+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Calling all UNIFI users in Technical; We just started to replace our 13 Cisco 1200 AP's (all PoE) with Unifi Pro's. We bought them from WiFi-stock.co.uk ...
    Thank Post

Smile

We just started to replace our 13 Cisco 1200 AP's (all PoE) with Unifi Pro's. We bought them from WiFi-stock.co.uk for about £130.00 each (incl. shipping, excl. VAT). The new controller SW 3.0 was installed on a windows 2003 server. Uploaded a map of the school and every time we install an other Unifi AP and it shows up in the SW controller, I place it on the map. Very easy. The change from Cisco AP's to Unifi AP's on the fly was completely unnoticed by staff and student's. Only problem is that I have not found where I can change the IP address to a static IP address. Apart from that I am very satisfied with the Unifi Pro AP's up to now.
    Last edited by wensleydale; 27th April 2013 at 04:26 PM.

2. Thanks to wensleydale from:

RobFuller (27th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In the settings for each AP under "Configuration" - change from DHCP to static and add IP details as required.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    In the settings for each AP under "Configuration" - change from DHCP to static and add IP details as required.
    Thanks for that. I have tried to change from DHCP to static, but it does not let me. There must be some settings on the server, which blocks some java functions.
    I will investigate further.
    BTW, at the end of May 2013 I have 10 full functioning Cisco 1200 AP's for sale, including PSU and wall mounting bracket! Anybody interested? Send me a PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Gon View Post
    Hi carvjo,

Please accept our apologies for the unsatisfactory service you have received on this occasion. If we can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact us on info@4gon.co.uk .

Best Regards,

4Gon Solutions
    Did a forum search to see if anyone else had had problems ordering from you: I guess not..

One of my schools had difficulty ordering 3 units a year ago, and have had similar problems this year (still not turned up). Your prices are fine, but it has to be said that your service could do with with improvement!

Thank Post
    I have been extensively testing the Unifi UAP non pro model in my school.

Today I had 18 students streaming YouTube videos and surfing the web. They pulled 3.5GB worth of data through a single AP serving 18 clients in 15 minutes and the UAP didn't miss a beat. This afternoon I am doubling the attempt to increase the load to 30 students and see how it performs. I have been running various tests on it for the past few weeks and it performed great. When you take into account I have Avaya controller based 8120APs down the hall that can not handle 30 students taking an online test at the same time without dropping connections I couldn't be happier.

The real test comes later this month when we start end of term online testing in classes. We are focusing the testing in the classrooms where I have UAPs installed to see how they handle the load. Avaya and 3Com both cracked. I am anxious to see if the UAPs will do better.

Thank Post
    Unifi is brilliant but the have had supply issues.....
    http://youtu.be/fal9CmURwvg

Thank Post
    We have been using them for over a year now, a mix of pro and non-pro units.
    We have over 30 of these across our whole campus with more being added to cover the odd dark corner. We have a problem as a lot of our buildings are concrete/brick and the signal doesn't seem to permeate through all that well.
    I have seen one pro unit with over 100 simultaneous connections and it continued to work perfectly.
    We have also installed a few of the 8-port tough switches and I have found them to be brilliant and minimize the amount of cabling and plugs required in each cabinet.
    I am very tempted to try out the 3.1.1 beta software but I'm not sure how easy it would be to rollback if there was an issue and surely they're about to release the final/stable one soon?

Thank Post
    The.3.1.1 seems to be working fine, there are a few bugs, such as your unable to change smtp port numbers and a few small anomalies that don't appear to affect anything important.
    Roll back is easy the APs don't care, you can easily reset them to factory 1.1 either by paper clip or better find out the IP and SSH into them issue the factory reset command.

The only warning is voucher use, if you are using this it seems to reset your database, which is a problem if like one our clients made a load of pretty vouchers to issue to students for the whole term/year and laminated them etc....
    Now they have a load of useless vouchers after they did the auto upgrade without thinking too hard.

I have a 3.1.1 Amazon based cloud controller handling a few test sites and its fine, I can move APs between them.
    We setup a new site, put in all of the site specifics, unbox an AP, plug it into our LAN, sash in and set the Inform URL to our cloud controller and put it back in the box.

Client unboxes, connects it to their LAN and it finds its way out to the Internet in a minute or two its downloaded the site config and is online under our management.
    Great for multi Site use.

The next big thing will be the Pro Range of CCTV stuff, the existing kit whilst it works needs better features IR, AF PoE and a DVR system that doesn't need a CRAY CS300 to run it on.... but as always they announced V2 software and new hardware a year ago and we are still waiting to see it.
    Last edited by m25man; 5th May 2013 at 10:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    The next big thing will be the Pro Range of CCTV stuff, the existing kit whilst it works needs better features IR, AF PoE and a DVR system that doesn't need a CRAY CS300 to run it on.... but as always they announced V2 software and new hardware a year ago and we are still waiting to see it.
    Have you dealt with the CCTV stuff, would you be willing to post up how you found it as I am looking into a bunch of it for home.

Thank Post
    If I installed 3.1.1 will it automatically update itself to the latest/stable version when it is released?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Parker View Post
    If I installed 3.1.1 will it automatically update itself to the latest/stable version when it is released?
    You can choose to allow auto update on the windows version but the Ubuntu requires a CLI command to do it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Have you dealt with the CCTV stuff, would you be willing to post up how you found it as I am looking into a bunch of it for home.
    The hardware is good for what it costs, but the software has not lived up to expectations, everyone uses Blue Iris.
    The sensors are more that adequate but the lack of IR and decent lenses combined with the Ubiquiti PoE seriously limits integration into existing systems.

The existing system seems good enough for most well lit homes but having to mess around with separate illuminators etc. is a pain,
    I would give it 6/10 with a needs to improve...

The pro version promises to deliver, we will have to wait and see!

14. Thanks to m25man from:

SYNACK (6th May 2013)

Thank Post
    New toys. Cheaper than cabling over roads (and fields down to the pavilion)

pict0024jw.jpg
    Last edited by KK20; 5th May 2013 at 03:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    New toys. Cheaper than cabling over roads (and fields down to the pavilion)

pict0024jw.jpg
    Air Fibre is truly an amazing bit of kit if you need gigabit backhaul.
    What are you using yours for?
    We almost went for those last year at the Academy when they first came out, but at the very last minute the site we had them earmarked for was moved and we didn't need them after all.

Thank Post
    basically extending a backbone to a different site (over some roads and across a patch of land that cant be dug up!). Cheaper than getting fibre WAN in by a long stretch. We wont be going many KMs but smaller rockets weren't good enough (I suppose I could have LAGd them)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast