Poll: Do you run a routed or a flat network?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Routed or Flat Network? in Technical; Hi all, Just wanted to see how many people run a routed network compared to a flat network in terms ...
    Thank Post

Routed or Flat Network?

Hi all,

Just wanted to see how many people run a routed network compared to a flat network in terms of network design?

and also how many of you have one curriculum domain and one admin domain versus 1 whole school domain joining the two together?

Our school has a flat network design (i.e. one subnet for all) with one core router for internet access.

Thank Post

Re: Routed or Flat Network?

In my last school I created a routed campus with several VLAN's using different subnets. There was also only one AD Domain. (300+ Desktops).

I've just moved to a school that is one flat network with one subnet. One of the top things on my adgenda is creating a routed VLAN network. Having everyone in one big subnet makes me cringe. I like the idea of compartmentalizing. Also it makes the network more efficient when you get to larger size networks.

I think one AD domain can easily run a school. You can wield it to even make it look like it's more then one domain. ie students can log into @students.school.edu and teachers to @teachers.school.edu yet its one domain.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've just, a week or so ago, finished converting from a flat network to a routed network for the reasons sreiach mentions.

Thank Post

1 Domain and routed network here. Been running a routed network for nearly a year. Using a HP 4160GL as the core.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

In a school environment what real-world benefits do you get from dividing the network in that manor?

Thank Post

2 AD domains and about a dozen subnets. 2 domains because when setup we wanted seperate password policies for staff and students and software wasn't available to allow this. Planning on moving to one domain when we have the time to migrate the users.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sreiach
    In my last school I created a routed campus with several VLAN's using different subnets. There was also only one AD Domain. (300+ Desktops).

I've just moved to a school that is one flat network with one subnet. One of the top things on my adgenda is creating a routed VLAN network. Having everyone in one big subnet makes me cringe. I like the idea of compartmentalizing. Also it makes the network more efficient when you get to larger size networks.

I think one AD domain can easily run a school. You can wield it to even make it look like it's more then one domain. ie students can log into @students.school.edu and teachers to @teachers.school.edu yet its one domain.
    Which routing protocol will you be running ?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    In a school environment what real-world benefits do you get from dividing the network in that manor?
    The separation of admin and curriculum seems to be the winner for most people; not practical here, mind you, as we have too many dual-role people and data shared between teachers and admin staff. Personally, I'd rather put decent security on the one network than try and deal with the complications of two.

I would run a second one though if plans to have Sixth Formers bringing in their own laptops ever get off the ground.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts

@sreiach:

I would personally only use VLANs in a large corporate environment as my colleague webman has stated already why do you need VLANs for an educational environment it seems like a little overkill don't you think?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Here we go again

Although you say the separation of admin/curric is the winner for most people, the current poll result does not show this.

As you said, a lot of roles in a school require staff users to have access to data on both networks. Operating system file and share permissions are adequate enough to provide the required level of security in my opinion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Flat network with admin/curriculum split.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Vlan can reduce the back ground network noise. Try a packet sniffer and see the amount of stuff each network card is processing. Vlan and QoS are things we can do to improve network speed. A wireless Vlan would be the 1st place to start as it has the least bandwidth to spare.

Thank Post

Flat network, 1 domain, with 800 clients

I have been thinking about setting up VLANS but there is the disadvantage I know next to nothing about how to set them up, and would it really speed things up to any noticable degree?

I have to be honest I have noticed a lot of broadcast traffic from various devices when using Wireshark so maybe it would be worth it

Thank Post

Tim and I had reason to discuss this on Thursday. We seemed to recall that BECTA guidelines were 1 flat network (admin and ciricculum combined)

Does anyone know where I could find the BECTA document that discusses joining the ciricculum and admin networks together?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Well it allows for network broadcast data to be chopped up - this means when you ghostcast a bunch of machines, your entire network doesn't slow down - instead just the subnet you are on slows down.

Also, we run VOIP phones on our infrastructure - VLAN's allow for some guarentee of quality and reliability. Same goes for video conferencing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast