+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Netgear as a Wireless Solution? in Technical; Originally Posted by Ejohnson budget do play heavily in decision making. I would suggest that it costs less to fit ...

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ejohnson View Post
    budget do play heavily in decision making.
    I would suggest that it costs less to fit a suitable solution in the first place than it does to fit the wrong solution because it was cheaper, spend a considerable amount of time discovering that it's never going to come up to standard, removing it and then fitting the suitable solution.

Thank Post
    I can concur that comment however again it depends on the requirement. I would not assume that one solution will suit all so that would need to be determined. In the IT mass market, I'd be very doubtful there are any products/solutions that have not had both negative and possitive responses and would refer you to my previous post. It not just budget, its also solutioning the right product at the right price and ensuring the customer is complete sure of the solution being provided. Also ensure it is installed and configured correctly. I assume you have been (over)sold a solution before which resulted in a negative experience?

Thank Post
    We had Ruckus and it was very good. funds are always tight and I had to fight to get Ruckus and its a dream to use.

Due to the cost of it though I could only get 2 access points, which wasn't that bad as it was for around 40 laptops in just one block and worked a charm.

For the rest of the school I have some netgear APs that serve just to connect staff laptops in specific locations e.g. staff room, departments who buy the AP etc.

The negative point to all this is that Ruckus APs are licensed to the controller and if you exceed the AP to controller count then you have to pay a bigger licence fee.
    You also need a yearly support contract to get access to the upgrades, updates and support.

When I quoted and presented all this information to management and they made the decision, using my advice where required.

3 -4 years on the netgears are still working, the ruckus AP's bombed out a while ago and now will not connect to the controller. Management decided to not follow on the support contract for ruckus after the first year and the staff scuppered the laptops due to insufficient supervision and eventually damage claimed the life of many.

Everything was laid out in my original guidance to management and experience proved all too true once again.

It was an expensive lesson, just make sure you provide as much info as you can and let them decide and take the responsibility for it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    3 -4 years on the netgears are still working, the ruckus AP's bombed out a while ago and now will not connect to the controller. Management decided to not follow on the support contract for ruckus after the first year and the staff scuppered the laptops due to insufficient supervision and eventually damage claimed the life of many.
    If there is a hardware fault with the ruckus then I guess the (limited) lifetime warranty will be quite handy. Most things are still covered.

Thank Post
    aerohive here. very happy. you get what you pay for.

azc

Thank Post
    We put in four NetGear ProSafe WFS709TP controllers with around 80 APs in the summer of 2011. We replaced the whole thing in the summer of 2012 with Meraki.

I still have the controllers, if you want them, for free. Might even be able to find a couple of the APs still around, although most of them have gone to the scrappy already.

Thank Post
    Do plenty of research before spending the cash. Ive spent nearly 3 months looking at wireless solutions and have just bought Ruckus kit. Wireless really is 'you get what you pay for', we had Netgear WG102s and they were OK for 10 laptops but for managed stuff Meraki, Aerohive and Ruckus all produce decent kit.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the info. I seem to be finding that a lot of the complaints are more on legacy products and my budget is limited. Have had a live Meraki demo and have some hardware to eval straight from them. However, the cost left me needing defibrillation. Ah, to have a budget to accommodate!!
    Will look at Some of the other ideas thrown in here. Thanks to you all for your contributions.
    I have to say i went to another school last week and saw their Netgear set-up (WC7520 and WNDAP360) and they were doing fine. Hmmm, what a dilemma!

Thank Post
    If its price you are concerned about, we have many schools in our county with Aruba Wireless Systems in place.

Once its in you are done, unlike Maraki which I believe you need to subscribe to, also unsure what happens if your internet dies with a cloud controller, does the wireless die as well?

Aruba running on a healthy 300mb/s throughout the schools, Lifetime warranty, Aruba support fantastic. Might come in around the netgear price, but it's some amazing stuff. I can't say too much on the BYOD Setup on it though, haven't had much experience in setting that up with it. There was a company in our county (gone private now), that procured wireless every year, comparing it to all the major brands and Aruba won hands down in most categories for the last 2 years.

That's my experience.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ejohnson View Post
    It not just budget, its also solutioning the right product at the right price and ensuring the customer is complete sure of the solution being provided.
    "solutioning"?

Gotta be a Netgear salesman.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DEvans View Post
    If its price you are concerned about, we have many schools in our county with Aruba Wireless Systems in place.

Once its in you are done, unlike Maraki which I believe you need to subscribe to, also unsure what happens if your internet dies with a cloud controller, does the wireless die as well?
    No your wireless still works depending on how you have it configured. Its not a subscription but a license and it tends to work out cheaper than a support renewal on other systems plus no controller costs depends on setup though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    No your wireless still works depending on how you have it configured. Its not a subscription but a license and it tends to work out cheaper than a support renewal on other systems plus no controller costs depends on setup though
    if its anything like aerohive, it works fine with no connection to the cloud, it just means you can't make any new configuration changes to it.

Thank Post
    If money is that low why donīt you buy Ubiquiti (UniFi | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc.), put your clients in extra VLANs, set ACLs,...

Thank Post
    Going Meraki here. 34 APs, 4 PEO switches. Sign up for a webinar and get a free AP! Sign up for Dashboard account and use that Trial kit! I was impressed with support and cooperation. And turned out midway between Meru and Extricom (lowest) pricing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12