+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Independent Wifi Test in Technical; http://www.wlanpros.com/wp-content/u...t%20Report.pdf Independant Wifi Test from wlanpros, quite interesting....

Thank Post

Independent Wifi Test

http://www.wlanpros.com/wp-content/u...t%20Report.pdf

Independant Wifi Test from wlanpros, quite interesting.

Thank Post
    Bye bye Unify.

Thank Post
    It is but doesn't include virtual cell vendors like Meru and extracom.

They make he test sound like no more than 20 iPads will work, but from experience 60 iPads connected to a ruckus 7982 will work just fine....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFlag View Post
    Bye bye Unify.
    I would read page 12 before jumping to conclusions...
    These professionals spend several pages justifying their report then proceed to describe why the report is flawed.

Bullet Point #1 on page 12,
    "This test is NOT the best possible way to evaluate access points" – we ignored many of the pressing issues of why someone might buy one vendor Access Point compared to another vendor’s AP.

If Carlsberg made Wifi .... it would service 1000 clients, have 2GB throughput, cost £10 and be installed free of charge by bikini clad pole dancers.

Unifi is despised by all of the leading vendors because of one thing... its disruptive pricing.

I've had over 100 users running on a single Unifi AP and nobody even noticed. I however never needed to have 20 iPads running simultaneous unicast streams, so much for real world testing then...

I do have however a number of clients that have collectively saved the UK taxpayers well in excess of £100,000 by choosing not to buying the expensive options, but what the heck its not your money..

5. 5 Thanks to m25man:

CHR1S (23rd April 2013), Chris_ (23rd April 2013), Netman (25th April 2013), Roberto (25th April 2013), SimpleSi (25th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Their conclusions are also tainted by their use of Apple gear which is notorious for being a bit thick and or overly verbose on WiFi networks. The results would have been more interesting with sensible client devices and each AP may well have catered for more if it was not occupied with the extensive handholding needed for the Apple gear.

Thank Post
    I just ignored it as they couldn't write a proper executive summary - amateurs
    Not worth reading
    Simon

You'd get a better report from one of school councils
    Q: has the new wifi ever failed on the netbooks?
    A: Yes - When the teacher tried to use them in the wooden hut in the middle of the field
    (And when the power went off to the school )
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 25th April 2013 at 12:30 AM.

8. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

CHR1S (25th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Their conclusions are also tainted by their use of Apple gear which is notorious for being a bit thick and or overly verbose on WiFi networks. The results would have been more interesting with sensible client devices and each AP may well have catered for more if it was not occupied with the extensive handholding needed for the Apple gear.
    If you're right then they're testing a "worse case" use scenario and they're doing so consistently. Not sure how that "taints" the report?

Having said that, the "report" appears to be written by a bunch of amateurs or schoolkids anyway, so I'd pay it about as much regard as I would the opinions of the person in PC World who thinks I should rip out our aruba infrastructure and replace it with netgears from them.

10. Thanks to Roberto from:

SimpleSi (25th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ass17 View Post
    It is but doesn't include virtual cell vendors like Meru and extracom.
    Because the way the channel blanket vendors' products work a single AP test is completely pointless.

It would be really interesting to see what a 6 AP test looks like in various configurations for coverage, range, density and throughput.

I suspect that such a test would show each vendor to have a different strength/weakness.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    If you're right then they're testing a "worse case" use scenario and they're doing so consistently. Not sure how that "taints" the report?

Having said that, the "report" appears to be written by a bunch of amateurs or schoolkids anyway, so I'd pay it about as much regard as I would the opinions of the person in PC World who thinks I should rip out our aruba infrastructure and replace it with netgears from them.
    Worst case yes but they may have ended up testing the nonsense mitigation features more than the abilities of the gear itself. If someone would nuke apple we'd probably need a third less APs and a whole bunch less bridging tech in the middle to patch over the things they have screwed up. From the promotional material I got fed at least half of aerohive's product offering is built specifically to patch over stuff apple has produced from their backside.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    This is a rather ignorant statement, in light of the fact that Keith Parsons is one of the most respected wireless professionals in North America and has probably forgotten more about 802.11 than anyone on these boards will ever know.

The test was designed (as is mentioned in the first pages) to take all of these access points to their limit, to their breaking point. The point at which they stopped being able to service any clients. This, done using an example that we as edu professionals should all be well familiar with, a classroom full of tablets.

If you think that 30 iPads streaming multicast video is not a real-world scenario, then you are behind the times.
    Last edited by Destinova; 29th April 2013 at 01:50 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread