+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Ruckus Self Install in Technical; Hi folks, Has anyone self installed Ruckus? We'd be looking to self install a controller and 25 APs, but just ...
    Thank Post

Question Ruckus Self Install

Hi folks,

Has anyone self installed Ruckus?

We'd be looking to self install a controller and 25 APs, but just checking what the reality of that is, or whether it needs a "partner".

TIA

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    It's plug and play really to get the basics up and running so if you are confident with the config of things like the SSIDs, security settings, RADIUS, SNMP etc... (and if using them) then go for it. I've fitted my own each time without any issues. You can get a cool fitting kit for the APs which are great cost a few but well worth it compared to using the holes on the back of the APs and work well and have a template in the box

3. Thanks to john from:

Gongalong (3rd July 2013)

Thank Post
    I did a Ruckus install. Controller and 10 APs as @john says it was a case of plugging in the controller and setting it up then connect the APs. Job done. I'll add though that all cabling was already in place, as were switches and PoE midspan (if using PoE).

5. Thanks to bladedanny from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I had assistance with the first-time setup on the controller to save time, but I'm pretty sure I could have done it without. I also put up all the APs myself, though we did all our own cabling and hardware installs in my last school so I've had plenty of experience doing it.

7. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Thank Post
    Basic Ruckus install takes about 10 minutes. I'll do it for you. For half what the "partner" charges...

9. Thanks to pantscat from:

Thank Post
    Thanks all. I've got this old view that the more complex wireless setups are done with a partner, but having thought about it a bit more we have all the cabling and locations ready to go (we have a piecemeal setup at the moment of independent WAPs) therefore it's more a case of swapping out kit, followed by controller setup.

I know nothing about Radius, but have a fairly good knowledge of router and WAP setup. I don't know if we would go to the lengths of Radius, but at least have dual SSID WPA. The purpose of the dual SSID would be to add a visitor network, so some thought there would be required perhaps in terms of VLANs to keep away from school traffic.

I'm guessing that Ruckus WAPs need PoE, or can they operate via a power adapter? (or failing that PoE injection, as we don't have capable switches)

Thank Post
    Having VLANs to separate the traffic would be sensible - and Ruckus has a really nice "guest pass" facility that allows you to set how long guest access is valid for each individual device or user.

The WAPs don't come with power adapters but they're available as an optional extra. PoE injectors would work fine too...

Radius can be a little bit daunting if you've never implemented it before, but in reality (in my opinion) with a Windows network is very easy to implement. The best thing is that you can setup various SSIDs with Ruckus and so mess around with Radius without affecting anyone.

12. Thanks to pantscat from:

Thank Post
    We installed our own (including the wiring) and it was straight forward. I'm sure you'll be fine. You'll need to buy the equipment with support, so there is always someone you can phone if you get stuck configuring the controller.

14. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

Thank Post
    I did ours. Piece of cake. Really, it really was a piece of cake. Get it planned first, your IP addresses etc. Walk in the park. Can't think of any others.
    Last edited by catch21; 3rd July 2013 at 05:08 PM.

Thank Post
    According to Ruckus you need to make sure that if your ruckus network is sitting on a VLAN and your SSIDs on different VLANs, then your switch ports are tagged and trunked.

I'm in the process of doing this but can't figure out why our APs can't talk to the DHCP server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ass17 View Post
    According to Ruckus you need to make sure that if your ruckus network is sitting on a VLAN and your SSIDs on different VLANs, then your switch ports are tagged and trunked.

I'm in the process of doing this but can't figure out why our APs can't talk to the DHCP server.
    Depends on what you mean for tagged/trunked.

In ProCurve speak:
    Untagged for the VLAN you wan't the AP management in
    Tagged for the VLANs you use for the relevant SSIDs available on that AP.

I assume you don't mean trunked as in link aggregation, the controller and APs have 2 port switches IIRC, not two individual ports. (The second on the controller is really only for plugging APs in as a PoE port to download the fw/config if needed before putting them up).

Thank Post
    Ruckus say you have to trunk each individual port as a trunk so the APs can carry multiple tagged VLANs, or something like that.

Can I achieve this on a HP switch network without trunking a port.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ass17 View Post
    Ruckus say you have to trunk each individual port as a trunk so the APs can carry multiple tagged VLANs, or something like that.

Can I achieve this on a HP switch network without trunking a port.
    Yes,

Trunking on HP (not sure if it's the same on the Comware ones) is *always* link aggregation. "Trunking" on Cisco and others allows specified VLANs to be available to that port. Is is just the same word with different meaning depending on manufacturer.

You do not do this with Procurve, instead ports are set to "tagged" on each of the vlans they wish to be available. Procurves carry multiple tagged vlans, simply by tagging one or more. Set the port to untagged in the VLAN the AP should communicate to the controller on.

Thank Post
    So in summary,
    controller sits on vlan 80 untagged, tagged 81-87 for SSIDs.
    APs untagged 80, tagged 81-87 for its SSIDs.

Do I need to setup the access vlan on each controller for the ipv4 address to 80 also, or is 1 ok?

Do I also need to change the access vlan 1 for the management IP to 80?

Do I need to set the AP policies to vlan 80 or keep it set to "AP settings"?

Thank Post
    Ive done a self install of ruckus but had a bit of training on best practice when we bought it. Did my own survey too and its simple, like many others the APs are plug and play, just edit the main policy on controller for the access points to make sure there are locked down. I was worried about the setup if the vlans but soon got my head around it. Ive got HP switches and everything just works. What will you be using to give out the DHCP addresses? You may have to include the command ip helper on the switches. If you have a smoothwall you can get that to do most of it for you without the need of the ip helper command. Its all good fun .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast