+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Intermittent Network in Technical; I'm a little confused as to this 192.168.0.1 device as its basically telling another device it's DHCP address is either ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

Re: Intermittent Network

I'm a little confused as to this 192.168.0.1 device as its basically telling another device it's DHCP address is either wrong or its moved to another subnet and with you stating your DHCP server is 172.16.0.1 ..... well....

Thank Post

Turned off the router in the staff room with no change in ping resposnes to the effected routers. The strange thing is that users logins are not being slowed down to the same level they were yesterday.

I am fairly sure that there is some problem somewhere with the link between my office cab and the one containing the effected router. There are excessive communication errors being logged in the routers consoles passing down the chain of connected ports 25 & 26, but it is only the 3rd router in the cab which has the intermittant communication issues.

The switches are quite well spaced and ventilated so I don't think we have an overheating issue. I may trying rewiring the cab round as the 4th switch doesn't seem to have any active connections and so I can move all of switch 3 cables into it to see what happens.

Thank Post

Okay quick breif update, i'll look in more depth but you dont have a problem like mine, with the network card.

The very little black is due to your card attempting to do checksum offloading, where the packet is captured before it recieves its correct checksum and so shows up invalid.

You dont have to worry about this at all..

Thank Post

Seems fine, abit of a noisey environment.

could you capture a couple more minutes, and when you do could you type in your terminal ping 'problem switch ip address' -t -l 1200

192.168.0.1 is setup as a DHCP server, you should disable that if its not ment to be.

You can see this as when your clients ask if their ip address is current and okay, it replys saying that the lease has expired / didnt exsist / is wrong (NAK)

It looks like your clients arnt paying any attention to its NAK's as they dont then ask for a new IP address. But you should still disable DHCP on it unless you have a reason to leave it on.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mcowley
    Turned off the router in the staff room with no change in ping resposnes to the effected routers. The strange thing is that users logins are not being slowed down to the same level they were yesterday.

I am fairly sure that there is some problem somewhere with the link between my office cab and the one containing the effected router. There are excessive communication errors being logged in the routers consoles passing down the chain of connected ports 25 & 26, but it is only the 3rd router in the cab which has the intermittant communication issues.

The switches are quite well spaced and ventilated so I don't think we have an overheating issue. I may trying rewiring the cab round as the 4th switch doesn't seem to have any active connections and so I can move all of switch 3 cables into it to see what happens.
    I'm sorry but I find it really hard to visualize all or part of a network without a schematic drawing or diagram of some sort, Switch A connected to Switch B connected to Router Z doesn't really help me to understand your network layout - at first I assumed you've got a problem with a switch stack and now you're mentioning a router issue ?

As you know the first step in diagnosing any problem is looking at the layer 1 layout for this section of the network and how it connects to your core.

Some possible cause;

If you're Procurves are connected in a stack it could be a defective switch.

As somone has suggested it could be an STP loop possibly caused by a defective link(s). Or the stack interswitch links

Could be a broadcast storm - try and isolate the culprit device/devices or link(s) that are causing the problem.

Putting a packet trace on the wire isn't a bad idea but normally you can determine switching issues from the messages spewing from your switches - check and double check your physical links (copper and fibre) and your switch config files drilling down port by port. Google the notificatin messages coming from your Procurves.

Check any Etherchannel or trunk links you've got setup are working correctly. You may not have changed the config on your switches, but if you've had a power cut or someone has manhandled your uplink cabling then something beyond your control has been altered. Finally be methodical about checking the hosts connected to the suspect switches.

Thank Post

Thanks again guys for all the continued suggestions.

Sorry about the lack of a network diagram. There hasn't been one in school and it wasn't until quite recently that I got to understand this side of the system (I am mostly here for software support & web dev).

Regarding the issues of the staff room router, this was not the problem. Disconnected it completely to see the same ping responses.

I am fairly sure I have narrowed it down to a single switch as when I bypass this piece of hardware all network responses return to normal. I think it is now a case of going through the ports one by one to see whether it is a hardware issue or an item attached to one of the ports.

I am still in the process of trying to trace the other machine attempting to be DHCP.

Thank Post

could a rogue machine have Windows Internet Sharing turned on?

Thank Post

You can see from the capture its not a broadcast storm or a loopback.
    plus loopbacks are easy to spot as your activity lights will flash like mad with no pause

If i was you Id replace the suspect with a known good switch and test for a few days. If you still have problems, dont be lazy and REMOVE the cables form the ports, disabling them may still allow an electronic defect to disrupt your network (like when i had that bad network card)

to test just put ping "Ip" -t
    and leave it running, at the end of the day press ctrl + C and it will give you the summary.
    look for amount of lossed packets, even a 2% loss is bad enough, anything higher is terrible!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12