+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Ruckus advice needed please in Technical; Sorry if you've covered this... Do all the APs go into the same Cisco SG300 switch? Although the SG300 can ...
    Thank Post
    Sorry if you've covered this... Do all the APs go into the same Cisco SG300 switch?

Although the SG300 can deliver 15.4 watts to ports, the switch only has 62 watts of power overall. If the APs are pulling the full load, that switch could only power four at most - this could be why AP number six is struggling? Does the management console / CLI give an indication of PoE utilisation?

If the switches are hitting their limits the PSU might sort your issue or at least confirm the problem. If the APs are spread between two switches, I'm guessing its most likely a run of cable that is not quite up to spec.

Thank Post
    All 6 APs are cabled back to the same Cisco switch. Which is interesting. As it's a managed switch, I'll have a look into the performance of it next week when I'm back on that site.

I feel like I'm getting somewhere with this at least, and I'm not barking up a sole single and possibly wrong tree trying to sort out the firmware.

Thank Post
    Hi @kaphc

I've just had a look at some of my switches. My 7363 access points are only pulling about 4-4.5 Watts per port. So hitting the switch limit on your Cisco may be a red herring. Sorry if it is.

Thank Post
    Yes, my Ruckus 7363 APs too. They only pull 4W in normal mode but are spec'd I think at 15.9W.

You do have to take into account start up load which is often considerably more, so I suppose there is headroom. Anyway, I'm glad I selected the 300-10MP and not the 10P. I run 2 x 300-10MP with 6 number APs on each.

Thank Post
    The power analysis is interesting, even if it may not be the fault I'm looking for. Given that I placed the order for the Ruckus support over a week ago and still have heard nothing back from the supplier about whether this is in place now, it's worth me looking at all avenues cos I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall. The problem is that until one of the APs disconnects ... I have to assume that swapping the two APs over has fixed it so it's now a waiting game!

Thank Post
    Up to now I wouldn't have heard a word said against Ruckus but with a recent unresolved problem the jury is still out. I feel that consumers' expectations could be managed a little more realistically in the pre-sales phase. I've bought from a variety of vendors and suppose I should have learnt to take the promises with a pinch of salt by now.

Thank Post
    Another thought that has occurred to me - does it matter if the APs have reserved IP addresses outside the scope of DHCP. These are obtaining their IP addresses through DHCP whereas on other systems I am working with the IP addresses are reserved. Could this be a factor?

Thank Post
    Mine have fixed IPs out of the DHCP pool range, work fine.

Thank Post
    Do you mean IP addresses outside of the DHCP range or allocated out of the available DHCP range?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I install ruckus systems and if I had your problem, I would be trying another PoE switch or some power injectors.

I have systems with the APs on DHCP and statics (after reserving them on the server - unless they are not in the scope) and everything works just fine.

When you log on to the ZoneDirector, are the APs set as UK ones? sometimes they can be set as US and they use more power... perhaps check that?

11. Thanks to Joanne from:

kaphc (18th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Well the firmware upgrades have arrived, so I am going to apply them one by one to see how we get on. Given that the first one is an hour and counting .... this is going to take a while.

I feel like I have more of a grip on the situation now at least, where I know where the APs are and which is the most prone to dropping out. I've decided that the next step is to follow the supplier's advice and do the firmware upgrade and then keep the PoE injectors and mains power as the next solution if there are further issues. It's one of these issues where if I try too many solutions at once, I'll never know which has fixed it! But I do feel much clearer on the path to sorting it out - and the bottom line is I have been able to explain to the ICT Co-ordinator that it's his classroom which is served by the temperamental AP and explain the impact that this has on his ICT lessons if the AP is down.

Thanks to everyone for the information so far.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12