+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Unifi Users may find this recent upload interesting. in Technical; For all of the hard core Unifi converts here, UniFi Product Information and Updates Webinar - YouTube With V3.x testing ...

Thank Post

Unifi Users may find this recent upload interesting.

For all of the hard core Unifi converts here,

UniFi Product Information and Updates Webinar - YouTube

With V3.x testing in the final stages its an interesting watch.

2. Thanks to m25man from:

Chris_ (17th February 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm a recent convert to unifis. I have 15 now (5 packs of LR) all performing brilliantly. I dont have 100% coverage yet but I cannot sing their praises enough. We dont have more than about 15 devices connecting to each AP at any one time and have very little overlap on coverage so I cannot comment on their load balancing. Certainly roaming and handoff appears to work on laptops (not so on android phones but that is a problem with the stack they use apparantly).

Guest isolated VLAN works - once you figure out they need access to the controller on the VLAN subnet so routing of the controller ports was necessary (we didnt have an L3 switch - only smart L2 core switches- in the early stages so that was "fun"). Now we have an open guest network with the guests using routed DNS to our internal server, intranet redirects so it doesnt go out on the internet and VPN access so that staff can use their own laptops with VPN to our network if they want. Vouchers are used via the hotspot manager for "1 hour" duration (heads of department can hand these out to students for specific purposes), 1 day for visitors, 1 year for staff and a couple of "permanent" ones for exceptions (my phone and laptop etc).

I have an isolated VLAN for an old fashioned WEP SSID used for a couple of legacy devices, that VLAN connects only to the server required so insecure WEP is isolated from the rest of the network. Then there is our "normal" WPA2 SSID for our domain machines. I suppose I could theoretically run out of SSIDs now! DHCP is relayed to our DHCP server for the VLANs and routes added for the unifi controller ports

Overall they are a fantastic bit of kit for the price - although they do need a bit of work (and some forum voodoo searching) to get working fully.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds interesting - is there a text breakdown of that webinar anywhere, @m25man ? Don't have the time to listen to an hour's webinar

Thank Post
    I thumbed through it, seems that v3 has better guest portal, better load balancing, better hand off, uses existing hardware. No plans for AP updates over the air (so no true AP bridging or repeaters). New hardware on the horizon but nothing to disclose. No plans for > 4 SSIDs although it is technically possible.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Sounds interesting - is there a text breakdown of that webinar anywhere, @m25man ? Don't have the time to listen to an hour's webinar
    It's only about 25-30 minutes of information about the new updates to UniFi. The rest is just answering questions.

I'm quite excited about v3 now

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread