+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Netgear as a Wireless Solution? in Technical; Hey there! I am going through an evaluation of Wireless solutions at a primary school at the moment. Teachers want ...

Thank Post

Thumbs up Netgear as a Wireless Solution?

Hey there!

I am going through an evaluation of Wireless solutions at a primary school at the moment. Teachers want tablets and we have more BYOD's coming in. Although the requirements on the wireless are not massive at the moment, this is only going to increase and i figure prepare for the future.

Anyway, have had RM banging on about Meru, have had a Netgear Survey and looking at their kit, and currently have some Meraki AP's and a POE switch just delivered by UPS on an 2 week eval. The demo i received on Meraki was pretty awesome but, have realised, so are the prices.

I am veering toward Netgear due to previous Netgear experience, (been very happy with switches, NAS, etc)

I have a quote for WC7520 bundle with 6x WNDAP360, 8 more WNDAP360's and 2x ProSafe 8 port POE switches, coming in at just over 4k. However, has anyone had any experience with a Netgear set-up similar to this? Would be great to get some insight. Although Wireless is not 'mission critical' as i call it. Heck, i can always get a bag of gigabit USB to ethernet adapters so have workarounds and Netgear have always been excellent at swapping out kit in 24 hours. Also, with the help of LogMeIn, i can always access any issues remotely if need be.

Anyway, answers on a postcard!! Many, many thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    If you have a search on here you will see a number of threads discussing wireless and mentioning Netgear and the general view was steer clear of it and look at one of the many other solutions on the market.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    I would say avoid the Netgear managed wireless kit at all costs...

Thank Post
    Eh? 14 netgear access points and 2 switches 4k? Someone's next Mercedes Benz payment is due, hope you don't mind paying it?

This isn't a technical issue, it's all in the mind at this point. For you, this is going to depend how much bottle you've got, and how far out of your comfort zone you're therefore prepared to go.

Thank Post
    we used to fit netgear wifi kit and it caused nothing but problems. steer clear it was last time i used it poor

Thank Post
    What I've been reading about wireless solution in this forum so far, it's quite rare that someone would recommend any Netgear kits.

Thank Post
    - (current) Netgear Wifi solution == no go (almost no software support)
    - Netgear switches == no go (the same as above: almost no software support, although not as bad as for their wifi products)
    - Netgear NAS solution == yes, as those ones get nice software support.
    Last edited by snoerre; 16th June 2013 at 12:17 PM.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Netgear for business wireless? You'd get better performance by writing a string of binary on the side of one of their access points with a marker pen and throwing it at the person you're trying to communicate with than you will from plugging them in.
    Last edited by Roberto; 16th June 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Personal experience, don't use Netgear, we've just ripped it out of our place to be replaced with Ruckus.

Nothing but problems

Thank Post
    Another one here for stay away from Netgear, you really do get what you pay for we're Meraki throughout and it is fantastic.
    Used Meru and Rucas before too which are also very good

Thank Post
    I was in a school the other week who are looking to pull out the Netgear system they have and potentially install Aruba kit which I have used at my past place, good kit, not sure on the config side compared to the Meru but both good.

Thank Post
    +1 for avoiding netgear kit especially the managed wireless. Over expensive and rubbish to say the least. Constant dropouts on laptops is what I have experienced, nothing but complaints from staff as you can imagine.
    You've been warned.

Thank Post
    Looking at replacing our netgear wfs709tp wireless setup here, has worked ok, but isn't great and trying to get support is difficult. Also be wary of the POE switches, I bought an 8 port one and only 4 ports are POE, the 16 port has 8 ports POE, but you can't use all the POE ports with WGL102's as they draw too much power for what they provide. I get 3 ap's on an 8 port switch and 6 ap's on the 16 port version.

Thank Post
    I have netgear in my school and its ok. Its a basic system running WNDAP350 and WNDAP360s (which are a lot better). I got the deal where you get the controller and 2 WNDAP350's for about 500. We don't really use it in anger though, none of its mission critical and I wont be getting it again. Was it a mistake? I was on a very tight budget and they are cheap. The Netgear forum is full of complaints but aren't most of them????

PS. I bought netgear as we have netgear switches.....and they are cheap but you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by Simcfc73; 19th June 2013 at 07:48 PM.

15. Thanks to Simcfc73 from:

Rackenford (12th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Simcfc73 - I agree with most forum you get are full of complaints, and you tend to get more complaints than praise in forums. I suppose I should have also mentioned in my post above that budget do play heavily in decision making. We'd all love to have best of breed solutions just like I'm sure we would love a Ferrari and million pound property however we have to contend with budgets being constricted year on year. I honestly feel no solution is without fault and has its place in the market. For the money and features provided. Some of it comes down to a nicety and necessity list and marry that with your available budget. Netgear have proven to be a very, very viable option.

17. Thanks to Ejohnson from:

Rackenford (12th November 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast