+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Managed wireless advice needed in Technical; Hi all, We're looking to upgrade our wireless network (and possibly our wired) to support batches of iPads, initially 30 ...

Thank Post

Managed wireless advice needed

Hi all,

We're looking to upgrade our wireless network (and possibly our wired) to support batches of iPads, initially 30 but with the potential to scale to around 200. Currently we have a Netgear WG102 AP in each of our 8 classrooms that just about support either 15 laptops or notebooks. I've been looking at Ruckas and Meraki products (Specifically the Meraki MR16) and I'd like to know how many clients one of their managed AP could comfortably manage? Our classes back on to each other so I'm wondering if 1 AP between 2 classes would suffice? Also, our wired network is 100M/bit, would I need to upgrade our switches to 1Gb, and would these need to be 'managed' as well?

Sorry there's 3 questions in one post but I'm assuming there are others that have had to go through this process

Thank Post
    I can say anything about ruckus or meraki but there are alot of people on here who use them that will come along soon im sure. I would suggest at least 1gbic back to the core and then the APs running on gbic links and depending on your set maybe throwing all the wireless onto it's own VLAN. Running vlans would require the use of managed switches.

Thank Post
    Most ruckus APs will support 50 or so clients comfortably. The ones we are looking at are the 7363.

A 1gb backbone of managed switches is a MUST to allow you data wired and wireless the best throughput. VLANs are a must to segregate and route traffic on your network. If you want a great price on ruckus go to BT Business, very cheap and they will offer installation/configuration and support also.

Thank Post
    Don't forget to check out unifi by ubiquiti . very good value for money imho

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markwilfan View Post
    Don't forget to check out unifi by ubiquiti . very good value for money imho
    Pro version is best, you can get 3x pack for 500.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ass17 View Post
    Pro version is best, you can get 3x pack for 500.
    Definite +1 for the pros

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Since you are going for a large number of wireless devices per head, I would strongly recommend dual band dual radio 2x2:2 minimum for your APs.

I would also suggest that if you have any non 'n' capable end user devices that you either replace them, or ensure that you have coverage sufficient to isolate them into their own set of channels (or channel blanket if you go Meru) to prevent them from effectively crippling the AP and nearby clients.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the responses, have added in some budget for some Gig managed switches. I'm planning on VLAN-ing the AP's, putting the iPads on the 5GHz channel and the other wireless clients on the 2.4GHz channel. Those Ubiquiti Unifi pro's seem almost to good to be true, anyone using them that could advise how many clients they would (adequately) support?

Thank Post
    Read this and you will see that unifi pro can't handle more than 10 iPads under stress.
    http://www.wlanpros.com/wp-content/u...t%20Report.pdf

Thank Post
    Just remember iPads maximum throughput is 65mb no faster. 5GHz Cannot penetrate solid walls very well like 2.4 can.

Thank Post
    Interesting report considering a school local to me tested its Unifi (standard point) by streaming HD video on 30 Macbook pros at once and they said they noticed no slowdown from it.

I'm actually slightly surprised that almost no AP could have 20 iPads too.

Edit: Did anyone else find the fact they changed the colour for each AP constantly a little annoying?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    Interesting report considering a school local to me tested its Unifi (standard point) by streaming HD video on 30 Macbook pros at once and they said they noticed no slowdown from it.

Edit: Did anyone else find the fact they changed the colour for each AP constantly a little annoying?
    do you know if the video was being multicasted? in which case there's only a single stream of traffic coming from the AP and all devices receive this single stream only requires about 3-5Mbps. I'd be very surprised if a standard unifi AP was capable of 30 HD unicast streams.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Achandler;946630]
    [QUOTE]

Physics. a 1:1 device takes longer to broadcast/recieve the same data as a 2x2 or better. Thus 1:1 devices in a broadcast domain reduce its capacity. Some systems are better at minimising the impact than others.

Thank Post
    we have entrasys wireless network here at TDA, most number of clients off 3 AP's has been 500 items connected, had to up the IP block to a /15 to give me enough IP's for future proofing.

none of them know they are only connected to 3 AP's

we also looked at other options for one of our primary schools, hp came back with a option which would offer the 5GHz to ipads and 2.4 to every windows laptop.

had some really silly prices bounced about by some of them providers listed on this site. anyone else found some of them to be what i would say is mega bucks for wireless only solutions without being able to offer the backbone hard switches.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What were those 500 clients doing?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread