+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Sharing Lan To WiFi For Iphone And Tablet At Uni Private Halls. in Technical; I was thinking of using an old router or an access point (I'm trying to get a Free one from ...
    Thank Post

Sharing Lan To WiFi For Iphone And Tablet At Uni Private Halls.

I was thinking of using an old router or an access point (I'm trying to get a Free one from 'Freecycle' unless someone can give me something suitable ) to share (for my daughters use only in her private halls flat, one of her flat mates has a similar set up by her dad.) the Lan connection for her iphone and her tablet .

I have looked in the AUP and cannot see where it can not be done.

Set up now.
    The Lan is connected by a RJ45 to her laptop and on it's first use needed login and password details.

The Lan's Ip is in the range of 10.210.10.390.

Proposed set up.
    If I had the RJ45 from the wall socket plugged into a the switch of the router or AP, then another cable to the laptop then set up the WiFi on a different IP range 192.168.1.1 for the iphone etc, set up good WPA security passwords.

Would the laptop have to be switched on to get authentication. ?

I would have to be careful of 'double Natting' .

Would that work ?

Any advice please.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Get a wireless router that has the ability to be setup as an access point only or a bridge. You could probably get an old Linksys WAP54G off of ebay cheap enough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

Thank Post
    I'd double check with the University IT services. Certainly I know when I was at uni once they'd figured out what you were doing they blocked your access. Do they not have site-wide eduroam access? Or does it not extend to the halls (quite possible I suppose if it's not a campus uni)?

It sounds like they're running 802.1x as well (from the user/password combo) so it's possible they'll lock down access to that IP to specific mac addresses, and getting the router to authenticate will likely be non-trivial.

Thank Post
    Thanks Ben I'm looking in to that device it looks very useful.

She's in Private halls not run by the uni and I know there ISP is 'Emnet' (I did sent them an email to support but had no reply yet), I had a look at the on-line AUP for WiFi hot spots but could not see where they are not to have one.

The uni WiFi signal is not strong enough for a good connection.

Re " getting the router to authenticate will likely be non-trivial." Any idea's on getting around that ?.
    Last edited by tickmike; 28th February 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Most universities explicitly ban the use of hubs and routers in rooms. They only allow connection via the wired network. I would be surprised if the private hall wasn'ton the uni Network.

That said, my eldest has installed software on her laptop that makes it into a hotspot for her wifi only devices. I've no idea what she used, but will ask.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Most universities explicitly ban the use of hubs and routers in rooms. They only allow connection via the wired network. I would be surprised if the private hall wasn'ton the uni Network.

That said, my eldest has installed software on her laptop that makes it into a hotspot for her wifi only devices. I've no idea what she used, but will ask.
    I know it's Not on the uni system because She had a problem with emails when she first went there and I was in touch with the uni IT chaps, Emnet is the ISP.

I set her Linux laptop up to act as an WiFi Ad-Hoc network but last weekend when I went to see her we could not get it to connect to her iPhone (some iPhone bug stops it , lot of people having problems with Ad-Hoc on there iPhones).
    Last edited by tickmike; 28th February 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I've no idea what she used
    Probably Virtual Router (free) or Connectify (a waste of money).

You don't actually need any third-party software with Windows 7 to create a virtual wireless AP.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    I'm still waiting for a reply, but she has her iPhone and Galaxy Note 10.1 working fine through it.

EDIT

The software was Connectify Me - It was free
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 28th February 2013 at 09:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Thank you but see above posts !.
    Last edited by tickmike; 28th February 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Reading the AUP I note this section and to me it looks like it is ok to share the Lan.

"Internet Connection Sharing.

If you share the resources of your internet connection over a Private Network on your premises, you must make sure that your network is secure, and that any Internet Connection Sharing software that you are using does not permit access from outside of your network. This is especially important if running an "Open Proxy Server". This is because an "Open Proxy Server" will allow other users of the internet to exploit your internet connection, and use it as if it were their own. For example, an external user could access your local network or send unsolicited e-mail(s) that would appear to come from you."

Thank Post
    When I was in halls, I just bought myself a cheap cable router, spoofed the MAC of my laptop, and hid the SSID
    Worked a dream!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garethm View Post
    When I was in halls, I just bought myself a cheap cable router, spoofed the MAC of my laptop, and hid the SSID
    Worked a dream!!
    You'd still've been found at my uni. They were very hot on people doing that. With people having their net connection cut off entirely for it.

I'd check with the IT services people before doing it, else you could find yourself cut off with no appeal.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 956 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You'd still've been found at my uni. They were very hot on people doing that. With people having their net connection cut off entirely for it.

I'd check with the IT services people before doing it, else you could find yourself cut off with no appeal.
    Just to play it safe would be a good idea to run it by the I.T Department and if they need any info ie the mac address of the device ( whether you get a cable router or a 5 or 8 port switch + wifi access point ) and can set it up however you want / need to

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread