Poll: Who does PAT in your school

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Portable Appliance Testing Who Does it where u r? Survay in Technical; Hi - Just doing abit of a survay to find out how other school cope with the legal responsibility of ...

Thank Post

Portable Appliance Testing Who Does it where u r? Survay

Hi -

Just doing abit of a survay to find out how other school cope with the legal responsibility of PAT.

Wondering if you could help me by telling me who does PAT in your school?

How does your school manage the responsibility?

Also please can you let me how large your school is. Aprox how many appliances etc.

Thank you.

Thank Post

Re: Portable Appliance Testing Who Does it ?

Science Tech does it here, he's actually full time so has not much else to do during the summer.
    Sorry no idea how many appliances, I stay well clear as I know he hates it and has been trying to palm it off on my team for years.

Thank Post

I do it at my school (IT Tech) it was part of the deal so I could be full time.

Although, the science tech does science and the DT tech does all D & T (Food etc) and I do the rest of the school, I've no idea how many appliances, but it includes kettles, hoovers, floor polishing machines, TV, Videos, DVD Players, OHP.

On the HSE website it says, you class a portable appliance as anything under 18 Kilos that you have to move to use (hoover etc). Things like IT equipment, I am doing on a three year rolling program, because it doesn't move to be used. ANy new equipment that gets bought in gets PAT tested before it goes onto site.

Our school has 850 kids on roll, so its not that big a place.

Thank Post

PAT testers from the LEA are currently on site now and have been all last week also. They are here for 7 days and last year they did 2700 tests. Not sure how many they have done up to now here, but a lot of the new ICT equipment which we bought will not be tested so the figure may be less then last year.

The teams consists of 5 men and they aim to do a minimum of 70ish tests each per day.

Thank Post

It used to be the LEA that came and did our stuff, but our SBM had a good (sacasticly said) idea to send the site manager on the PAT course.

I'm still waiting for the appliances to be tested this year, nothings been done yet, the stickers on the sides of appliances say they must be tested before the end of August 2007.

Bit late here then.

Does anyone know what action I should be taking, who I should be airing my concerns with? I've spoken to the SBM (my line manager) but nothing has happened and that was 2 weeks ago.

Thank Post

Science Tech does Science, I do the IT, Site Supervisor does everything else. Triggmeister makes a good point about whether PCs are strictly-speaking portable devices anyway - if you need to move it, it's portable; if you need to go near the power supply, it should be tested, but of course neither of these statements apply to PCs.

If it is your job to do these, it would be worth getting yourself on a course and finding out how little you actually need to do! A "visual check" after 3 years is all you're legally obliged to do on PCs, and new items are deemed to have passed already. I'm not suggesting that we all just run on the legal minimum (and would hate to use that as a defence if someone got electrocuted), but it is worth knowing...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,472 Posts

Ours is out sourced to a firm by the LEA.

However anything new coming in over the course of the year after they have been in still gets tested normally by the site manager or me if I'm bored.

Ben

Thank Post

Re: Portable Appliance Testing Who Does it where u r? Survay

Ours is done by an external company.

They failed nearly every PC on Visual Inspection because there was damage to the fronts, was covered in a topic ages ago.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r
    PAT testers from the LEA are currently on site now and have been all last week also. They are here for 7 days and last year they did 2700 tests. Not sure how many they have done up to now here, but a lot of the new ICT equipment which we bought will not be tested so the figure may be less then last year.

The teams consists of 5 men and they aim to do a minimum of 70ish tests each per day.
    Thank you for all your responses

Out of interest do all the appliances get brought to a central location by the school, before testing or do the LEA testers have to get all the kit out of the cuboards etc?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Our Senior Science Tech does everything in the school - a herculean task cosidering how much kit there is - about 2000+ appliances. I just hope she's paid decently for doing it all! It's done on a rolling program during the holidays.

She has to go digging around in all the nooks and crannies for the bits and bobs although we try and make sure all the IT stuff is readily available and accessable. Staff & laptops are the biggest headache - forgetting to bring them in or getting upset because the power supply has been failed and taken off them because the sellotape holding it together after they broke it or cut through the cable by trapping it isn't very safe!

Thank Post

We have an IT Technician to do ours. He has also designed his own database as simply pats is rubbish

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by timbo343
    We have an IT Technician to do ours. He has also designed his own database as simply pats is rubbish
    Hi timbo343,
    How many applicances does your school have aprox? Does your ICT Technicain do all the schools PAT? How many Hours does it take him per week?

Thanks

Noah

Thank Post

We have loads!! approx 450 machines, and then all the power leads, and monitors. Plus all the printers and extension leads, servers, switchs, APs. But then we have another PAT guy on site who deals with things like portable heaters.

He just does it when things need doing. Its part of his job describtion.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by noah
    Thank you for all your responses

Out of interest do all the appliances get brought to a central location by the school, before testing or do the LEA testers have to get all the kit out of the cuboards etc?
    The LEA team go into the classrooms one by one to test all equipment - it is up the head of department to arrange with their staff in their department to get the equipment out of cupboards etc for it to be tested.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I looked into this. Sussed out a course and the kit and was about to enrol for the course and buy the kit. However, when the Admin people checked with the LEA the answer came back that they weren't happy - an insurance issue!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast