+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, WIFI.. Meru or Meraki. in Technical; I take it all those who say "use a cloud controller, don't a hardware solution cos it will fail" have ...

Thank Post
    I take it all those who say "use a cloud controller, don't a hardware solution cos it will fail" have a redundant internet connection?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftysw1 View Post
    Hi, Where can we trial 'UniFi' units.. or even buy one?
    Don't know about a trial but I bought a single unit from 4Gon for our trial.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    I take it all those who say "use a cloud controller, don't a hardware solution cos it will fail" have a redundant internet connection?
    Meraki will continue to work fine if t'internet goes down. Usage stats and all that data just queues locally on the AP until the connection is back.

Thank Post
    I have 1 Meraki AP (that I got for free) The cloud controller is ace! example: you are on a page and you'd like a different feature. There is a box on the page where you can put a suggestion! And the help desk is similar as well. The radio performance is good HOWEVER it is abysmal with interference. At home when I trailed it was out performed by my G standard cruddy netgear AP.

(I live next to the post office some strange emissions from that building)

Still a great captive portal with lots of options and bandwidth toys that you can implement at the AP! APs also have Ethernet passthrough which can be handy (you can also put the pass through client in with the wifi clients and restrict them

5. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

swiftysw1 (7th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    The radio performance is good HOWEVER it is abysmal with interference.
    I concur 100%, and this is important. On one Meraki deployment I've had to manually set the wifi channels for each AP as the automatic channel setting is terrible at coping with the nearby interference.

If you're in a clean signal area, you're golden. If you're in a congested area you may run into problems.

Also worth pointing out that only the MR12 and MR16 have a second Ethernet port. The MR24 and all the outdoor APs do not have this.

7. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

swiftysw1 (7th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for Aerohive and LAN3, installed over Easter and both it and LAN3 have been excellent.

9. 2 Thanks to simpsonj:

BlueFlag (13th June 2013), swiftysw1 (7th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Given the option to do a new deployment I would go with Aerohive. Their management plane is excellent and now offers full layer 7 application control and visibility. You don't need to worry about losing connectivity as this is not a 'cloud' controller but a distributed architecture across all access points.

http://blogs.aerohive.com/blog/the-w...d-intelligence
    Last edited by Destinova; 7th June 2013 at 04:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    I have several sites running Hosted Unifi on AWS, the cost is staggering... A massive 40p a month for traffic.
    I'm so disgusted, I'm off to spend £20k on another popular brand name system as its clearly obvious that spending five or even six figures is the only way to get decent Wifi in system and its not my money anyway so why should I care.
    Only joking... +1 Unifi , if Carlsberg made Wifi Im sure it would have a glowing LED ring in the middle.
    How many access points is that using? I've been looking at having this exact same setup.

Thank Post
    Some great ideas here, but anybody mind sharing roughly how much it would cost? We are thinking of replacing old HP system and will be looking for 20-25 APs plus couple of external ones. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Ruckus have a bundle deal on at the moment, contact either net-ctrl or CP LTD for pricing and details. But the saving is quite large.
    Last edited by Dragon; 11th June 2013 at 03:27 PM.

14. Thanks to Dragon from:

CPLTD (9th August 2013)

Thank Post
    The Ruckus Bundle offers are great and currently running until the end of the month i believe, and they are:

Ruckus Wireless 3050 ZoneDirector w/ 25 x 7363 ZoneFlex with Ruckus 3050 ZoneDirector Premium Support - 5 Years - £9,200.00

Ruckus Wireless 3050 ZoneDirector w/ 25 x 7982 ZoneFlex with Ruckus 3050 ZoneDirector Premium Support - 5 Years - £14,200.00

If you then buy an additional 10,20 etc 7363, 7373 or 7982s on top of these bundles you will get 2, 4 etc of them for free.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prad View Post
    Meraki will continue to work fine if t'internet goes down. Usage stats and all that data just queues locally on the AP until the connection is back.
    Apologies for sounding a bit clueless here, but how does it authenticate new users etc?

Thank Post
    The APs act as RADIUS clients directly so continue to function. But the following services are lost

Network configuration changes will not take effect
    Usage statistics will become out of date
    Channel spreading and other optimizations will not run
    The Rogue AP list will not update
    If you are using Meraki-hosted RADIUS for authentication and Controller Disconnection Behavior is set to "Retricted", new clients will not be able to authenticate. By default, all new clients are denied. You can also select for all new clients to be allowed (Open). Clients who have already authenticated continue to function normally.
    Newly associated clients will not see Meraki-hosted splash pages. Clients will be given access without seeing the splash page. (depends on settings on Configure -> Access Control -> Controller Disconnection Behavior)
    If you have Meraki Billing enabled, new clients will not be able to purchase network access.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFlag View Post
    Apologies for sounding a bit clueless here, but how does it authenticate new users etc?
    Beaten to it - what he said ^

Thank Post
    well we trailed unifi and its a big no no if your school is looking for 1:1 roll out or any form of high density..
    we are now in the process of implementing a meru system and cannot wiat for a stable wireless setup +1 for meru having worked with there wireless before

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast