+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless network SSID stopped working after certificate expired in Technical; I have a wireless network setup with multiple SSIDs for the past couple of years using a RADIUS server on ...

Thank Post

Question Wireless network SSID stopped working after certificate expired

I have a wireless network setup with multiple SSIDs for the past couple of years using a RADIUS server on two of the SSIDs that is on one of the DCs. My DCs are running Windows 2008 R2. Now I have checked the server for any event log saying that the RADIUS server has stopped working, but I have found nothing. The only thing I do know is that a certificate expired and it won't let me renew it. This happened the day before the two wireless SSIDs that authenticate via RADIUS stopped working. (it expired on a Sunday, and it wasn't working on Monday)

I'm not sure how to recreate the certificate as I have never created a certificate before. Our last technician created the last certificate a couple of years ago. I'm not even sure what kind of certificate I would need to create or what to put in it. Even if I did recreate the certificate, I think it needs to talk to the NPS server somehow (or the NPS server needs to know where it is somehow). I can't find anywhere in the NPS server where you tell it to look at X certificate to authenticate RADIUS clients. I'm not really sure why it didn't auto renew. I think it might not have been auto renewable.

In the mean time I have created a new SSID and have it setup using normal WPA2 encryption with a shared key. I then have the server push this SSID out via Group Policy (using a logon script) to our computers for a temporary fix so that the PCs at least have a connection.

Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about and might be able to help me renew my certificates and get my two SSIDs authenticating again?

Thank Post
    Which certificate expired? There are two, one NPS gives to clients during authentication, and if using EAP-TLS, one that the client gives to NPS during authentication.

The NPS server will need a valid cert first, it doesn't give an expired one to clients.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread