+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Ruckus Help Please in Technical; Did not notice you were running XP - our D531's run windows 7 64 bit no problem - do you ...
    Thank Post
    Did not notice you were running XP - our D531's run windows 7 64 bit no problem - do you have MS schools agreement that will you upgrade to win 7? appreciate it is a big step if you are all XP at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by staningrimsby View Post
    OK so today I decided to wipe the laptop trolley completely and start again, I have got XP SP3 back on my master laptop but have noticed
    that the Windows Zero Wireless Configuration is taking its time loading and thus slowing down the response of the laptop.

Is there anyway of forcing the wireless to connect quicker ?? I have just rebooted and its taken around a minute for the windows wireless to kick in and let me on the network
    WZC should be starting as a service when the machine loads. Anything in event viewer showing what might be broken with it?

Thank Post
    No we dont have the licence agreement so it costs around£32 per machine to upgrade.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by staningrimsby View Post
    No we dont have the licence agreement so it costs around£32 per machine to upgrade.
    Not got EES either?

Just realised @maark may have been meaning EES when he said Microsoft Schools Agreement, sorry!
    Last edited by RTFM; 14th March 2013 at 03:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    Not got EES either?

Just realised @maark may have been meaning EES when he said Microsoft Schools Agreement, sorry!
    Nope no EES or anything the school just but licences as and when required, for a bit of an update though I have managed to find some draft 802.11n wireless cards for the laptops. They are apparently 2.4 and 5ghz so I have ordered 2 of them and if they work ok will order another 28 and see what happens.

Thank Post
    We have quite a lot of Ruckus kit and it is generally very good. We were stung by Kerberos stopping working on XP clients (or rather for random users) and I was very disappointed that Ruckus knew about it and didn't own up to it. It would have saved us hours. It's definitely a Ruckus bug, but I wouldn't hold your breath, as the workaround does work. There is a GPO ADM Template that can be downloaded and used here (Using TCP for Kerberos Transactions) to update all your XP clients. W7 and above uses TCP already, so doesn't need (or want!) the fix. We have also found that the version of driver on your network cards makes a huge difference. Low reported speeds normally means the driver is out-of-date. Intel seems especially sensitive, but at least they have an update checker. As previously mentioned, you will need to select AES to get the full N speeds, that your clients are capable of. (Generally, we see most laptops connecting at 130mbps with Good to Very Good signal strength. E.g. not excellent signal.) It's always worth a quick check with inSSIDer to see if there is channel conflict. Even if the Ruckus kit is good, it will only work well if it has pretty clear channels. Old wireless should definitely be turned off.
    I wouldn't chuck the Ruckus yet, as in general we see it perform at least as well as the rest and the educational deals at the moment are excellent.

Thank Post
    Hi Wilderbeest, thanks for the info but I have sent the Ruckus equipment back now I was quite disappointed with it to be honest had all sorts of problems with the older laptops so back it went, I then decided to reconfigure the crappy En-Genius solution that the school already had and the laptops all log on first go its difficult to understand how a system that costs less than £1000 can appear to work better than one that costs 10 times that.

Thank Post
    Sorry I've come a little late to the thread. I know precious little about all this in relative terms but I have just put a Ruckus wireless solution in my school and its superb so there must be some configuration issues. We can have two laptop trolleys (60 laptops) in the same area of the school (two APs) and have no issues whatsoever.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12