+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless setup for DirectAccess in Technical; I've got directaccess working for my windows 7 clients now I've got some options on how to set things up ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts

Wireless setup for DirectAccess

I've got directaccess working for my windows 7 clients now I've got some options on how to set things up for staff to connect their laptops to their home wifi network.

Option 1: They just add their own wifi network in to the settings, possible con is that wifi network may not be connected to at logon?

Option 2: Using a tp-link nano router, setup in client mode and add their home wireless network to it, nano router is then connected to laptop via network lead and powered by micro usb lead. This is powered up as soon as the laptop is turned on and by the time the login screen comes up the nano router will have a connection to the wireless network.

Option 3: Set the tp-link up with a corporate ssid and wpa2 key and push the same settings out to the DA laptops via group policy, all the member of staff has to then do is to plug this access point into a network socket on their home router and nothing needs to be setup. This same setup could also be used anywhere else that there is an Ethernet port to plug into.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Option 1 should generally work if you can add them to the network operators group and make sure it is added as a machine not per user wan, you may also need to make sure it is not using one of those bundled retarded wlan management apps some vendors like that can cause the connection to take longer. Would only go the other route if there was no other option.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Option 1 should generally work if you can add them to the network operators group and make sure it is added as a machine not per user wan
    No 3rd party tools on these laptops but it would presumably be setup as the user when logged on.

The tp-link nano routers are tiny though and was thinking it was basically set them up and forget them.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    No 3rd party tools on these laptops but it would presumably be setup as the user when logged on.

The tp-link nano routers are tiny though and was thinking it was basically set them up and forget them.

Ben
    Hence the network admins membership that should allow them to do it, it's just adding more gear can add more issues, like when they bin them because they try to use them at McDonald's and the don't work. Hell we have had teachers steal wlan cards out of the inside of laptops.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 8th September 2013 at 01:31 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread