+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless point to point in Technical; Evening all. I need to connect to buildings no more than 300m apart and am looking at wireless point to ...
    Thank Post

Wireless point to point

Evening all.

I need to connect to buildings no more than 300m apart and am looking at wireless point to point and wondered if anyone has done this in the past and who and what equipment you used?

I have to look at wireless as it is impossible to install a fibre connection as there is a government oil pipe running under the car park and whilst it is possible to get the permission to lay a line, timeframe on the project doesn't allow for it.

Been looking at different products and really do not have a clue! Looking to get minimum of 100mbps. I am assuming that if the AP is connected to a switch then the connection is a backhual? Will this allow for users to logon to the network as normal?

If anyone can recommend some companies I can talk to, that would be most helpful.

Wayne

Thank Post
    Two access points and bridge them. Do you currently have wireless?

Also is it not possible to run a external grade fibre above the head similar to how a phone line comes into a building, that would be more reliable.

Thank Post
    We currently have a Dell/Aurba wireless in place, controller less. The APs will need to be outdoor.

We have thought about going above the ground but the distance between the buildings means the cable will be too long.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I've done this. Been in place for 2 or 3 years. Works well except when kids kick (extremely well aimed) footballs at it.
    IIRC We get around 300Mbs at probably 200-300M
    We use 5GhZ ubiquiti nanostations

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    ^ that would do.
    looks like the generation above ours.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cmpwat View Post
    We currently have a Dell/Aurba wireless in place, controller less. The APs will need to be outdoor.
    We're using a couple of our standard Ruckus access points and an external IP-rated instrument box, 25 from Maplin. The access points are powered via Po and with Ruckus' system you just enable wireless meshing on the controller and the rest just happens. One access point is outside, the other one is several walls deep inside a very solid building, and we seem to get a good signal in all weathers. This has the advantage that we now have wireless coverage in the area between the two access pointsm which might be a handy bonus.

Thank Post
    Ubiquity kit is the best stuff to get for outdoor stuff. 300m is quite a distance just before you put anything up make sure no one else near to where your going to put up your antennas is also using antennas, if there are any ask see if anyone knows what frequency they are on because you dont want to use the same frequency. Also make sure you have good line of site, although the ubiquity stuff has a good beam range LOS is still good if you have it. Try and use the open 24Ghz frequency if you can as it's license free.... Just make sure no one near your 300m is using the same.

I have a friend whop does this type of thing for a living all over Europe, I am also considering doing a similar thing but over a 1Km distance.

Thank Post
    +1 for ubiquiti nanostation. 300m will be no problem providing you have line of sight. You should get somewhere in the region of 100Mbps of actual data throughput.

Thank Post
    I had a rather large Point to Point network at my former Job. It was using Ubiquiti Gear. It was for a Town Government I worked at, I had the main unit on top of the Town Hall->Went to a Cell Tower-> From there went to multiple water tanks and then to a few different buildings. only two or three buildings actually used it (like a very remote waste water building) for most it was just backup to the 1GB fiber. It worked great when it worked, which was most of the time. but Be warned, they take a beating from the weather to about every 2yrs you will be replacing them - which isn't cheap. Also make sure you get your wavelenghts right - with the point to point you have to mount one horizontal/vertical for certain wavelengths. I used Aurba for indoor APs but for outdoor point-2-point I didn't really like them.

Also you will want to do a site scan for nearby wireless at both locations (and maybe in between) make sure no one is one a channel to use and both locations. You should alos invest in some Ubiquiti Aerial cable it holds up better than just using Direct Barrier cable like most people do - it dries out in the air and degrades.
    Last edited by jfinnigan; 25th May 2013 at 04:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Ubiquiti air fiber! The only way to go! 1.4gps true throughput. We have one setup going to 2 school buildings works great. I will say the farther the distance the better. The alignment is hard to hit at close range.

Gaz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Have you any experience of it @plexer ?

I'm planning for the future and this looks like a great within budget gigabit wireless link. Does anyone know of any UK suppliers?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Have you any experience of it @plexer ?

I'm planning for the future and this looks like a great within budget gigabit wireless link. Does anyone know of any UK suppliers?
    I think Wireless Access Points & Bridges, WiFi, Mesh, Point to Point & Multipoint, 3G & LTE Cellular Gateways - 4Gon - 4Gon Solutions and MS (Distribution) UK Ltd. - Wireless Antenna, RF Cables, Ubiquiti, PC Engines ALIX, MikroTik RouterBOARDS, 802.11n MIMO Radios and WiFi Accessories 2.4Ghz 5.8Ghz are the big suppliers in the UK.

14. Thanks to Chris_ from:

Gaz (5th June 2013)

Gaz

Thank Post
    Excellent thanks. I did a quick google but my googlefu isn't great today.
    At 2.7K thats a realistic option for us. Problem is the buildings are only about 150-200 meters away from each other and as code9ster said there may be problems with such a short distance.

Thank Post
    What sort of bandwidth do you need? We went for the NanoStations as we didn't really need gigabit speeds.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast