+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless Connection / Upload Rate Problem in Technical; I work in a medium sized school district with a mixture of Avaya Dual Band 8120 APs with an 8180 ...

Thank Post

Wireless Connection / Upload Rate Problem

I work in a medium sized school district with a mixture of Avaya Dual Band 8120 APs with an 8180 controller (in areas that were the building was recently expanded) and legacy 3Com ABG standalone AP's. There were very few places where the two units overlapped, but that is changing as we attempt to roll out more Avaya APs.

Now for the problem. From the same computer in the same area I can attach to a 3Com AP and achieve Upload / Download speeds topping 16MB. If I connect to the Avaya AP I am only able to achieve 16MB on the Download and a mere 110KB on the upload. I can not for the life of me figure out where the problem lies.

I am open to suggestions as to what I should be looking at, I can not determine from the controller what would be so severely limiting the upload rate. We are trialing web-based assessments for a couple of our courses and it has been a nightmare due to the wireless issues.

I would be grateful if anyone could point me a direction.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The access points are probably stepping all over each other. Managed systems have the ability to detect neighboring access points and change channels as needed, but unmanaged is just going to sit where it's at. If they're picking up the 3com access points and one from nearby houses/wifi hotspots this could be your issue.

Either way, I would pull all the 3com access points and swap them for your newly managed ones around the building to try and segregate them to one corner of the building.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread