+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Backup Device No Longer Found? in Technical; Help! We had a weird UPS failure last week, which sent the server and the UPS down, and the external ...
    Thank Post

Backup Device No Longer Found?

Help! We had a weird UPS failure last week, which sent the server and the UPS down, and the external backup tape drive. I got the UPS going again and rebooted the server, and the lights on the backup drive are fine. I can manually eject and insert tapes, but Backup Exec was reporting the device as Offline. I can check the box in Backup Exec to make the device Online, but that doesn't seem to do a lot. When I try and run any job, the job fails and it reports that it can't find any physical volume library. I have tried stopping and restarting the Backup Exec services, as suggested in the Help for Backup Exec. Backup Exec reports the starting and stopping. I have also turned the device itself off and on again. But still no success when I try to run a job.

Am I doing things in the wrong order???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Backup Device No Longer Found?

I had this problem also recently. Mine was resolved by a server reboot and then the BU device was picked up. The problem on the prior boot being the BU device was not switched on so it hadn't been picked up and turning the power on after the first reboot hadn't allowed the server to see it. Hope this helps.

Thank Post

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I tried rebooting the server yesterday lunchtime, with the backup device switched on ready, and it is still not being found.

I have managed to go through the job log for the job I tried to run and which failed. There is an error code there which links to the Symantec website. I now have an 18 page document to go through to troubleshoot the problem!! To be fair, I can discount the first few pages, as they deal with incompatibility issues and incorrect drivers, and I know the device was working fine up until the power shutdown.

Will try and post solution if I get this fixed! In the meantime, I also need to find an alternative backup procedure for the interim period...

Thank Post

Try a full shutdown (Not a restart) then manually power the server back on.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    Try a full shutdown (Not a restart) then manually power the server back on.
    Tried that on Monday, worked through various suggestions on 18 page Symantec troubleshooting doc, then tried it again on Wednesday. Device still offline and refusing to be found.

Last thing on Symantec list is to delete the SCSIChanger key from the registry. Then power down and up again. Getting desperate...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I expect you have already tried this but just a thought if your device is a Dell my experience of them is if you ask the server team for assistance they invariable come up with the goods. They certainly did for me and that was a product out of guarantee even.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andie
    ... again and rebooted the server, and the lights on the backup drive are fine. I can manually eject and insert tapes, but Backup Exec was reporting the device as Offline. I can check the box in Backup Exec to make the device Online, but that doesn't seem to do a lot. When I try and run any job, the job fails and it reports that it can't find any physical volume library. ...
    I had exactly this problem a while ago. I ended up re-installing Symantec Backup Exec 10d. Backup now runs again without issue.

Thank Post

Have you tried applying the latest service packs for BackupExec

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP
    I had exactly this problem a while ago. I ended up re-installing Symantec Backup Exec 10d. Backup now runs again without issue.
    Thanks. I think the solution on the Symantec list, to remove the SCSIChanger key and then run a repair of the software through Add/Remove Programs may have the same effect (I hope so anyway!). If not, I may have to beg for some help with the re-install!!

Thank Post

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Aggghhhh!!!!

I am following Symantec kb article 255501 from

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/255501.htm

which is where my error message took me. After trying the various listed methods of getting the device back up and running, I am left with the last one on the list which asks you to stop BE services, delete the SCSIChanger key, shutdown the server, shutdown the tape drive, start the tape drive, start the server, go to Add/Remove Programs, click on BE and choose Change, then Repair.

Fortunately, I did export the SCSIChanger key from both places before I deleted them.

But Repair has failed, as the Install program can't find VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers.msi! Neither can I! And I don't seem to have the media either!!! I have the licence certificate and the delivery notice/purchase details, and it's obviously installed. But I can't think what my next step is now...???????

Other than speed up finding a new job....

Help! Anyone!!!!

Thank Post

After trawling the Symantec website, and coming across numerous postings on their support forums pleading for help that never seems to come, I finally found a number for non-technical issues/licensing issues. Rang this to explain about having license but no media. Seems I should have registered the licence online to get my copy of the media. Anyway, the very polite gentleman has created a support case for me and someone from Symantec is going to contact me within 48 hours....

Thank Post

:P

I have the program files!!

I rang Symantec back yesterday afternoon, as I still hadn't heard from them. They don't supply CD versions of 10d anymore, but they could provide a serial number to me that would validate a download of the product from their fileconnect website. After a few issues with the LEA proxy, I managed to download the whole zip file in about an hour. The unzipped files include the required msi for repairing the program on the server. I have even copied it onto one of the PC hard drives in case disaster strikes over the weekend.

Now I just have to hope that either the final stage of the Symantec troubleshooter or a complete uninstall/reinstall will get Backup Exec to recognise the drive.

And I did have a further thought. Maybe the backup drive became faulty and that was what shut down the UPS/server...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

what make of scsi tape drive is it?

If it is hp then delete from devices and reboot, i had this problem although we don't use backup exec then i updated to the latest firmware and everything has gone fine since.

don't know if this is your problem but it may help.

Thank Post

The tape drive is a Quantum DLT-V4, and as of Wednesday, normal service has been resumed.

The problem was at a more basic level than I had thought. During the unexpected server/UPS shutdown, the tape drive somehow disappeared from device manager. Should have checked that first, but... The drive appeared to be functioning OK, but wasn't sure if the SCSI card (probably not the right term for it!) had malfunctioned. Anyway, I googled "not in device manager" and came up with some postings from other forums about manual scanning for hardware changes. Thought I'd give it a try (open device manager, Action menu, Scan for Hardware Changes) and it worked!

However, backup exec still not connecting to drive. So tried the software repair, but that failed again despite me now having the media. Getting a "Error 1327: Invalid Drive S:\" and install fails.

However, in the process of backtracking, I followed another instruction to use BEUtility (part of Backup Exec) to stop and then start Backup Exec services. This time when I did this, the tape drive made a noise. So I ran a test job and it worked. Backing up to schedule again. So far so good.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread