+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, dot1q Encapsulation Cisco 2610 - Supported? in Technical; I'm just having a fiddle with a test network at the moment and what i've got is very simple (at ...
    Thank Post

dot1q Encapsulation Cisco 2610 - Supported?

I'm just having a fiddle with a test network at the moment and what i've got is very simple (at least in my mind).

I have a 24-port switch, vlanned off so that one port is on vlan10 which is then in turn connected to my main network. the rest of the ports are on vlan20 which i'm using for a thin-client test network with LTSP.

There is one port i've got set on the switch with dot1q encapsulation as a trunk port for vlan10, 20 and 1 (the management vlan) which is then connected to a cisco 2610 router which i've setup with a sub-interface per-vlan. (ie 0/0.1 0/0.10 and 0/0.20.....you get the idea)

The idea was that i'd do inter-vlan routing using the sub-interfaces so that my thin-client network would be able to access the internet via my main network.

The problem is that the 2610 wont let me setup the encapsulation on the sub-interfaces.

Can anyone tell me whether this model actually supports encapsulation or whether i've got to use a different IOS please?

I'm currently using Version 12.2(10r)1 and the image name is c2600-i-mz.120-7.T.bin

I'm currently considering a 2600XM that i've seen on ebay with the Advanced Enterprise IOS on it which should handle this (and CME when i get round to that) but obviously don't want to spend the money uneccessarily.

Cheers!

Thank Post

Re: dot1q Encapsulation Cisco 2610 - Supported?

Here's the answer to your question;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800921e4.html

While not wishing to sound like a jerk, google is your friend - 99.9% of basic product compatibility questions can be answered with a quick search, particularly Cisco.

Thank Post

Re: dot1q Encapsulation Cisco 2610 - Supported?

I did google. And it bugs me as much as the next person when someone posts a question that could be solved by a simple googling. But when you're trying to sort something and getting more and more frustrated by the minute and you have sat there googling for 10 minutes with no definative answer you begin to realise that maybe it's time you posted somewhere where someone might be able to help you quickly...ie edugeek.

Whilst I had seen that table before and it /does/ seem to suggest that my router and the IOS version i have should support dot1q...it doesnt. There are no encapsulation commands where there should be if you hit the ? key for the list of possible commands. Also ANOTHER reason for my post.

It's now a moot point because I bit the bullet and bought an XM now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread