be 5ghz capable. The AR5007 is not. It is a single stream 2.4ghz only device.

Have you run any non-wifi interference scanning? I'd suggest forcing one of your AP's to channel 1 and trying again (as channels 6 and 11 are most frequently impacted with non-wifi interference).

This aside, as per other posts, I'd take a look at your driver version (make sure it is up to date), and also ensure your wireless power saving is disabled (Windows 7 power profile, set WiFi to Maximum Performance). You'll often see that with Maximum Performance your devices will work better at density, in turn reducing the power consumption!

wotnowires
    Can setting the wifi power profile be dine via gpo? I have most things set to not save power, no sleep etc but not seen a wifi power setting?

Thank Post
    A little update with the Samsung latest driver I get a regular 30Mbs Download and 17Mbs upload at nearly all AP's (I have issues with two), did try a ZyXEL USB wireless N adaptor and results are 53Mb Down, 33 Up which is much better but its a dongle and not ideal as could see the just getting lost of broken off. Need to find a good micro one to test, suppliers are looking to loan us one and possibly a replacement internal one to test. Will update when tested with thise options.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    I have those netbooks, and Ruckus and Windows 7. I will check what wireless card they have tomorrow

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast