+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Teachers Laptops, Internet Access in Technical; I am soon going to have to allow teacher to access t'internet from their school laptops. I can see a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,472 Posts

Teachers Laptops, Internet Access

I am soon going to have to allow teacher to access t'internet from their school laptops.

I can see a number of issue to overcome, but assuming they are all av'ed up to date and spyware protected.

the other issues revolve around their type of net connection, dialup, adsl, adsl with wireless router and proxy settings.

Some of them may require no proxy for their home connection but the schools proxy internally.

They could use IE in school and firefox at home or FF with a proxy switcher in school.

Another option would be to have a publically accessible proxy server in school that they connect through from home to ensure traffic is av scanned and malware checked.

I dunno???

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Re: Teachers Laptops, Internet Access

This may help you in the short term - its a bit of AutoIT script which when compiled will run IE but set your proxy settings before etc. [ Your proxy switcher you mentioned, you could have two - one for home and one for the school ]

RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer\Main", "First Home Page", "REG_SZ", "http://www.google.co.uk")
    RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer\Main", "Start Page", "REG_SZ", "http://www.google.co.uk")
    RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Win dows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyServer", "REG_SZ", "YOURPROXYSERVER:PORT")
    RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Win dows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "Proxyenable", "REG_DWORD", "1")
    RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Win dows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyOverride", "REG_SZ", "intranet")
    Run('C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe')

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,510 Posts
    Blog Entries

Have the domain accounts for work setup so it goes through the proxy server. Have local accounts for the users to use at home with there ISP.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester
    Have the domain accounts for work setup so it goes through the proxy server. Have local accounts for the users to use at home with there ISP.
    Not always feasible. If the school is anything like mine, they use the local accounts regardless of where they are. I wish it was this simple

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,510 Posts
    Blog Entries

Restrict SIMS on local accounts or something can you set the logon between certain hours for local users some how?.

Thank Post

Perhaps setup PAC settings so that the system will try to contact the PAC server. If at school it'll pick up the proxy settings.. if not it'll timeout and use the default (direct).

Can't remember if that works tho'... anyone?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester
    Restrict SIMS on local accounts or something can you set the logon between certain hours for local users some how?.
    It wouldn't be generally accepted. It keeps it simple to have one user account for the laptops and another for the computers that are kept at school. The laptops are on the domain, but they never used it that way.

Having to change from local to domain accounts depending on their location and having to connect a network cable depending on which account they use would cause confusion.

Thank Post

I am thinking of using a virtual machine for home internet use. At the moment i havent put any thought into it or tried it out due to lack of time. but you have the schools connection then load up the vm to run on the home connection

Thank Post

Our teacher laptops are setup for use on the domain only, no local accounts - all gets too messy with these, risks of lost work, password problems etc.

We then have offline files enabled on them so staff can have access to all their network files without having to copy stuff to and from the laptop. (this does cause some problems, but the benefits far out weigh the problems)

Staff also have access to their local C:\ drive, so can store stuff locally if their choose, but they are strongly advised not to for obvious reasons! This is handy however for allowing them to make local copies of resources that are normally on the Public drive, which obviously aren't available offline.

We use specially setup network groups to grant users local admin rights to their laptops for limited time periods to allow them to install their home broadband software etc. but we provide absolutely NO support for their use on the internet at home what-so-ever. If they can't get it to work, then we will have a look at it, but we don't get too involved.

As for the proxy server, we give them instructions on how to change the setting. Once they've done it a few times, they soon pick it up. If they forget to put it on when they're in school, the system treats them as a student, so they suddenly find they can't access stuff!

We also have sophos AV setup so it updates from our sophos server when in school, and directly from sophos (or in our case our LEAs server) when used on the net out of school. This means the virus checker is always up-to-date whenever it's online.

The only issues we've had is with a few staff members using bit-torrent and limewire on their laptops, and some staff members letting their kids install games etc. which we soon put a stop to. Also ocassionally staff will go over their storage quota while offline and the laptop will fail to syncronise when it gets back to the network. This normally only happens after a holiday period.

This setup has worked well for us for the last 18 months.

Mike.

Thank Post

As for the proxy server, we give them instructions on how to change the setting.
    Or use the 11 lines of code I have supplied....

Thank Post

You could have a transparent proxy but i suppose that'd be no good since no authentication on it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

a proxy auto-configuration script:
    function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
    {
    if (isInNet(myIpAddress(), "192.168.1.0", "255.255.255.0"))
    return "PROXY 192.168.1.1:8080";
    else
    return "DIRECT";
    }
    http://nscsysop.hypermart.net/proxypac.html

Thank Post

Initially our teachers' laptops are set up for use within school - static IP though our proxy server.

If they want Internet access at home I change their settings to DHCP & no proxy and let them set up their home connection.

Once that is done they return the machine to me, I install a bit of software called Multi Network Manager with 20 day free trial. This lets me save their home settings on a "Home" profile, then I save their school settings as a "School" profile.

When this is done they have to cough up online for the Multi Network Manager licence - $18. From then on their home connection is down to them - they cock it up, they fix it!

Seems to work pretty well

RoyG

Thank Post

CyberNerd wins by 4 lines..... :-)

Nice one. I always was a loser......

Thank Post

I do like the proxy pac idea - it is a very nice way of doing it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread