+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, WLAN suggestions in Technical; I have a BlueSocket system and it works fine... it is a PITA as an end user if your computer ...

Thank Post

Re: WLAN suggestions

I have a BlueSocket system and it works fine... it is a PITA as an end user if your computer isn't part of a system that allows for transparent authentication but in a domain environment it is fine.

I believe that the pricing has increased a bit since I purchased mine but IMHO the model is better than that of others because there is no concept of client licenses or separate modules for this that and the other.

IIRC the 3COM gear is/was Aruba hardware rebadged (the reason that I didn't go for it). 3COM are not going bust but have been bought by some investment company to become a private company rather than a public one... they sent me a lovely email for some reason :?

Thank Post

jumping in a bit late here but anyway. we are looking at implementing a managed wlan solution using hp procurve gear. the bit that gets me concerned is the config of the laptops. we'll have about half that are school owned so we can control the setup. but the other half will be student/staff personal laptops. how's the best way to manage the wlan settings on the laptops, i can see us setting it up, the user going home to their wlan and then the next day us having to reset their settings at school again. is there software that people recommend to do this?

thanks.

Thank Post

You simply let them find your ssid and allow them to attach using the authentication method of your chosen managed system just as they have always done prior to the managed wifi.

The management system will simply let you choose if you let them on or not!

Thank Post

ok so the hp procurve management software should provide the authentication for the clients also? sorry for my ignorance we've only just starting to investigate the rollout of wlan across the campus and i want to sort out each stage of the project so we don't end up with nasty surprises. i thought we may need third party software on the client laptops that we would use to setup and manage the laptops wlan settings.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12