+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Unifi on Vlans/subnets in Technical; I suspect this might be something more at the unifi end. Our standalone AP's are perfectly fine, some are vlan ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suspect this might be something more at the unifi end. Our standalone AP's are perfectly fine, some are vlan aware.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right, here's a nice easy diagram of our rough setup (there's more to ours i.e. there's a pair of routing cores, dhcp server is on the other but it matters not)

unifi.jpg

*Everything* other than the UAP's work.

Switch to switch speaks via vlan1. Works fine.
    Switch to standard AP is untagged 105. Works fine. Vlan 105 has ip helper address pointing at the right dhcp server etc, addresses allocated without problem.
    Switch to UAPs is the obvious issue. Untagged 105 like the standards is a no-go, and untagging them on vlan 1/tagged 105 also. They only work when untagged to vlan 100 (servers) but then obviously can't give out the right IPs.

I don't understand why these would be any different to any other standard AP. The understanding is simple enough for a standard one, treat it like an switch as that's all it is - uplink is the cable to switch, client connections (access ports) are wireless. Difference would be, a standard non-vlan aware AP would be like a hub or unmanaged switch. Untagged to the uplink switch on the relevant vlan (which would be 105). However these would be more like a managed switch, which need untagging to vlan 1 and tagging for 105 - as that's the tag they are configured to give the traffic from clients (the same tag stripped from the traffic going to).

That isn't difficult. So:

1) Is my understanding of these points flawed
    2) Are these points just being a pain in the ballbag for the sake of it, flouting standards by doing so
    3) Is something drastically wrong with them?

Thank Post
    Are you using the dns record so they know the address of the controller? seeing as you aren't untagging them in the same vlan as it, they won't get adopted if they can't find it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tried putting in the IP rather than adding a DNS record. Will try that monday.

Thank Post
    The UAPs must have a L3 connection to the controller. That's it.

Make sure you have the controller correctly configured first and test by adopting a point attached to the same LAN as the controller.
    Set the VLAN assignment to SSID later.

Our controller isn't even in the same country.... We use a hosted one on Amazon AWS and don't have any issues connecting them up.

We just plug them in and let them get an IP address from whatever LAN they connect to.
    Then using L2 discovery SSH into them and set the inform URL to http://mycontrollerIP:8080/inform
    As long as the AP has a clear route to the controller it will appear for adoption.
    Adopt it.
    Configure the Wireless SSIDs and assign the appropriate VLAN
    The physical port will be untagged on the UAPs hardware LAN and Tagged on all SSID VLans.
    Controller can see UAP and Vice Versa.

Works for me and I have hundreds of them working flawlessly, now Im just waiting for my .AC one to turn up next week and gigabit Wifi is on the menu.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, been looking at those. What sort of prices are those rocking up at? We can't afford to work with much hence we're going for the standards (3 pack for ~150 quid) but going from the bog standard AP's we're used to it's a huge step up.

I'm going to approach it with a clear head on Monday, it's been a long and broken week so I suspect things are getting overcomplicated in my mind.

Thank Post
    The UAP-AC will first arrive at around 220 each but I expect them to settle to 199 when they arrive in sensible quantities.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The weekend did the trick All up and running with absolutely no fuss. It's likely it was just a matter of time (waiting for changes to take effect rather than changing IP, yanking cables and wondering why things failed to work).

I'm getting older, the patience is growing

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    OK. Unifi is great but I have one large criticism.

It's a pile of s*** when you don't just have a flat network.
    Glad to hear you got it sorted and that it wasn't anything to do with Unifi. Hope that now you have it all singing and dancing we will hear of your successes with it as opposed to your pitfalls.

Unifi rocks, as I'm sure you will see for yourself.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well we've had much success with it already, it's just how it works on L3 setups. Just another step to add on to another AP really.

It's a piece of cake to set up otherwise and can be installed by a monkey. No offence of course, but for it's cost and apparent reliability along with features you only get from fully managed systems I don't think it can be touched!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Well we've had much success with it already, it's just how it works on L3 setups. Just another step to add on to another AP really.
    The multi site management in V3.1.1 is awesome, we already have several sites up an running on a single box on Amazon AWS we set up the APs and adopt them here then send them out to site.
    You can even move an AP from site to site. There are a couple of bugs such as not being able to change the smtp port but that's already being fixed.
    If you have a complex L3 fabric then put the controller in a DMZ and set up a DNS record to steer your APs to the inform url and your sorted.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12