+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Aruba wireless system in Technical; We have Aruba. Works really well and never any problems although I would probably take a serious look at Ruckus ...

Thank Post
    We have Aruba. Works really well and never any problems although I would probably take a serious look at Ruckus as it has some great features.

2. Thanks to bclarke from:

kili (27th February 2013)

Thank Post

Dell Aurba Wireless Guest Access

Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    We have Aruba also, its absolutely rock solid, has never crashed and works perfectly.

As others have said it does have a slightly complicated web interface, but we managed to setup Guest wireless with it no problems.
    Hi Zag, I noticed that you have a guest wireless setup using the Aurba APs..... Was wondering if you could give me some pointers on how to set it up? I am trying at the moment. I have the 105 APs with no physical controller.

Wayne

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmpwat View Post
    Hi Zag, I noticed that you have a guest wireless setup using the Aurba APs..... Was wondering if you could give me some pointers on how to set it up? I am trying at the moment. I have the 105 APs with no physical controller.

Wayne
    I have the same system, when you create a new SSID there is a wizard that can take you through most of it, you can choose to have them just provide an email address or logon with credentials to get authenticated. You can also limit them to certain locations or put them on a different VLAN and let other network hardware handle that.

Thank Post
    and that's the info I was after!

I have setup the guest wifi and the authentication ok, but its the pointing that's throwing me. If I want the wifi to only allow access to the interweb, where do I point it?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have setup the guest wifi and the authentication ok, but its the pointing that's throwing me. If I want the wifi to only allow access to the interweb, where do I point it?
    We point it to a seperate internet router on the same subnet, works well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you have a proxy point the ip restrictions at that, otherwise I think there is a way to filter out the local IP range, except for the local gateway to the net and do it that way. Have not actually set that up at that school but would probably use VLANs and our core router to do the segmentation for better speed, it depends on your setup though.

Thank Post
    We had it deployed over some 70+ sites from 2 controllers at 2 separate data centers with some 200+ AP's and it worked fine where I was before. The guest VLAN was great for us so we could limit and publish a separate SSID.

Another feature was the RAPs so you could easily expand the network or if users worked from home saved any extra steps just like them been in the office.

Alot of pubs use Aruba to provide the guest WIFI. I would quite happily put Aruba in if I could.

Thank Post
    We have got an Aruba system at my school. We have 2systens, one which is controller based and a new system which is there Aruba instants. These are good as you don't need a controller, it's all done on a virtual controller.

What's you location?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstech View Post
    We have got an Aruba system at my school. We have 2systens, one which is controller based and a new system which is there Aruba instants. These are good as you don't need a controller, it's all done on a virtual controller.

What's you location?
    Those Aruba Instants look great!

Thank Post
    We've had Aruba here since we first rolled out laptops - over 8 years ago. I have to "admin" it so infrequently, I've actually missed out using entire version upgrades until the next update comes out. I think we've had to replace 6 AP's in 8 years due to failure. We have over 100 AP's here, with another 35 to go up. It just works. It's complicated, yes, but it does seem to be a fire and forget solution.

<edited for spelling>

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The IAP (virtual controler) ones are easy enough, there are a couple of wizards to step you through basic setups, the longist bit was screwing in the brackets for the APs.

Thank Post
    We have Cicso here, but Ruckus at my previously place which I preferred, although I don't think I ever got close to looking at all the features.

Thank Post
    I'd be interested in hearing if anyone got a good BYOD system working with Aruba? I gave up trying to get that working on ruckus so we're looking to replace our ruckus system in the long term with something that will handle BYOD wlans properly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing if anyone got a good BYOD system working with Aruba? I gave up trying to get that working on ruckus so we're looking to replace our ruckus system in the long term with something that will handle BYOD wlans properly.
    They featureset is simmilar, what issues were you having with Ruckus, may be able to tell you is the Aruba will be any better.

Thank Post
    With our ruckus, we can only get Windows XP clients to work with zero activation. No version of Android/OSX/IOS or smartphone we've tried will connect to the BYOD wlan using the hotspot service which is kind of the the point of byod! Ruckus' answer seems to simply be to buy a newer zone director and APs - which is why we're probably ditching them for Aruba or similar.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12