+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Which wireless for BYOD? in Technical; We are a school of 45 staff and 300 students. Now that we are looking to go BYOD path like ...

Thank Post

Which wireless for BYOD?

We are a school of 45 staff and 300 students. Now that we are looking to go BYOD path like many other schools, we need a solid wireless network. The current wireless is based on 8 Cisco APs without a wireless controller. So as part of the network upgrade this year, I will be buying new Access Points to cover the whole school. So what are people using and are you happy with it. If not what do you recommend. I am looking at Cisco, Aruba, Xirrus, Meru, Aerohive, Ruckus and Meraki as the options. As far as I know Meraki and Aerohive are cloud managed. I have had an online meeting with Meraki guys and it seems to be pretty good but I haven't compared it with others. They are also sending me a trial unit so it should be here in a week or so. What features should I be looking for in the device. So should I go with the latest cloud managed or should I just stick with the traditional ones. I would also like to know the models if you recommend a particular vendor.
    On a different note, I had couple of consultants visit our school this week and after looking at the buildings(old and thick walls) they recommended to use wireless even for the faculty as it might be the cheaper and easier option. The current cabling is Cat5 and very poor quality so we won't be able to get more than 100mb speed with it. Also there are no network diagrams and it will be very time consuming to draw one. So do you think wireless is an option for staff. Or is it not recommended due to security, reliability, speed or other reasons.
    Please ask if you require any more information.
    Thanks in advance.

P.S- Here is the original thread.
    Help me design our network
    Last edited by san_narula; 2nd May 2013 at 10:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I think whichever system you buy into, you'd need at least two VLANs - one for school equipment and another for BYOD, as essentially for the most part these devices just need web access.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    I too looked at Meraki and Aerohive but eventually went for the Aerohive through a company called LAN3, once in and configured to your requirements it just works, we have had IPads, Andriod and windows wireless devices all hung off them.

Superb piece of kit and not that expensive as you will find out as they do bundle deals,

I would think that Meraki are the same but I had to make the choice farly rapidly due to IPad workshops being pushed out on schedules nothing more.

I do hope this has helped?

Thank Post
    We currently have ruckus and allow anything with wifi to connect to the system, we dont have vlans in yet but am looking at for a summer job.

The Meraki stuff looks very interesting with the option to control down to app level from the AP not having to rely on web filter/firewall at the core.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ruckus as a recommendation here. Also looking at the Meraki control side of things...

VLANS is a must if you can...

Thank Post
    What about Ubiquiti Unifi - plenty of people on here already using it, I've just started using it at one clients office, and you can do standard separation or VLAN, depending on your requirements, you can even break it down to a point where the Guest/BYOD WiFi uses a PayPal gateway to make it an income generator too, or just simply offer vouchers (like a cafe kind of thing) so that you still have an amount of control over peoples access.

Thank Post
    Running a ruckus system here with 4 VLANS. The last 3 SSIDs are configured through the smoothwall.
    Main Domain
    Staff
    Students&Post16

I have an instruction guide on here on how mine is setup (for smoothwall config). Was very easy to do. Ruckus kit just looks after its self.

Thank Post
    Aerohive primarily sell their solution as cloud based but they do a VM based controller that you can host on your own hardware on site

Thank Post
    Too much emphasis on the Wifi system rather than the BYOD management.

Before choosing a wifi vendor make sure that your underlying infrastructure is ready to support BYOD scenarios. Almost any Wifi vendors AP will bridge your client to your wired infrastructure you can do that for 50 or less but once connected how do you steer them through the minefield of Authentication, Subnets, Proxies, Firewalls and Filters...

You can spend 30k on a wifi system and still not be able to deliver BYOD as the rest of your network is ill prepared for it.

We are seeing an upsurge of MDM Solutions being pushed as a post wifi install solution to these issues as after spending $$$$'s getting BYOD client on line they find they have nothing to control them with !
    Look at the whole project not just the Wifi element and of course, I will second the Unifi option as a radio source.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post

Before choosing a wifi vendor make sure that your underlying infrastructure is ready to support BYOD scenarios. Almost any Wifi vendors AP will bridge your client to your wired infrastructure you can do that for 50 or less but once connected how do you steer them through the minefield of Authentication, Subnets, Proxies, Firewalls and Filters...

You can spend 30k on a wifi system and still not be able to deliver BYOD as the rest of your network is ill prepared for it.

We are seeing an upsurge of MDM Solutions being pushed as a post wifi install solution to these issues as after spending $$$$'s getting BYOD client on line they find they have nothing to control them with !
    Look at the whole project not just the Wifi element and of course, I will second the Unifi option as a radio source.
    Totally agree that you have to plan the core and edge network switches, we ended up installing HP 2920 at the edge for our Ruckus wireless to be installed in the summer. Took 5 months for planning and decision making!!

Ruckus is great as they currently do the AP and controller bundles, great value..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Running a ruckus system here with 4 VLANS. The last 3 SSIDs are configured through the smoothwall.
    Main Domain
    Staff
    Students&Post16

I have an instruction guide on here on how mine is setup (for smoothwall config). Was very easy to do. Ruckus kit just looks after its self.

Hi timbo343
    I tried to find your instruction guide but couldn't. Can you post the link?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Last edited by Arthur; 2nd May 2013 at 11:33 PM.

13. Thanks to Arthur from:

IrritableTech (18th June 2013)

Thank Post

Actually we are refreshing our whole IT Infrastructure so I am trying my best to make sure that the network is prepared for BYOD. I will start a new discussion thread on how to achieve that but atm I am mainly working on deciding on hardware which is BYOD ready, that's why I have asked people about the wireless systems they are using.
    Actually it will be interesting to know how many and what VLANs/SSDs others are using for both wired/wireless networks.

Thank Post
    One of the most common challenges is the Proxy config, how do you get visitors online and through your Proxy with zero intervention? PAC files, Proxy Auto config, Transparent proxy?
    I cheat, we have a dedicated VLAN and a second WAN interface with a dedicated line for the visitors. Everything else is routed through the main gateway. Super simple.

Thank Post
    One of the most common challenges is the Proxy config, how do you get visitors online and through your Proxy with zero intervention? PAC files, Proxy Auto config, Transparent proxy?
    I cheat, we have a dedicated VLAN and a second WAN interface with a dedicated line for the visitors. Everything else is routed through the main gateway. Super simple.
    So do you mean there is no filtering for the Guest VLAN at all.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast