Poll: Who does PAT in your school

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Portable Appliance Testing Who Does it where u r? Survay in Technical; Our site manager does all our testing - it takes him a couple of weeks, and he is planning to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Portable Appliance Testing Who Does it where u r? Survay

Our site manager does all our testing - it takes him a couple of weeks, and he is planning to do it after half term this year.

IT wise, we don't have that much to check, as nearly all IT equipment is under 5 years old anyway - so visual checks are fine.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky
    I looked into this. Sussed out a course and the kit and was about to enrol for the course and buy the kit. However, when the Admin people checked with the LEA the answer came back that they weren't happy - an insurance issue!
    An insurance issue? Has anybody else had this problem?

Again thanks for your replies.

richard

I got made to go on a course a few years ago but when I moved schools I conviently lost my certificate Where I am now they have someone come in over the summer break.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Our site manager does all our testing - it takes him a couple of weeks, and he is planning to do it after half term this year.

IT wise, we don't have that much to check, as nearly all IT equipment is under 5 years old anyway - so visual checks are fine.
    Does that mean any piece of IT equipment does not need to be PAT tested if it is less than 5 years old ? Or is it up to each indivdual organisation to decide what they want PAT tested.

As for the job of PAT testing itself - it must get very boring very quickly.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by torledo
    Does that mean any piece of IT equipment does not need to be PAT tested if it is less than 5 years old ? Or is it up to each indivdual organisation to decide what they want PAT tested.
    That is the law, but apply common sense to that (something which obviously can't be legally defined!). If the item is a something which is rarely never unplugged or moved (PCs, big printers, etc), then a quick visual check will suffice; if it is a laptop or camera which is constantly being plugged in and out, moved around, bashed about and so on, then check it more frequently and carefully.

Thank Post

PAT Testing is a complete load of sh***.

Why?

Try find some information on it. Actual, solid, documented information.

Seems to me if this is a legally binding set of required parameters there should be free, downloadable content online provided by the government.

The closest you get are some PAT websites with vague descriptions, especially when it comes to the 'Visual Inspection'.

Anyway, hometime so am not looking here til Monday

Thank Post

Computer equipment in offices does need a formal visual inspection every two to four years. If it's not double insulated, it needs to be PAT tested every five years - however, none of my kit lasts that long so no - it doesn't need to be tested and isn't. This does only apply to office environments but I find that generally covers most areas of the school. The key is whether the equipment/cables are moved very often.... if they are then you would inspect/test more regularly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Netman
    Computer equipment in offices does need a formal visual inspection every two to four years. If it's not double insulated, it needs to be PAT tested every five years - however, none of my kit lasts that long so no - it doesn't need to be tested and isn't. This does only apply to office environments but I find that generally covers most areas of the school. The key is whether the equipment/cables are moved very often.... if they are then you would inspect/test more regularly.
    Unfortunately authorities tend to insist on annual checks as part of their H&S policy. Thus spending more money unnecessarily. Not like them is it ?

Thank Post

Every website I've ever looked on about PAT says visual every year and electrical test every 2.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Netman
    Unfortunately authorities tend to insist on annual checks as part of their H&S policy. Thus spending more money unnecessarily. Not like them is it ?
    Our authority says to only do visual checks every couple of years...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dredging back through my notes from the course ...

All new equipment passes electrical safety checks in the UK or for resale in the UK. This means that a visual inspection on installation is all that is required and an appliance test in the third year.

The reason most LAs and schools test sooner is due to power cables being reused between appliances (are you *sure* that the power lead on computer x is the one purchased with it?) and physical damage to casings, partly due to some equipment being moved a lot, partly due to the environment they are in (lots of users banging them to get them to work faster / better) and partly for H&S protection.

Majority of equipment will suffice with a visual inspection and a test across the power lead, no circuited electrical equipment (TVs, VCRs, computers, monitors) should be flash tested anymore. Failure of power packs / adaptors should be reported to the manufacturer if within the 3 year period as this may be a fault.

-----------------

I think that covers most things.

We have a company come in and do it here ... I don't like the way it is done by them as they have failed things on visual checks that are perfectly safe (cracked plastic facia on a computer allowing you to touch the metal case ... the same case you can touch 3 inches further back!) and they have passes some very dodgy leads.

We have looked at it being done in house and it probably will be next year ... our asset register can now log PAT dates and results ... done by a combination of us, the site supervisors and the science techs ...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12