+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, New WLAN system. in Technical; Hi all, we are looking at replacing our old Wireless system, I was contacted recently by Enterasys, we are sitting ...

Thank Post

New WLAN system.

Hi all,

we are looking at replacing our old Wireless system, I was contacted recently by Enterasys, we are sitting down with them next week and just wanted to see if anyone had had any experience with them?

They look like they are pretty successfull in the US edu market so would be good to know people's opinions of them? Obviously we are sitting down with the usual suspects, Ruckus, Aerohive etc.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Ask BT Business to quote you on Ruckus, supply, install, config & training, came out really really cheap for us!! I think it only cost 50k for controller & redundant controller, 95 APs.

Thank Post
    Wow that seems quite expensive, we have just deployed 88 Meraki AP's in a school for 39k

Thank Post
    Hi peter
    Whereabouts is your school?
    Happy to put you in touch with local schools running Meru and put you in touch with a qualified partner
    Mark
    mhowell@merunetworks.com

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by petertec View Post
    Hi all,
    we are looking at replacing our old Wireless system, I was contacted recently by Enterasys, we are sitting down with them next week and just wanted to see if anyone had had any experience with them?
    Great, youīre sitting down with them. Could you please ask them when/if "IPv6 over CAPWAP protocol" will be supported? Thatīs what I am missing on the Enterasys Wifi solution.
    (Perhaps it will help, if you give them that paper from Cisco http://d2zmdbbm9feqrf.cloudfront.net...RKEWN-2010.pdf (page 79) )
    Last edited by snoerre; 20th May 2013 at 09:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snoerre View Post
    Great, youīre sitting down with them. Could you please ask them when/if "IPv6 over CAPWAP protocol" will be supported? Thatīs what I am missing on the Enterasys Wifi solution.
    (Perhaps it will help, if you give them that paper from Cisco http://d2zmdbbm9feqrf.cloudfront.net...RKEWN-2010.pdf (page 79) )

No problem @snoerre, will do! How have you found the Enterasys solution in general? Meeting them this week.

Thank Post
    Great, thanks.
    Talking about the Enterasys, I havenīt had any clients complaining about "unstable" connectivity for some months. As long those donīt complain, I wonīt either at the moment (Yes, there were bugs. Just log in to the enterasys support homepage and read the release notes). But they have been fixed.

If you go with Enterasys, you have to pay for the controller, the access points and licenses for the access points plus software support contract. Hardware warranty is nowadays a kind of limited lifetime for (some?) controllers, I think(, which wasnīt the case when I bought those ). Also, go for the smallest devices (AP3705) and put in more if needed.
    Last edited by snoerre; 20th May 2013 at 12:17 PM.

8. Thanks to snoerre from:

petertec (20th May 2013)

Thank Post
    how did they compare in terms of price, @ass17 mentioned a Ruckus 95 AP solution for 50k and @nelsons a 88 AP meraki solution at 39k. I'm sure we will get some more info this week but I had never heard of them before and looking for a little background info. Appreciate the help!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also to add scale to that, for under 5 grand you could put in a basic Unifi system with 90 APs.

Upscale to the latest all singing all dancing AC access points, again 90, is around Ģ13.5k.
    Thats not including any cabling or extra switches though but that wouldnt add that much.. Worth considering!

Thank Post
    @synaesthesia Unifi is Ubiquiti right? How can it be so much cheaper than other solutions? I have used 'non enterprise' solutions in the past like Netgear and don't really want to again. Meraki, Ruckus, Enterasys, from what I can gather seem to have similar pricing. For Ubiquiti to be so much lower rings alarm bells? I'm sure I have read on here somewhere that Unifi came bottom on performance tests?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it's Ubiquiti. It'll piddle on any of those other non enterprise solutions and performance is hardly bad, especially when you look at the new AC models. (we're only going for the standards after a successful trial period of them). It depends on a lot including what you're doing with them, how many clients, what those clients are likely to be doing etc. Just want to make sure you're aware of other solutions other than the big managed setups. Regardless of "how badly they perform" or "how cheap they seem", you would be utterly daft to choose the likes of Ruckus, Meraki or Meru to name a few if you're only intending to provide basic guest wireless and serve a few teacher devices.

Thank Post
    we are trying to 'future proof' in that we are looking at quite an extensive BYOD program for around 1000 students and teachers. Devices are only ever going to increase so we want a solution that will scale and be able to handle a high density of devices. Its not simply a case of guest access, we need it to be far more robust than that.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not a problem. We're using ours to do similar on a far tighter budget (hence using standards) - certainly can't even start to think about spending anywhere near Ģ50k on managed systems. I love working with Ruckus in a small school (11 APs) but I certainly wouldn't have gone near it if at the time of install we knew about the Unifi setup.

// edit : btw if you have any links to said comparisons I'd be very interested to see them.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 20th May 2013 at 05:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by petertec View Post
    @synaesthesia Unifi is Ubiquiti right? How can it be so much cheaper than other solutions??
    Well, Unifi is centrally managed, but the client traffic isnīt forwarded to the controller, where you can control what the users can do (Thatīs why Iīm interested in "IPv6 over CAPWAP", as this is the "tunnel protocol" Enterasys uses between the access points an the controller). Instead it goes in the local subnet of the access point or another VLAN; no problem if e.g. you control all traffic there, use VRF,... But not that comfortable while setting it up.

If my current 802.11n access points get replaced (in 5,6,7,8,9,10,11, 12 years, depending on the given budget), I will definitely look at the Ubnt Unifi devices.

(PS.: I wouldnīt buy current Netgear business access points, as software support with Netgearīs switching/networking products isnīt that good at all)
    Last edited by snoerre; 20th May 2013 at 07:49 PM.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=snoerre;971995]Well, Unifi is centrally managed, but the client traffic isnīt forwarded to the controller, where you can control what the users can do (Thatīs why Iīm interested in "IPv6 over CAPWAP", as this is the "tunnel protocol" Enterasys uses between the access points an the controller). Instead it goes in the local subnet of the access point or another VLAN; no problem if e.g. you control all traffic there, use VRF,... But not that comfortable while setting it up.

I think in theory I am looking for the same thing, do we think that VLAN's are a suitable and sufficient way to control and prioritize traffic across the network. Vendors talk about policy and role based networkng that is applied dynamically across the infrastructure, VLAN's and subnets need constant attention, setting up etc. I want a logical infrastructure that can adapt and change as we add new user groups, devices etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast