+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, ruckus kit in Technical; That last point, about future planning, is very true. When we installed our setup (which is in place for coverage, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That last point, about future planning, is very true. When we installed our setup (which is in place for coverage, rather than density), we flooded the school with cable drops for potential placing of APs to cope with a significant increase in device density. We don't have any need for it yet, but longer term it'll save us money as we can add APs at the drop of a hat, without any extra infrastructure needs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmac View Post
    Access points placed for data will be laid out differently from those deployed for VoIP, and differently from those deployed for location tracking.
    Do you have much experience in using wireless access points for location tracking? I'm hoping to use our Ruckus wireless access points to track where assorted devices are around the school - we never seem to know where cameras, iPods and so on are, it would be very handy to be able to triangulate their position via WiFi down to the classroom they are in. The access points would need to be used for data access, too, of course - are the two functions somewhat mutualy exclusive?

Thank Post
    Hi David.

If you want generic advice, I would be happy to take this up in a new thread. 《 Advertising removed 》

NM
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 7th October 2013 at 10:17 PM.

4. Thanks to neilmac from:

dhicks (8th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Hi David.

If you want generic advice, I would be happy to take this up in a new thread. 《 Advertising removed 》

NM
    I would be interested in location tracking , requirements, what's needed and how it works etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I would be interested in location tracking , requirements, what's needed and how it works etc
    A compatible network, like ruckus and a bunch of battery powered WiFi location tags that last a year or more on a battery Wifi & RFID Tags for Accurate Tracking - Aeroscout

7. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

dhicks (8th October 2013), mac_shinobi (8th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    A compatible network, like ruckus and a bunch of battery powered WiFi location tags that last a year or more on a battery Wifi & RFID Tags for Accurate Tracking - Aeroscout
    So the tracking is done from the client device? I imagine the location tags measure the signal strength from the various access points and triangulate their position from those, then report back via WiFi to a central server. It sound like the sort of thing you could do yourself with a Raspberry Pi or similar, although probably way less power-efficient. Is there some way of measuring signal strength from the access points themselves so you don't have to run any client-side code?

Thank Post
    Wow that isnt a bad goodybag at all!!! we run Ruckus here, easy to use and setup. Cant complain about the system at all

10. Thanks to tobiasclarity from:

kiwimatt (8th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimatt View Post
    many thanks for the advice all

my 1st thought was diy

but my boss wants it done asap by professionals with experience

he's ok'd the spend so all fine by me as i get some training with it

aps are 7363 not 7343 my fat fingers strike again , but good new that we have the newer aps's

re: diy/guest byod access did you use layer 3 to segregate off the byod devices from your networks/servers or do you just use the RUckus guest module

will contact net-ctrl tomorrow

many thanks all again

matt

I did ours. Tell the boss you're an expert and pocket the 4000. Its a walk in the park and there's plenty of great advice available on here. Heck I'll take a couple of days off and come and do it for you for 4000.

12. 2 Thanks to catch21:

dhicks (8th October 2013), kiwimatt (8th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    So the tracking is done from the client device? I imagine the location tags measure the signal strength from the various access points and triangulate their position from those, then report back via WiFi to a central server. It sound like the sort of thing you could do yourself with a Raspberry Pi or similar, although probably way less power-efficient. Is there some way of measuring signal strength from the access points themselves so you don't have to run any client-side code?
    Not sure on this, there is a setting in the ruckus controller to enable the use of the tracking tags. They use a different standard than 802.11abgn which is much lower power and can transmit a limited amount of data, some I think include gps to increase accuracy but this kills battery way quicker, there are also tags rated to high temperatures. I think the triangulation is done either by client software configured by the user or the ruckus system with adequate information of wap locations. Some of them appear to have stuff like call or assistance buttons that look quite cool. I have not implemented it myself so my knowledge is limited to what I have read but I seem to be far more forthcoming with it than @neilmac.

14. Thanks to SYNACK from:

dhicks (8th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Sorry I am at a meeting I will post about RTLS later

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I did ours. Tell the boss you're an expert and pocket the 4000. Its a walk in the park and there's plenty of great advice available on here. Heck I'll take a couple of days off and come and do it for you for 4000.
    Bad advice. Dont underestimate wifi and only take expert advice from experts. Check certifications.
    Last edited by neilmac; 8th October 2013 at 12:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bad advice. Dont underestimate wifi and only take expert advice from experts. Check certifications.
    You can do a lot with reading and trial and error though, in this case a professional contractor has been requested but it is not always necessary and it can benefit the school much more to give the experience to their local staff so upgrades are quick easy and cheap rather than requiring another couple of thousand pounds for a few hours work with their best effort implementation based on their possibly limited experience with the site and it's difficulties.

Thank Post
    OK, let's open a new thread on RTLS. What would you like to know about it ?

I can explain technical details, but not sales information.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You can do a lot with reading and trial and error though, in this case a professional contractor has been requested but it is not always necessary and it can benefit the school much more to give the experience to their local staff so upgrades are quick easy and cheap rather than requiring another couple of thousand pounds for a few hours work with their best effort implementation based on their possibly limited experience with the site and it's difficulties.
    That's not how professional WLAN designers work. Cowboy companies have been know to provide the wrong advice and charge a premium for it, but you should be able to trust a properly certified professional to be honest and ethical and work to your best interests.
    Last edited by neilmac; 8th October 2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Clear up meaning

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    That's not how professional WLAn designers work. It's how cowboys work.
    That's a maybe but in a lot of school environments it's a compromise between the money and resources available and what the local tech guys can deliver we'd all like to do things by the book but have to go McGuyver and cowboy every now and then so please temper your replies slightly.

Thanks

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast