+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Wireless Networks Thread, ruckus kit in Technical; Originally Posted by neilmac That's not how professional WLAn designers work. It's how cowboys work. If internal it can still ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmac View Post
    That's not how professional WLAn designers work. It's how cowboys work.
    If internal it can still yield a decent result, I'm not suggesting a contractor do this. There are always going to be edge cases like grounded metallic insulation in walls and weird electrical systems. There is a middle zone where the learning is as valuable as the initial deployment and this site is all about decemination of skills and ideas so that everyone has a better idea of how to do stuff. There is always a place for experts but the best outcome is everyone knowing more about it so that experts don't need to be called in for every little thing. Share a little wisdom and the rewards are be greater than hoarding information that will be stale soon anyway.

Thank Post
    Hi Ben -

That was in no way directed to the abilities or skills of the school admins, if anyone has interpreted it that way, then that wasn't the intent and I am happy to set the record straight. I was referring to people who charge the end users a huge amount but provide bad service. Let me try to explain.

My point is that there are many installer/integrators who do not have professional level knowledge and do take advantage of the schools by overcharging for time, services and product. They do site surveys with Netstumbler etc.

If anything, I would like to hope that with only a small amount of additional knowledge, the end users (in this case the schools) would be able to understand enough to know when they were getting a good, honest service.

Schools vey often do have a limited options, which is why it's even more important that it's done right first time.

So, if your network is not particularly stressed (ie needs constant high throughput and is high density) then virtually any WiFi product will work. It's debatable if there is any benefit to enterprise systems if you can manually configure low tech access points. if they are wiFi alliance certified they will work as well as any other in low stress environments.

But, what when you want to go more complex ? Again, even more complex equipment can be installed and will run, if there are faults in the design, then they won't be noticed as the user experience is good enough.

How about when you are really planning something specific ? In this case, you can meet a couple of scenarios. Someone not too skilled sells a solution they themselves don't understand, it's installed wrong and doesn't meet the expectation. It's painful to the end user and usually they have to pay out more to get it fixed. Or, a professional designer will work with the customer to understand their requirements and design and install a solution to match. Professional wifi people don't charge lots of money for shoddy advice, they really do provide a proper service when it's required. It's people who charge a lot of money for the wrong solution, and leave you high and dry, they are the ones you need to avoid. If youwant to use a professional company, just ask them for their certifications. If the answer is "none" then that should tell you something.

So you have to plan from the very beginning a solution that will match time, specification and budget. If you want to just put the access points up yourself and do the config, it may well work fine, and you can ask here for help, lot's of switched on people will give you advice.

My aim through all of this is to offer technical advice that enables the end user to make informed decisions.

As for the original post, he wants a professional install with training, 4,000 pounds for a week's works from a reputable company is a fair price for professional level work.

Again, my apologies to anyone who thought I was referring to them, it's not the case.

NM

3. Thanks to neilmac from:

mac_shinobi (8th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,692 Times in 2,282 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OK, let's open a new thread on RTLS. What would you like to know about it ?

I can explain technical details, but not sales information.
    Cool, maybe how it works, how much it is, what it requires and it's limitations, a nice overview of the tech would be handy.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (8th October 2013)

Thank Post
    OK, let's open a new thread on RTLS. What would you like to know about it ?
    Does "RTLS" mean Real Time Location Services? I can picture the feature I want - a handy 2D plan view of the school, split into different floors, with little Xs marking various devices. I vaugly imagine triangulation of a particular device involves getting signal strength data from the central controller / each wireless access point for each wireless device and doing a quick spot of triganometry to figure out its location. If that is the case, any idea how I get a Ruckus (or set of access points) to cough up signal strength data?

Thank Post
    Hi David, I posted a new thread on RTLS, I'd be happy to take questions there.

8. Thanks to neilmac from:

dhicks (9th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Do the Ruckas points have to be ceiling mounted in the middle of the room for the beamflex to work optimally??

Thank Post
    so i've been told , we might not do that however as some of our ceilings have asbestos so no drilling

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe that is the case, but we haven't done it here - we can't in most of our rooms as the ceilings are something like 15ft high and we aren't allowed in the void due to asbestos. Instead, they're put on the walls and we've not had any issues as yet. However, our system is aimed at coverage rather than density. So, the positioning and alignment will depend on your environment's needs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Do the Ruckas points have to be ceiling mounted in the middle of the room for the beamflex to work optimally??
    A lot depends on the Access Point- the 7363 for example has only single polarity on its antennas so it should be mounted horizontally i.e. on ceiling. Regarding Beamflex, ideally a clear air area of around 2m helps it achieve best performance.

Mark

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123